Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Sirens / Yard Work / Cobwebs - UPDATED

Was outside by 7:00 a.m. picking up trash along the outside fence line with Paquito following me around like he was a dog.  Cars were whizzing by as they were headed to work and hard as I tried putting him back in the safety of the yard he kept coming back out.

We had 60 mph winds in June that knocked down a lot of limbs that I had put aside hoping that Pollito would take them away but since he has not been back decided to take them to the curve and let the trash take them.  I was hauling them out when Pollito passed by and waved at me...how did he expect me to wave back with tree limbs on both hands?  That man has no shame!  What I did give him was a dirty look.

Got one of my old 30-pound dog food bags and filled it up with more debris ended filling up two more bags. While I was doing that I could hear sirens heading into the neighborhood but that is nothing unusual.  The vehicle with the sirens turned on the street before ours so I never found out if it was an ambulance, police or a fire truck.


Even more vehicles with sirens blaring headed into the neighborhood.  I happened to look up and saw a black cloud not far away.  A while later as I was dragging more stuff to the curb two ladies who were on their morning walk said to me "whatever you do DO NOT burn your weeds".


They stopped to talk to me and said a lady that had recently moved to a house down the road was doing yard work and decided to burn the weeds...it got out of control and burnt the house down.


We had some old magazines dating back to the '70s that were yellow and dusty and did not make good recycling material that also went to the trash heap.

I finally got sick and tired of all the cobwebs in the garage and the back shed and got rid of them as well.  I drank a bottled iced coffee that cooled me off and energized me. Did laundry and cleaned the kitchen. It was so hot today we had a low of 78 a high of 103 with a heat index of 107 degrees.

It is no wonder that my back and my arms are aching at this hour.  I have not been able to find my aspirins and I do not want to take a ParacetamolI just may turn in early this evening or not.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

12 comments:

  1. My you sure had a busy day, you should rest well tonight. burning the dry weeds in your yard sure can get away from you pretty quick, I found that out years ago, but luckily did not burn down anyones house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did sleep well last night. The neighbor one lot over behind our house has a bad habit of burning weeds even if the wind is blowing and has been doing so for years even during "burn bans".

      I have called the authorities on them as well as other neighbors and even though they have been fined they keep on doing it. They are both in their mid-seventies so have no hope that they have learned their lesson.

      Delete
  2. I noticed on my nightly walk last night that the mesquites lining the path are laden with beans...er...pods. How are yours doing? I think the early rains are making a bumper crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bumper crop here too. The bad part is that it has not rained in a couple of weeks and with the three digit temperatures the pods are dropping fast. I have to get in the right frame of mind to start raking them :-(

      Delete
  3. I've started getting out early for a 20 minute walk every day. I've been reading a book titled "Move Yourself" by the Cooper Aerobic Center. Says you can dramatically improve your health and well-being with 20 minutes of daily walking.
    I have to get started around 6:30 before the sun's rays start filtering through the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is a great way of getting some daily exercise without being too strenuous. The only place that would work for me is going to the mall as the street we live on is heavily transitted and there are a lot of stray animals.

      Keep up the good work.

      Delete
  4. You have a lot more get up and go than I do. It is about all I can do to rock in my rocker/recliner. . . (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think I have more get up and go than you. The difference is that you have a son that keeps up with the mowing and tree removal.

      If I do not do it, it is not going to get done. Even when I hire someone to do it, they often do a lousy job and charge outrageous prices.

      That is the only reason I put up with Pollito because even though he takes his time (weeks to be exact) to complete a job his prices are reasonable.

      Delete
  5. Your energy puts mine to shame! I think i've done well if I walk the dog, check the garden and maybe sweep up all the dog hair off the floors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As in my reply to Dizzy, if I do not do it, it will NOT get done. I have not found my tall weathered cowboy who enjoys yard work...YET...maybe I will run into him at the library, Walmart or HEB?

      In the rare occasion like yesterday that I make up my mind to tackle a chore, I need to stay with it until I complete it or I won't muster up the energy anytime soon and I know it.

      Delete
  6. WOW you did lots of work and I'm happy you slept well last night. I had an acre at one time and sold it in short order, I couldn't keep up with it. Same as you couldn't get any help.
    And lets not get into the Mesquite pods. I was trying to rake them up in the rain the other morning, I would love to make a big pine and throw them into my neighbors yard but dont' think he would even notice. We need to have a talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents did not want to deal with neighbors on either side so they bought the lots to the right and left of their house. That is how they ended up with all this land. It was fine then because my father kept up with it but after he passed away it was difficult for my mother to get decent help and now I am the one struggling with all this yard work.

      Good luck talking to your neighbor.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.