Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Surge of Covid-19 cases / Ban on Fireworks / Snow Flurries?

This morning I decided to bite the bullet and began to rake and bag the leaves both in the front as well as the back yard...a task I could no longer put off. I filled three 55 gallon contractor bags since they hold up better as I also had a lot of twigs and small branches that poke holes on cheaper bags. I could have filled more but even though I was wearing my back brace my back began to hurt.

Per El Zócalo (Ciudad Acuña's newspaper) we have had a surge of Covid-19 cases. On Wednesday, December 23rd - 83 cases were reported in one day. This Saturday, December 26th - 150 new cases were reported bringing the total active cases for Del Rio and Val Verde County to 711.  That is a lot of cases for a small town.http://www.zocalo.com.mx/new_site/articulo/ascienden-a-711-casos-activos-de-coronavirus

This is all blamed on Thanksgiving get-togethers. In my street, everyone had family and friends over for Thanksgiving as well as Christmas...so more cases are likely. Is it any wonder I do not even want to go pick up the mail at the Post Office?

We have not had rain in a long time and the county is experiencing a severe drought, therefore, it comes as good news that finally, Val Verde County has banned fireworks for New Years'. Though I am not holding my breath as I know the rowdy/drunk will pop them anyway. http://www.zocalo.com.mx/new_site/articulo/mantienen-prohibido-uso-de-pirotecnia-en-festejos

KSAT-12 in San Antonio is forecasting snow flurries and a cold front on Thursday night. Should I believe them?

We had a sunny but windy day with a high of 78 degrees.  If you get a chance go outside and gaze at the beautiful full moon this evening.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




Header Picture



10 comments:

  1. Auntie Acid is my hero and yes waiting up on New Years Eve sound like a good idea just in case it needs help going to hell.

    We reached a high of 55 tody and tomorrow about the same. Of course we had a forcast of 50% rain for today but...

    Cases are high here to and my granddaughter has it but not very bad and she said she already feels better after only a week Thank You God. Sure glad we canceled the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunty Acid is my hero as well, wish I could say some of the things she does to nasty and toxic people in my orbit.

      I usually stay up on New Year's Eve not to welcome the New Year but to stand guard with the water hose should I need to put a fire out. Hopefully, with the first-ever ban on fireworks in the county (at least that I know of) it won't be so bad this year.

      You have been having some cooler temperatures. You know weather forecasters...they reserve the right to be wrong! We really need rain.

      I am sorry to hear that your granddaughter tested positive but glad that her symptoms are not bad. She has the gift of youth on her side.

      Delete
    2. Thank You she is fine now but not leaving her house for all the money in the world. She got very lucky. So glad we canceled out on the holidays

      Delete
    3. I am glad she is doing well. I wish more people would follow your lead and stay home for the holidays.

      Delete
  2. Numbers are skyrocketing everywhere but just keep yourself Safe by Social Distancing and wearing a Mask. That's what we are doing.
    If your Neighbour sets off Fireworks you can always send pictures to the police.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear two masks as well as my face shield plus disposable gloves on top of social distancing but with so many cases I feel vulnerable and do not want to go anywhere unless I truly need to.

      I do not own a camera Rick just my cheap cellphone that takes very poor pictures in low light situations and I would have to use the flash that the neighbors would easily notice.

      Life has taught me to chose my battles and this one is not worth fighting. We are two women who live alone and this man apart from being an unemployed drunk that lives off his mother and step-father also has some deep psychological issues...not said by me but by his grandmother who raised him.

      Delete
  3. That is a lot of raking. I hope you didn't do additional damage to your back.
    I saw a fireworks stand open when I was out today. I am hoping we won't hear any this weekend. If I was Queen of the World, fireworks would be illegal.
    I looked at a weather map of your area and it does not look good. I hope you are spared the worst of it and don't have power outages. Stay warm.
    Your neighbor is just a nightmare. Surely he will go away after the holidays? I hope he does.
    As always, Aunty Acid is hilarious. I wonder who is behind her cartoons. I think we could be friends.
    It is cold here but no snow yet. I had some errands to run and was near frozen by the time I got home.
    Can you believe Moscow Mitch? I am just outraged these idiots continue. They all need to be rotting in Guantanamo.
    I know you can't have a cocktail so I will have an extra in your honor. Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had previously done some raking but had never gotten around to bagging it thinking I had more time but the irresponsible neighbors, and I am not just talking about the rowdy drunk, started their firework popping before Thanksgiving. If I was Queen of the World those fireworks would be banned as well.

      I do dread the power going out like it did on Christmas Eve but then I noticed that it put an end to the firework show and the activity did not resume even after the lights came back on.

      The rowdy drunk is not going to go anywhere and it appears that he made up with his wife. I still do not understand why the in-laws are still here.

      I wish Karma would pay a visit to Moscow Mitch as well as other members of both houses. Since he and his wife are millionaires he could care less about the tough times less fortunate Americans are going through. Now that he has been re-elected for another six years he no longer cares what the one-term sore loser tweets about him.

      Yes, please have a cocktail on my behalf. You stay safe and warm as well Ms. Penny.

      Delete
  4. I hope you get some of that snow/wet stuff tomorrow evening and don't have to worry about fireworks. They say it will snow here. Fine with me. Meanwhile, yes, your covid numbers are about like ours....bad. I hope we are all reaching the peak of this round. A bit more and the hospitals will surely be overwhelmed. Close to that here. Very, very close.
    Meanwhile, yes, stay away from others as much as possible. Sad. But necessary. Glad to hear from you, so keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has rained all night and it is COLD...while I do not think it will snow in the southern part of the county it might snow in the northern section this evening. For sure Alpine and the Big Bend area will get blanketed.

      I just dread the Covid numbers we will see in two weeks. Why can't people just wear a mask and social distance? Is it so hard to stay home for the holidays?

      Enjoy the snow.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.