Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, July 12, 2019

Crop of Weeds and Stickers

Now that I know we will not be affected by rains this weekend I bit the bullet and called Pollito this morning to come to mow our crop of weeds and stickers.

Guess who is back?
He said he would come this afternoon at 3:00 p.m. and believe it or not he actually showed up on time.  Of course, true to form he only stayed about 15 minutes just enough to tackle the big weeds. 

Looking South toward Walter's old corral the little horse
that now lives there got scared by the noise from Pollito's tractor.
Said he would be back tomorrow morning to finish using the lawnmower and weed eater as it was too hot to get it done today.  I do not blame him the heat was stifling. We had a high of 99 a low of 74 with a heat index of 110 degrees today.

See all those trees behind the northern fence line?  Those, unfortunately, are in my lot adjacent to my parent's property and will need to be addressed soon.  In case you are wondering...YES...those are horrible Mesquite trees :-(


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. Yo, google mesquite bean flour. I myself think it is pretty funny that it goes for $10 a pound, but on the other hand, there's a lot of labor involved. Just like the fad for grilling with mesquite wood. Well, we can hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several readers have mentioned that to me before. In fact, said that Native Americans called it "the tree of life" and used everything from it, I do not dispute it.

      However, I have been raking mesquite pods since I was old enough to do so and I hated every minute of it. It left me traumatized perhaps not to "rattlesnake level" but pretty close to it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Remember according to you...you also had to rake those darn pods as a kid...so is that a "relief" laugh?

      Delete
  3. My neighbor has a mesquite tree which I have a love hate thing for, the tree that is. They make such a mess and I have lava rock in my yard so cleaning that crap up is not easy. I sure hope Pollito comes back tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly understand your love/hate relationship with your neighbor's tree in particular when you have to clean up after something that is NOT yours or it will quickly become YOUR problem.

      Why can't "nice pretty trees" be as easy to grow as these pesky ones? They grow from a pod in the dirt, you don't have to dig them, water them and they even grow in between rocks :-(

      I sure hope he and his little wino sidekick show up too. Opened up the gate at 7:15 a.m. and it is now 8:55 a.m. and no sign of them yet.

      Delete
  4. That is a lot of weeds there, sure glad we don't have mesquite trees here and the annoying stickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of weeds and stickers George be glad you don't have them. Would gladly welcome one of your snowstorms to kill those two because I don't think there is anything that will kill the pesky mesquites.

      Delete
  5. I had a run-in with a mesquite years ago and I can't say one good thing about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gypsy, I can certainly relate.

      Many people that read this probably do not understand because these pesky trees are mainly located in the desert parts of our nation but to me they are "worthless".

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.