Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

A new type of doctor's appointment / Prescriptions / Back to Salads

I had canceled my doctor's appointment back in May and re-scheduled it for today. After much thought, I decided to cancel it first thing Monday so I would not be charged for not giving 24-hour notice. The scheduling clerk asked why I was canceling and I told her about the jerk with Coronavirus symptoms that I was standing in line behind a couple of weeks ago when I went to drop off some documents for my doctor and how it freaked me out.

She thought I might be interested in a telephone visit instead. I told her I had no idea how to do that on a cellphone. All I knew was how to Skype from my computer and I was not interested in that either. She said no...he will call you at home and you can talk on a regular phone. Loved the idea and decided to give it a try.

His nurse called me 30 minutes before to make sure I would be able to take his call and to confirm my medications. I really enjoyed this kind of doctor's visit from the safety of my house and wearing my pajamas. My telephone appointment lasted for 25 minutes.

I have a confession to make, I told the doctor a little white lie...he asked if I knew how much I weighed...I stated that I did not (OK, no shaming allowed).  Asked if I felt I had lost, gained, or remained the same weight wise...I was honest and said I felt I had gained weight.

I was hoping to get off one medication but instead came away with another prescription. I figured HEB would not fill it until tomorrow but got an e-mail a couple of hours later that this medication was ready. Since I had others that I had not picked up yet headed to HEB's pharmacy.

I can not believe that I have not had a salad in two or is it three weeks? Rectified that and bought spinach, garden salad blend, mini carrots, grape tomatoes, avocados, cantaloupe, and bananas.



Mini carrots and grape tomatoes...




This photo is for JudithK...if it will make you feel any better they are as hard as a rock and it will be a while until I can incorporate them into my salads.


Cantaloupes...


Have gotten a little tired of Nido Powdered milk on my breakfast cereal so bought a gallon of 1% Lowfat Milk. Since everything can not be healthy I also bought a slice of carrot cake!

I was surprised to see a well-stocked selection of both disposable as well as cloth face masks and an ample supply of hand sanitizer. So if you need some...head to your local HEB.

I apologize for the poor quality of the picture
as there were people waiting for me to
move on so they could buy these products.

What also surprised me was that you were allowed to buy up to 10 sanitizers.


We had a low of 77 and a high of 105 degrees. There is no probability of precipitation in the foreseeable future so if your city is getting rain you are very fortunate.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




16 comments:

  1. Phone visits with doctors seems to be a new way of having appointments everywhere. You are not alone in the weight department. It is not just what we eat but the lack of exercise and movement as we are scared to contract the Coronavirus.
    Nice to be able to find shelves totally stocked when you go shopping.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the AC.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen them featured in the news but most involved a face-to-face chat either on their cellphone or on their computer. I had never heard about just a regular telephone conversation.

      It's nice to see hard to find items that have been in low supply these past months available once more.

      Delete
    2. About the sanitizer; make sure it doesn't have any harmful ingredients that the news reports are talking about.

      Delete
    3. Caddie, I did not buy any sanitizer yesterday as I still have the ones I had before the Coronavirus.

      Back in May, I bought a large bottle at Dollar Tree that I never opened and it turned out to be on the list of sanitizers one should avoid.

      Thank you for your concern though.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you were able to connect with your Dr via telephone. Sounds like a perfect solution.
    Those salad ingredients are making me hungry. And it is hard to beat Texas cantaloupe. I was surprised you didn't mention dressing. I like a good bleu cheese or I make thousand island. Any benefits of consuming salad are lost with all the dressing I like, plus Townhouse crackers.
    I use 2% milk. Milk is one of my favorite things in the whole world. Aside from Crimini mushrooms. Lol
    No ice cream? Life is short. I have been craving a root beer float. We have Teddy's Root Beer here and it is the best I have ever tasted. Comes in a really ugly bottle.
    My tomatoes are looking good but still green. I think there will be a lot of the tiny ones. I can barely wait.
    Stay safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad I decided to try this new way of communicating with my doctor that did not involve high tech.

      The cantaloupes are not from Texas they are called Tuscan cantaloupes that are grown in California, Arizona, and Guatemala. They are delicious especially if you eat them cold in the summer.

      I did not mention dressing because I don't use any, just Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

      I took a picture of the ice cream section which was nearly bare but I was having so many problems uploading them to the blog that I did not include them.

      Walmart is the only other store that sells my favorite ice cream and with the recent first anniversary of the Walmart mass shooting in El Paso, Texas on August 3rd I decided I did not need ice cream that bad. It is still difficult for me to walk into that store.

      I am glad your tomatoes are coming along. I admire all those people that have the skill and patience to be able to grow a garden. All I can grow is weeds.

      Stay safe as well my friend.

      Delete
  3. I am still laughing. If you'd told me those avocados were soft and creamy and wonderful...well, I don't know what I would have done. Moved to Del Rio maybe. Hey, it was 100 here too today! So not that big a deal, right? Very glad you had the phone appointment and got it done. I'm not happy with dealing with the tiny phone for things like that, but I do sort of know how it can be done. You've got my email, so let me know if somebody gets demanding about being able to lay eyes on you (maybe drs need to do that; I can kind of see why). We can try to talk/write through how you can get it done. You remind me that I should have gotten more produce in my curbside pickup today. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw that the avocados were on sale I could not help but think of you!

      I am sure your local HEB has the same prices as ours or perhaps even better.

      You mention that I have your e-mail address but I don't. I left you mine but I never received an email from you. Since I started this blog I have gone through three addresses.

      I hope that in four months I can go see him at his medical practice because I agree there is nothing like in-person consultations.

      Delete
  4. If you can Skype, you're way ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skype, I believe is the first and probably the oldest form of face-to-face internet communication. If I can do it anyone can.

      Delete
    2. Just because you can Skype doesn't nean I can. Though maybe I can learn. My local HEB? Ah. So many people I know are longing for a local HEB. There isn't one. We have a Brookshire's instead, and from a conversation some years ago, I believe they have a no compete agreement. Sigh. Triple sigh..

      Delete
    3. I had never heard of Brookshire before. While I love our local HEB, I do wish we had another grocery store as the population of Del Rio and Ciudad Acuña could make it profitable.

      While I was not here when HEB bought out two city blocks to build their larger store...I think my dad told me that they had also signed a no-compete agreement.

      Delete
  5. When I had a Dr. apt. I was hoping for a phone call but they had me go in. Didn't thrill me in the least.

    Salad fixings look good and the prices weren't bad either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Del Rio is a small town of 36,000 residents so I was very surprised when they offered me this option.

      Did you request a phone-in appointment? I believe the only reason I was offered one is because our COVID-19 numbers are on the rise and people started canceling appointments when the deaths began in mid-July as a result of the 4th of July celebrations.

      When I first moved back home I used to think the prices in Del Rio were high since Houston had super affordable prices. Now after years of living here I find them to be competitive.

      Delete
    2. Yes I did but the numbers at that time had dropped. 4 days later they skyrocketed out of control

      Delete
    3. The story of both of our states...grrrrrrrrr!!!

      I just hope people VOTE OUT our worthless governors who opened up the state way to early just to indulge the liar-in-chief at the expense of so many people...they have blood in their hands!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.