Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

January 2020 trip to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila - México

I needed to make a trip to Ciudad Acuña but if you have been reading me for a while you know that the lines at the International bridges all over the United States/Mexico border grow significantly from November until January 6th.

Today was January 7th so I did not want to put it off any longer.  I believe I have mentioned that my uncle sends me letters and packages to a friend we have in common in Ciudad Acuña so he won't have to pay "international" charges :)

Went to deliver a present from both of us and had a nice visit.  Mexico implemented a new measure that took effect at the beginning of 2020...they have banned the use of all plastic bags...so if you are planning on a shopping trip to Mexico you better bring your own.

There is a channel on Mexican television that allows you to see a live feed of the International Bridge of the traffic going to the US.  When I crossed this afternoon the line was long and when my friend turned on that channel it was even longer so decided to return via the Amistad Dam Port of Entry.

I was not planning on stopping at a store but remembered I needed Nutrisse hair color and some Decaffeinated coffee.  I stopped at Bodegas Aurrera but they had no carts or I would have bought other items.

For some reason, stores seem to hide some of their merchandise at the beginning of the calendar year so they can raise the prices later on. I was not able to find my hot sauce or Nescafe Decaf had to buy a lesser-known brand.

Since I was crossing at the Amistad Dam Port of Entry went looking for my Kahlua and I will be darn if once again they did not have it!  I guess the Kahlua Gods do not want me to have any :-(

There is a shop within Bodegas Aurrera that fixes cellphones so took mine there and the young lady fixed it in no time flat. She did not want to charge me but I insisted so she said $10.00 pesos so I gave her $20.00 that is the equivalent of a little over a dollar.  I do not recall what the Exchange Rate was today since the phone was not working when I passed Exchange Rate Alley and you know how bad my memory is!

With a working phone and their free internet, I checked the Border Wait Times app.  The wait was 60 minutes...from prior experience that means closer to 90 minutes.  From Bodegas Aurrera it is 15 to 18 minutes to downtown and just about the same to Amistad Dam.

This time I stopped at the Mexican Customs side and took a couple of pictures so you could get a different view from high up top.

Their electric plant




Mexican Customs


Looking to the Mexican side of the lake.


This is looking towards the United States part of the lake.



In the background, you can barely make out our port of entry. You can click on the photo to enlarge it.


This road leads back to Ciudad Acuña. If you are new to my blog there are no tolls charged if you use this Port of Entry.


I had a fourteen-minute wait to cross back to the USA because only one line was open. The Customs officer manning this line was polite and quite attractive :)



It was a beautiful sunny day with a low of 43 and a high of 69 degrees.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

18 comments:

  1. That is quite an attractive port of entry.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the cooler temperatures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not thought about it but you are right Rick it is attractive.

      Delete
  2. I sure wish I lived close enough to the border to cross it now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one plus of living in Del Rio their proximity to Mexico which is a big help to the budget.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Lol, Andy you not only made me laugh but Gypsy as well!

      No wall here that is why there are Border Patrol agents and other law enforcement agencies.

      Delete
  4. Love the photos. It's been a long time since I have been to your area but I remember how beautiful it is there.
    Too bad about your Kahlua. I haven't bought any Bailey's since Christmas. I like it too much, but the calories!
    What is your favorite hot sauce? I am never w/o Tabasco.
    I listened to the trump speech and was surprised. Someone else wrote it and he seemed slightly subdued. I think someone spanked his Twitter hand. JaJaJa You can see I am desperately trying to find humour in this horror show.
    Weather has been mild here. Still too much ice everywhere but it is slowly melting. At least the sun has been out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not believe this is the THIRD time that I am not able to find Kahlua in particular since Bodegas Aurrera is owned by Walmart. I also missed out on not having to pay the $3.75 liquor tax since they do not have someone to collect it at this Point of Entry.

      Tabasco is my favorite hot sauce as well but I like buying Costeña Salsa Casera and other variations of habanero sauce. There wasn't a single one to be had because in Mexico they tend not to put out a lot of inventory at the beginning of the year so they can raise the price in late January or early February.

      I watched that speech too and wondered if he had been given a sedative. The only person he appears to "sometimes" listen to is his daughter maybe she made him see the enormity of the situation.

      Glad your weather is improving. This weekend I was watching a Hallmark movie when for the first time in my life I saw what a snow shoe looked like :D

      Delete
  5. Nice pictures. Where's the wall hahahaha Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy, does have a good sense of humor at times :)

      Delete
    2. Whaddya mean "at times"?

      I have NEVER been negative unless kidding YOU about YOUR SPURS when they are sucking air. And I have shown remarkable restraint this season!

      hee hee

      Go SPURS Go

      Delete
    3. On another note...how did you fare last night with the severe storms in your area?

      Delete
    4. Came in like a lion at 7:45 with heavy wind and rain going sideways. I had water in the house in places that never breached before. Overall rec'd 1". That was good plus washed the mountain cedar out of the air.

      Delete
    5. I'm sorry you got water in the house, I know too well how that is but at least you got rain. We have not had any considerable precipitation in a long time. This area is in a severe drought.

      I heard some areas of SA had 60 to 70 mph winds so it's no wonder the rain was going sideways. What I did was fill-up my rain catchment barrels with regular water to keep them from blowing away and bungee corded the tops.

      Delete
  6. Just ran across your blog for the first time. We were at the Terlingua Chili Cookoff for the first time last year (2019). Found out there are two, the "original" and CASI. Which one do you go to? We went to the "original" and enjoyed dancing to The Tejas Brothers. Is CASI also $40 for the wrist band?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flyingdj! Yes, there are two Chili Cook-Off's and I attend the CASI one. It does indeed cost $40.00 for a wristband.

      If you go to the Blog Archive to the right of my blog you can select 2019 and choose October and November where I blogged about this past year's visit.

      Thank you for commenting and I hope you visit again.

      Delete
    2. I just now got a chance to check out The Tejas Brothers on YouTube. What a great blend of Tejano and Country!

      Thank you for turning me on to them. The Original Chili Cook-Off consistently has better bands than CASI and many attend on Friday and Saturday night for the performances.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.