Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Losing my eyesight? / Power outage / No bicycles or camping gear

As noted on my prior post I went to Walmart after my lab work on Wednesday, August 12th to purchase vitamins that my doctor thought might be beneficial to me. I do not know if it is because I was nervous since the one year anniversary of the mass shooting at a Walmart in El Paso that I avoid this store that clearly in a small town like Del Rio is a difficult thing to do as it is the largest store we have.

When I got home I was looking over my purchases when I noticed that the gummy vitamins I purchased were for Men not Women. Then I noticed that the sunscreen I bought was for Kids not Adults...I'm I losing my eyesight?

I really did not want to return to the store but knew that Thursday had to be it as I did not want to go on a Friday or much less on the weekend.  I am superstitious by nature and I avoid going out on the 13th of any day but what choice did I have?

Returned the Men's vitamins and headed to find the ones I needed when all of a sudden the store lost power. I immediately looked at my watch...it was 2:45 p.m. fifteen minutes before the official energy conservation hours of 3:00 - 7:00 p.m.

It took about 20 seconds for their auxiliary power to kick in. I continued shopping when they announced over the overhead speakers that the power to their registers would take 10 minutes to restore.

Found what I needed when another announcement was made that their registers would require an additional 16 minutes...why 16 and not 15 minutes?  I have no idea.  Decided to go see if they had any markdowns in the camping aisle and was surprised to see half-stocked shelves.


I have been eyeing a bicycle online but they have been out of stock for a while and the same item at Amazon has tripled in price. Needing to kill time headed that way and this is what I found...


Ok, no camping gear, bicycles, or vitamins that are not Gummy's... let's wander around the paper towel aisle...at least I was re-assured that my Viva paper towels were in stock even though I didn't need any at this time...but reassuring nontheless.


Time to head for the registers, the lines were incredibly long. Associates were going around notifying customers that only credit cards with no cashback were being accepted at this time which was fine with me.

It took exactly one hour from the time of the power outage to the time I drove off their lot. Needed to pick up our mail but was too frustrated to drive back to town to do so. There is a reason why I avoid the 13th...sigh :-(

To add to the pain of it all we have been in triple digits every day in August.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




16 comments:

  1. It seems we are all blind sometimes especially when we try to rush.
    Sometimes our Superstitions come true just because we believe in them.
    We try to avoid shopping the weekends because the stores are generally packed. Loosing power with that high heat is not unexpected as everyone wants to be comfortable running their ACs adding a strain o the system.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will rack it up to nerves for buying the wrong items. Are you saying because I am superstitious I made the power go out at Walmart?

      I am superstitious about the number 13th because I have had bad things happen to me on this date that I played no role in...like having a car slam into me at a stoplight...or being robbed at knifepoint in downtown Houston and that is just a few samples.

      Delete
  2. In my opinion gummies are for kids, or adults who don;t like swallowing pills. I won't ever buy them as I think they are gross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Gypsy but there were no regular vitamins left. I suppose people are buying them to fortify their system to protect themselves from the virus. All they had on the shelves were adult gummies so I had no choice.

      Delete
  3. Death Valley was the hottest place on Earth on Sunday. If verified, it could be the hottest temperature recorded in the world since 1913.

    The hottest, driest and lowest national park in California and Nevada recorded a preliminary high temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit on Sunday, according to the National Weather Service (NWS). The all-time high of 134 degrees, reported over 100 years ago, was also recorded in Death Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw this on several news channels today incredible how high the temperature got even for Death Valley. Perhaps more incredible is that people willingly live there.

      Delete
  4. That heat just sounds terrible. It is very hot here, as well. We are only at 90* here but it feels like much more. There is a big wildfire south of us and the smoke is bad. Makes it feel hotter.
    We have not had the power outages like you but the phone and internet is a recurring problem.
    Interesting they are sold out of bicycles.
    I think more people are buying vitamins since Covid. I take several. Who knows if it actually helps? But I here zinc is especially important now.
    I was sorry to hear your TWC has headed south. Those frozen margaritas sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have so much news coming out of Washington that other news stories take a back seat. I had no idea about the wildfire in your state. Only a mild reference to some in California. I usually hear about them from reading blogs of people living in the area.

      My internet has been giving me problems as well. I do not know if it is because I have been going online during the day where it might be a common occurrence that I usually do not see since I go online late at night.

      Funny you mention Zinc that is one of the vitamins he wants me to take but can't be found in town and I do not want to order them online.

      Thanks to my blog found that the last time I had a frozen margarita was back in 2013 on a trip to Houston...I am overdue for one!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I had to laugh as soon as I read it on your prior comment I knew you were going to correct it :)

      Thank you for your good grammar.

      Delete
  6. Cooled off a little bit here; hope it's made it down you way. Glad you have been twice to Walmart. It will get easier. When the tower shootings happened at UT way back when, I watched it on tv and was 150 miles away. Still, when I went back to school, and had to walk across that open area, I always thought about it. Only thing I know to do about magical thinking and supersititon is apply some math. Yes, lightning does strike twice, but under what conditions. On the other hand, I get in my car, and drive around town, and there have been people killed and maimed for life by a runaway driver. Even here in this little town. Hm. Not sure what my conclusions are, but I"m certainly making a speech!! Ha. Still, I'm glad you went, and even on the 13th. And I didn't have a clue about bicycles being an item of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had only paid attention that second trip would not have been necessary so I only have myself to blame.

      Like I mention on my comment to Rick I have had so many bad things happen to me on the 13th through no fault of my own that I have come to loath that date.

      I have no clue as to the reason behind the scarcity of bicycles either.

      Lol on your speech...thank you it brought a smile to my face :D

      Delete
  7. I grab the wrong items so often it isn't even funny. I see the right one but for some reason I grab the wrong one. So what's up with no camping gear or bikes now. Maybe you should have grabbed that extra Viva. As for the vitamin people think they can kill the virus my taking loads of vitamins fools. the heat here is still tapping out at 111 F. But I have to bite the bullet and hit the Super Walmart to get the fishing pole and A/C filters..
    Try to stay cool and well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you that makes me feel better that I am not the only one grabbing the wrong items.

      I do not have a clue as to why our Walmart would be out of camping gear as the Amistad National Recreational Area is closed during the weekends after all the get-togethers that took place there on July 4th that spiral our COVID cases but more importantly the deaths.

      With this heat, I do not know anyone that would want to go tent camping or riding a bike.

      I think a lot of people want to build up their immune system in case they get it it won't be so bad. I lose more hair than the average person but since February I have been losing more than my fair share and my new doctor wants me to take vitamins...I think it is just stress.

      You stay cool as well JO.

      Delete
  8. I have been taking Biotin for years since I noticed more hair than usual on my brush. It works beautifully, and you can buy a cheap brand on the supermarket shelves, usually1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biotin is one of the vitamins he wants me to take but again I found nothing but gummies but bought it anyway.

      My labs also included testing my thyroid since my Mom has a history of that. I suppose I came out alright or his nurse would have called by now.

      After my experience at Walmart, I decided to come home instead of going to go pick up our mail at the post office where I was going to be sent the results of my tests.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.