Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Insomnia / Rain / Snake

Howdy folks! Here it is 6:30 a.m. and I still can not go to sleep.  It is HELL to suffer from insomnia...if you are lucky enough to be able to go right to slumberland after you hit the sack...you have no idea how lucky you are!

I want to clarify that by the above comment I am NOT soliciting any advice on how to rectify this situation. We are all different and I have suffered from this malady for 30 plus years and NOTHING has worked for me and I have tried EVERYTHING.  As I have mentioned in the last nine years that I have had my Cyber Journal this is only to document things that are important to me and lack of sleep is one of them.

Thursday night we had even more rain and as soon as we had first light on Friday I had to go outside and sweep all the rainwater that ponded...not a fun thing to have to do!

The rains have made all the weeds explode...it is disheartening to see how much work this is going to take. I am having a hard time loading pictures due to the fact Blogger has eliminated the "Legacy Version" and I now have no choice but to use their new format which I do not find to be user friendly.

I have not had a chance after struggling with this blog to go and make a post on Walter's World but I will try to keep up with that as well...just do not know when.

Today (actually it was Saturday but I had not gone to sleep yet) I had another bad experience...a SNAKE!  If you have been reading me for a while or you personally know me...you know how much I DISLIKE them!

I would try to find out what type it was but I am not that brave to confirm it...you can click on the picture to enlarge it if you wish.


Katie's kittens first trapped it but by the time I came out with the camera...Katie decided to battle with the snake. I am not this close, I had to zoom in and crop the picture...and hope that this snake did not harm my little girl :-(

I suppose I am going to have to let the weeds grow as I am in NO mood to run into this wayward snake!

Good night,  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



10 comments:

  1. Know what you mean about the insomnia but still think if you routinely used the Melatonin you could change your sleep habits.
    Enlarging the picture that resembled the Snake we had slither across our mat in Arizona. They kill Rattle Snakes and Rodents but avoid humans. If it is now deceased have a local expert verify it for you.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick - Melatonin has never worked for me in fact it has given me adverse side effects so I avoid it.

      I do not think the snake is now deceased as it was not where Katie and it were battling it out. Though I have to admit I did not try very hard to find it.

      Delete
  2. I don't know if I could kill a snake or not - I guess it depends on if it makes a rattling noise! Snakes have a place in the natural world and we need them whether we know it or not. That said, I don't want to see one in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gypsy, I do not know if I could kill one either not because I would not like to but looking at one no matter what size it may be, leaves me in a state of shock, confusion, fear, and drains all my energy. I suppose you could say I have a snake phobia.

      Delete
  3. I suspect Katie is pretty smart about snakes. Most outside cats are. or at least mine were. This one looks kind of OK to me, but I'm not from your part of the world. Sure doesn't look like a rattler. But what an unwanted addition to your day fresh from NO SLEEP. Hope you can catch up next time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree most outside cats and Katie having been a stray for most of her life have made her snake wise and I am very happy for it.

      I had to download the picture to my computer and expand it to get a better look at it. It was a relief that it did not have the usual rattlesnake markings or it might have been deadly for her.

      The snake sighting was Saturday afternoon and it could have been the reason I was not able to go to sleep until after 7:00 a.m. this morning.

      Delete
  4. Your slither yard thing could either be a king snake or gopher snake, maybe even a garder. Niether are harmful and are good to have around. BUT like you I would rather not have to come across one, a worm is good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry you are battling your insomnia again. I had some issues with it after my accident, but I am lucky it isn't chronic.
    I'm not fond of snakes but don't have a phobia. I have killed plenty of them but now I would think twice. I have never seen any rattlesnakes on this property but there are plenty of them in the area.
    I am a really terrified of wolves. There are some here that are huge. Everyone says the won't attack, but it doesn't assuage my fear. I've been nervous since the coyote incident. Lol
    We had actual rain on Saturday. It felt glorious and cleared the smoke from the air a little so we can breathe. At one point, it hailed hard and the roofs and ground looked like we had had snow.
    Stay safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you live out in the boonies of west texas you are going to encounter a snake or two and we have had all types slither by here.

      When my dad was alive he would kill them with a machete or hoe and one time he just smashed their head with a rock...I am not so brave...that would involve getting close to it.

      I once considered shooting a rattler but by the time I went to get my gun, it was gone. I have a terrible snake phobia. I came up close to one in Terlingua but at least there I had the guys camp come to my rescue and they took care of the problem.

      I do not know what I would do if I came face to face with a wolf, coyote, or bear that are common in your part of the world.

      Glad you finally got rain to help clear away the smoke and hopefully put out some fires. Though I am sure you could have done without the hail. Stay safe amiga!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.