Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Home Depot / Vitamins / Silly old man

Home Depot sales ad starts on Thursday I have been wanting to purchase some heavy-duty storage containers that can hold up to the Texas heat and won't crack due to the weight when I stack them.

Got up early on Monday when I felt there would be fewer people and there was. For the moment only purchase two an HDX Tough Tote 17 gals and a Tough Box Construction Grade Storage Container 27 gals. Both containers are made in the USA.


Back in February or March, I wanted to buy a Titanium Advil Ratchet Lopper with a 2" cutting capacity so I could prune back those hideous mesquite trees but hesitated because of the cost. Then Covid-19 came along when the weather would have been favorable for that activity but I did not want to leave the house to go purchase it. Like it or not I forked out $54.98...anything to not have to hire Pollito's wino sidekick.


I have had my eye on these heavy-duty steel shelves but they are so big and heavy there is no way I can transport it in my car. Went to inquire how much it would cost to have it delivered and was floored when the clerk told me it costs $79.00 and they only deliver it to your driveway.


Home Depot is across the street from Walmart so took the opportunity to fill up my gas tank. The going price Monday was $1.799 for unleaded gasoline.


Since there were few cars at Walmart decided to go in and see if their vitamin aisle had been re-stocked.  Once again they were low on several vitamins but at least they had the Zinc I had been looking for though not many left.


As I was going into the store I once again ran into this silly old man that I have also seen several times at HEB wearing a pair of pink women's underwear on his head as a mask.  He may think it is funny but I don't...it does not provide any coverage if he were to sneeze.


It took me a while to be able to find my phone to take his picture so I zoomed in as much as I could as he was far away when I took it.

The containers smelled so much to rubber I had to lower the windows to let in some fresh air.  Ordinarily, I would just take them out of the car until I had time to clean them but I decided to clean them with soap and water and let them air dry.

That is when I noticed that the HDX had an issue...I could see light on three corners...not a good thing. Checked out the other one which is much better made and it did not have that problem.  If you happened to purchase the same item this week you might want to check yours out.

Went back to return it and purchased two additional of the Tough Box brand. By then it was so hot and the skies were cloudy.  As soon as I drove into the garage we got an unexpected 3-minute shower.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




14 comments:

  1. What kind of idiot thinks underwear makes a good mask. I guess he thinks he is being hilarious but he's just being a fool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He obviously just wants to make a statement that he does not want to wear a mask but if he is forced to, it will be women underwear.

      He thinks he is being funny but the time before this I saw him at HEB and some young people in front of me in line were not amused and looked at him with disdain much like us older customers.

      Delete
  2. You could buy all those items online, and never worry about Chi-Vi or pink undies. Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This gentleman was at Walmart, not Home Depot. Zinc supplements have been hard to find in the only four stores in town that carry it.

      If I order it online I still have to go pick it up either at the store or the post office. Need to note that I have been having problems with my mail since December 2019 when they started losing my mail including my payment to them.

      I would never order those heavy-duty containers online even if I could they are big and heavy already without the added weight of the packaging.

      Delete
  3. I know they are not as HD but we use the Clear Bins as a way of seeing what they contain without having to open them.
    That Shelf looked Commercial Grade which would support the weight of your car. You can probably find something lighter and cheaper.
    Wish we could see gas prices that low.
    A little rain is better than none.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use clear bins as well for things I frequently need to access but you can not put more than one bin on top of one another unless they are lightweight.

      I have bought cheaper shelves in the past only to have them crack under the weight of the bins and the Texas heat.

      A little unexpected afternoon shower was a delight.

      Delete
  4. Those bins look good or at least the one that was good. The loppers should serve you well for a long time. Good to see you found some of the zinc vitamins you have been looking for. Gas is on the rise again and so I topped mine off at $2.02 on Monday and the next day it was $2.09.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red ones only cost a dollar more than the defective yellow ones and are of higher quality and much larger. I will certainly be able to stack them four or five containers high and not worry about the tops cracking from the weight.

      I know the loppers will last me for a long time and eventually end up paying for themselves. Just hoping the temperatures go below the daily three-digits so I can go outside and actually use them.

      Lucked out on the Zinc vitamins they are out of them everywhere. Last time I was in town the gasoline prices were much higher glad they went down. It is a good thing you were able to top your tank off as well before your price hike.

      Delete
  5. Those storage containers look very sturdy.
    I am glad you were able to find zinc. It is hard to find here, as well. Your gas prices look good. We are at about $2.25 here.
    I listened to a few rnc speeches the first two nights. Had an odd craving for bologna sandwiches. Jajaja Don Jr was buzzing his brains out, his girlfriend was scary and way too loud. Idk who Melania was talking about and Eric was just bizarre. The whole thing is bizarre.
    My friends in Louisiana have been hit hard by this storm. There are so many homeless with no jobs. And you know tRump will do no more than toss paper towels.
    We got a dab of rain here and it is cooler. I hope we get some Fall instead of going straight to winter.
    Take care, my friend.
    P.S. I am surprised you didn't bite at the joke about auto correct. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my new containers they will serve to store things I do not need that are taking valuable space until I can take them to either San Antonio or Houston to donate. It is a shame we do not have any donation centers in Del Rio expect a church but they only take clothes.

      I agree the RNC was very bizarre and they obviously are living in a different America than the rest of the nation.

      I remembered your radio show transmits from Louisiana sorry to hear your friends are going through a difficult time.

      Glad you finally got some rain and that it is cooler. Unfortunately, it wont be until October when temperatures will go down to the mid 80's.

      My blog is set to Pacific Time to give me an additional two hours after midnight to post on the day I am blogging about. So it was Tuesday, August 25th at 1:53 a.m. after enduring the first night of the RNC.

      Then I got carried away with my fibromyositis and Statins and forgot about the joke...sorry!

      Delete
  6. It was very funny and very strange to see your two storage containers because I had just bought one red and one yellow so it seemed as if I was looking at my purchase.
    I think you are always looking for tarps. Just in case you don't receive the Harbor Freight email or you didn't see it, they have this on their liquidation sale: 7' 4" x 9' 6" Blue all purpose weather resistant tarp on sale. Regular $4.99 now $2.99
    You probably need this coupon on your phone or need to print it:
    Coupon 91671409. Use In-Store or Online.
    You should be able to find the coupon on their website.
    Limit 4 Expires 09/30/20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is coincidential that we would both buy the same two items. They are a good buy and very sturdy.

      Indeed last year I was looking for my tarps right and left as I had not been to the CASI cook-off in two years and with my CRS could not remember where mine were.

      With the cancelation of this year's event I won't be needing any but at $2.99 it is reasonable and I can save it for a rainy day. The code I found was Code 91702903 that Expires 9/30/2020.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  7. Oh, and, just in case you are interested, Harbor Freight currently has this tarp on sale:

    5' 6" x 7' 6"
    Regular $2.99 now $0.97
    Expires 09/30/20

    I found it in their September Coupon Book page:

    https://go.harborfreight.com/cpi/digital/post/2020/08/september-coupon-book-your-monthly-catalog/

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.