Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Grocery Wars

I love going grocery shopping in Houston because in comparison to Del Rio everything here is reasonably priced specially if you know where to shop.  The long time discount grocery store has been Food Town and in their home delivered flyer they always offer a special priced coupon, be it for $1.00 off a select item or a free item altogether.


About a year and half ago HEB decided to join the grocery wars and opened up a discount store called Joe V’s.  It has all the in-house labels carried by their regular HEB stores as well as national brands but at a great discount.  I should know the prices at HEB, as they are the only grocery store we have in Del Rio.


As I have mentioned previously my culinary skills are nil to non-existent so I buy quite a lot of can goods.  I found a great bargain on ravioli (my favorite can product) a 40 oz can for .88 cents this is what you would typically pay for just one can.  I bought 8 cans, so I am set for next year’s chili cook-off :D 

For size comparison a 15 oz can of peas and my 40 oz can of ravioli


I would have bought more but I forgot that Joe V’s only takes cash or debit cards. No credit cards, no checks in order to keep their prices low.  For my safety and because I plain do not like to carry cash this is all I was able to buy.


Saw this homemade trailer on the road bet he saved a lot money doing that

I am happy to report that yesterday morning I was able to find my keys, they were in my car the whole time.  I barely slept Friday night worrying about them.  Yesterday I was watching the six o’clock news and fell asleep.  Woke up at 8:00 p.m. and decided to go to bed until the evening news.  Unfortunately did not wake up till 11:15 p.m. so I just said the heck with it and turned around and went back to sleep until this morning.  Guess I was really tired.

My neighbor is going to call me as soon as she gets back from Christmas shopping so I can go take her my spare set of keys, hope she comes home early.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. Your sleeping schedule sounds like mine the way the weathers been around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe at least we are getting a good rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found the keys, I always feel bad when I have 'hid them from myself', but it always seems like a good idea when I did it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That "homemade" camper you posted? I've seen the same or very similar thing and they were units used by gas research companies with equipment in them . Not seeing it in person can't tell for sure, but sure looks like what I have seen .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suerte - while this time I did not hide them from myself, I am guilty of doing that too.

    One time I "hid them in my boot" just so I could find them when I put them on the next morning. However I put on my tennis the next day and it wasn't till I got to Houston that I found them. Good thing I always carry spares.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben why would gas research companies use homemade campers? With all the money that they got one would think they could afford the real thing.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.