Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Incompetent Institutions

On the agenda today was to go by the P.O. Box, the library, the bank, the county clerk’s office, and the pharmacy.

My life has been a whirlwind since September and I have not had the time to focus on things that really required my attention.  I did find it odd that I had not seen a bank statement in a while.  Decided to go to the bank and inquire.  What I found was a horrific nightmare.

Turns out someone (they told me the name but I have no idea who that person is) signed up for e-mail statements for his account and somehow registered mine.  But wait it gets better, turns out that we both have THE SAME ACCOUNT NUMBER.  How can this be?  How can a bank be so terribly incompetent to issue the same number to two different customers?  Even worst is how did they not know?  Do they not have an audit department?

I might add that I did not just open my account.  I have had my account since August 2007 and the other person since July 2007.  If it weren’t because I stopped getting my statement I would have never found out.  I presume that other person already knows or maybe not since he has not notified the bank. Thankfully I don’t have much money but imagine if the bank had deducted his checks from mine or mine from his.  This is just totally unacceptable!!

Yesterday, when I went to the P.O. Box I found another jury summons for my mother.  This is the third summons in five years even though each time she receives one I have gone and personally hand delivered an exemption request and been assured that she will not get another one in the future.


Val Verde county courthouse



For those readers who are not from Texas or are from another country a person gets a jury summons about every two years or so to appear at the courthouse from a pool of citizens whose names are derived from voter registration records and/or driver’s license data banks.  However if that person is over 70 years of age they can choose to exclude themselves.  Theoretically this should only have to be done once, but this will be the third time mother has to file one.

Back of courthouse where the County Clerk's offices are located
 Last week I called in to refill mother’s medications.  The automated service said they would be ready on Dec 23rd but I did not go to pick them up till yesterday.  Only one was refilled because the other two needed authorization from the doctor so the pharmacy sent the doctor’s office a second fax.

Today I went to pick up her prescriptions and no response from the doctor’s office so will have to make another trip.  Guess today did not turn out like I envisioned but heck at least I am alive and in somewhat good health.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like any paperwork your handle is getting messed up. Hope it starts going your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I check my bank accounts online every day. I want to make sure each transaction is mine...no one has hacked into my accounts, etc. Last year someone somehow got hold of my debit card number and made a $80 purchase from over seas. My bank took care of it right away and cancelled the debit card number so they couldn't use it again. If I hadn't caught it that day, it could have been much worse. The bank reimbursed me for the $80 and turned it over to the fraud department.

    Sounds like you're running around in circles and getting nothing done. I hate days like that. The holidays will do that though. No one wants to work and things get put on hold.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a good thing you check your accounts daily Terry and caught that fraudlent charge.

    I did not sign up for online access because when you do so at my bank then you forfeit getting printed statements. Besides it is much easier for me to call their automated phone line and get my balance.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.