Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, February 17, 2020

A beautiful sunny 89 degree Winter Day

It was foggy this morning and on the cool side. It was not heavy jacket weather but cool enough for me to wear a blazer.

I went to check out winter clearance items at Marshall's but they have not been marked down enough to my satisfaction...will perhaps pay them another visit next week.

Why is the expiration date on Harbor Freight coupons printed so small? Or perhaps it is just my eyes?  Had cut out two 20 percent off coupons only to learn they expired earlier this month. I had to go back to the car to get my cellphone only not to be able to access my e-mail account. Oh well, I really did not need that tarp.

I wanted to go to Dollar Tree but there was a homeless man asking for money almost by their door.  I have noticed we have had an increase of homeless people and panhandlers in the city.  Wonder if they are coming from California?  Read they have a serious problem in the Los Angeles area.

Did a quick grocery run to Walmart instead. I was surprised that even though it was a national holiday there were not many people there. I supposed they spent their money on their sweeties on Valentine's Day.


The trees are blooming all over town. These were by Jack in the Box.


There are many lush trees down the main drag but I could not safely pull over to take a picture.

We had a low of 63 and a high of 89 degrees today. However, Old Man Winter is going to make an appearance late Tuesday night and bring with it much needed rain.

Good night. May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day


10 comments:

  1. If the homeless are not from around those parts they'll probably be moving on once it get hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they are not from this area we take care of our own.

      People in Del Rio are very generous they give them money and I have on several occasions seen individuals who shop at Stripes (the one I go to doubles as a Greyhound bus station) ask them if they want a taco or a cup of coffee.

      I will give them a dollar or two if they are older, veterans and/or have a pet with them. An animal should not have to suffer for the life choices of their owners.

      Delete
  2. Just do a screenshot of the Harbor Freight online ad (sign up for email updates). They will accept your cellphone picture of a current discount ad. Works for me everytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know how to do a screenshot from a cellphone. I am signed up for e-mail ads and coupons that is why I wanted to access them to no avail.

      A very helpful young lady when the store opened and I was returning from my first 2019 trip to Terlingua let me use her discount coupon.

      I guess I am just old fashion I prefer paper coupons.

      Delete
  3. Homeless people are showing up all over including here in Canada. Most of them just give up on careers and society in general.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the warmer weather.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised there would be homeless people in Canada. With your brutal winters, it would be a death sentence!

      I do believe the Opioid crisis has also had a lot to do with it in particular with the younger people that I am starting to see more often on the streets.

      Delete
  4. I think the politics in the U.S. have caused much grief for a lot of folks. Also, I think the homeless tend to end up in places that a warmer than the rest of the country. Sacramento has its share, and I don't begrudge them the space they take up, and especially the ones who are veterans. A month or so ago I read a report on how many college students were sleeping in their cars, and showering at the YMCA. I believe community college is relatively low cost or free here, but it breaks my heart to think of kids who are trying to get some education and hope to make a life for themselves, but who have to sleep in their cars. I also believe there is a group on the campus that provides lunches for needy students. I try to keepo in mind the saying, "There but for the grace of God, go I."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the big cities, the homeless I see are mostly veterans who have courageously served our nation and then ended up forgotten by their government. So many struggle with alcoholism, drug addiction, PTSD, homelessness, and so many other problems.

      I have read that the students that live in their cars do so because there is no affordable housing and they have to make a choice of either paying their tuition and food versus rent even while holding down a job.

      Delete
  5. We had 80 degrees today and I was so excited thought maybe tomorrow I would head out, then the weather came on and said rain heading this way on Thurs so no go.
    We have so many homeless here also especialy in the winter but they don't seem to be moving on when the heat hits. I don't know how they can stand the heat here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, you have such bad luck planning your camping trips!

      I saw a special a while back of the homeless problem in Las Vegas. They addressed how they were breaking into vacant homes to live in.

      They did a thorough report of the area and went into the underground tunnels where many homeless lived to beat the heat. They chronicled when unexpected heavy rains swept their encampment and one man's wife drowned due to this.

      They also interviewed people living out in the desert but close to Las Vegas who made it their home year-round. They finally after months of trying able to talk a woman into accepting housing. At least the local authorities and charity organizations were trying to help.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.