Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Too early for 94 degree weather

Yesterday I paid the price for not having gone to HEB on Thursday.  People everywhere, the parking lot was jammed packed with vehicles pulling trailers, RV's and people obviously on their way to their Spring Break destinations.  Made me wonder how many might be heading out to Terlingua.

Del Rio is the last big town on Highway 90 West (that sounds hilarious) between here and El Paso. It has been a long time since I have seen most of the checkout registers open. Contemplated filling my car up but there were long lines at the pump practically everywhere. Del Rio has grown so much, it is not the same sleepy border town it was when we moved here so many moons ago.

It was a good thing the house was still cool from last night because this afternoon it got to 94 degrees, a bit too early for summer temperatures or for turning on the A/C.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


8 comments:

  1. Del Rio is growing or is just spring break?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Del Rio is definitively growing. That is why I "beach" and moan about needing another grocery store in town. HEB lacks parking space and there are long lines at all hours. Kroger's or Food Town are you listening? Lots of business is to be had not just from Del Rio residents but from Ciudad Acuña and other Mexican entities.

      Rob, Spring Break makes it only worst.

      Delete
    2. I have been coming here in late winter since 2008 and even the desert is becoming much more "crowded." My guess is that DRT has grown about 30% in that time frame.

      Delete
    3. The census of 2010 was a joke if it had not happened to us I would not have believed it. We sent in our form right away only to be told later that they never got it. They did that to a lot of residents leaving us to believe they threw them out so they could come back and get paid overtime.

      The mayor at the time was all up in arms but since I do not buy the local paper I do not know what became of it. When they came back they only counted my mother leaving me out of the Del Rio census.

      Delete
  2. When I moved here in 1976 this was a quiet and small town too. Now it is awful.

    Yes 94 degrees is way to hot already stay cool if you can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately it was a one day phenomena. Today a cold front came through and brought it back down to the more managables 70's.

      Delete
  3. The last census was a complete joke as far as I was concerned. I wonder how 2020 will be.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.