Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, July 8, 2019

Insurance / Recycling / Del Rio Parks

Once again my procrastination got the better of me.  Both my home as well as flood insurance are due next week.  Try as I did, I was not able to pay it online a problem I also encountered last year and never got around to resolving.

There is a chance we might have a tropical event and that it might impact the Greater Houston area so I have to have my flood insurance up to date.  Wrote two checks and made a beeline for the post office.

With that out of the way, I headed to the City of Del Rio Recycling Center. Took all my plastics bottles as well as steel cans.



It was hot it reached 101 with a heat index of 106 degrees.  I was close to San Felipe Lions Park so swung by there to check it out. There were several women there with their children.


There was a young couple on a raft but the water was flowing fast so was not able to photograph them as my phone took a long time to power up. Decided to make a short video of the water flowing instead. Video is not uploading and only have 2 minutes before the blog date changes...may try again tomorrow or not...as I need to post this.

Del Rio's Rotary Park is just down the road and also had people enjoying their facilities. Was surprised there were no ducks around.



Lots of kids swimming...





Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. It's good that Del Rio has the river, where else will the kids play on a hot summer day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not a river Rob it is San Felipe Creek whose water flows from San Felipe Springs the main water source for Del Rio.

      It does eventually follow its path south to the Rio Grande that separates us from Mexico but no one in their right mind would swim in the Rio Grande also known as Rio Bravo in Mexico.

      Delete
  2. They could go to Belinda's house and play with her cats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hummm, the temperatures are in triple digits, if I were a kid would I rather swim in the cool waters of San Felipe Springs or play at MsBelinda's house with her cats?

      I am going to go out on a limb and say the winner is...San Felipe Springs!!!

      Delete
  3. Nice that you have the recycling there, we can set ours at the curb and is picked up once a week, We take Beer, wine, alcohol, bottles and cans to the Beer stores here and get 10 to 20 cents cash back, pretty handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly when the City of Del Rio negotiated a contract with a new refuse collector it also included Val Verde County. They provide us with the equivalent of a medium-size tote without a lid. Unfortunately, we also have many stray animals who have no problem lifting their leg and marking the recycling material. To avoid that many of us prefer to personally take our items to the recycling center.

      The one item they do not accept is glass containers of any type. Would love for them to pay me for those items like they do in Canada. We have a private recycling center that buys aluminum cans and while they do not pay much it is better than nothing.

      Delete
  4. I love your picture of the falls.

    We are supposed to have recycling with our trash pick up. the lady door always puts her recycle things seperate, I was sitting here watching the guys picking up the trash and they just throw in the truck with the rest of the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I like it too. It helps to trick myself into believing it is not as hot as it is.

      There is a special truck that comes around early on trash day and picks up the recycled items. I still prefer to take them down to the recycling center myself.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.