Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

The Cassinelli Gin House

The Cassinelli Gin House is located in the corner of Pecan and Academy Street. When I was young this house was unoccupied and in bad shape. Located in historic South Del Rio it is one block from San Felipe Creek and Del Rio Rotary Park that was not in existence when I was growing up.


I have been wanting to feature it on the blog for a long time but it is difficult to find a parking space and a little dangerous if you try to walk to the corner to photograph the Texas marker.


I was not living here when it was remodeled and housed an insurance company.  I remember going in once and dropping off my parent's check payment but as hard as I try I do not recall what it looked like inside.


The current owners have done a formidable job keeping up with the grounds and seem to be avid Volkswagon fans as they have several in their property. They own a VW Westfalia Camper Van in pristine condition that looks like someone is living out of. It even had its second-floor camper out unfortunately, I was not able to take a picture of it.  It has a Kennedy/Johnson campaign sticker.  I have featured that van on a prior post when it was parked at HEB a couple of years ago.


Drove down the street to Del Rio Rotary Park and took a picture of its vast backyard and though you can not see it from the lens of my cheap phone it has a vegetable garden, a chicken coop and though I can not be sure I believe a compost pile that is not visible from this picture.


The ducks sure seemed to be enjoying themselves now that the park is closed and they do not have to compete with the locals to swim in its cool waters on this hot day.


A little sad to see the park closed but we know it is for the well being of our citizenry. These pictures were taken on Monday, August 31st.


This morning it was very cloudy and I was hopeful that we might be the beneficiary of another 3-minute shower but it was not to be. The sun came out around 2:00 p.m. and the heat once again took over.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day





14 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting place to see but if it is now a private home it's doubtful there are tours.
    The VW looks in good shape.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the historic homes in Del Rio are privately owned including our most famous...The Brinkley Mansion.

      The VW in the photo is in good shape but the one I wanted to photograph the VW Westfalia Camper is in even better shape. I have updated the blog to include it.

      Delete
  2. That's a nice looking VW! I had several of the original split window buses and moved up to a '71 because I wanted a roll down drivers window I could hang my arm out... I'm driving a '90 bus (Vanagon) these days.

    The story on that plaque is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall how much you like VW vehicles. Did you change your car again? You have had more cars than anyone I know since I started my blog while I still drive the same one :)

      Drove by there today and was finally able to photograph the Westfalia Camper...check it out!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for going out in the heat and taking these photos...a good piece of history in your post as well. Glad the area is being kept up and not sold off for bidness. (Remember Molly Ivins?) Stay cool...they say we will cool off next week, and we've had some good rain, so now just humid to go with the heat. Let's hope you can get both cooler and rainier in the days to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Texan does not remember or if born later has not heard of Molly Ivins...she was a Texas icon! I loved how she told it like it is in her own unique way and made no apologies for it.

      Late this afternoon we had heavy winds and thunder. I thought we had missed out on the showers that were falling on other parts of the county but we were able to enjoy some for a couple of minutes.

      Delete
  4. What an interesting building. I looked up the history of it on the internet.
    That is a cool VW. I had one for a couple of years back in the 70's. The clutch cable was a constant problem. I remember buying them three at a time. I took it all over Dallas trying to find a permanent fix for it to no avail. Even so, it was a great ride and home away from home.
    I tried a new product yesterday and thought of you. It is by Frontera, called green chili enchilada sauce. It is fabulous so pick up a pouch of it when you shop. You won't be sorry. I plan to buy several more tomorrow so I am never without it again! I used some leftover chicken and cheese and onions. Few shakes of Tabasco. I know you don't eat cheese, but this stuff is so good you could eat it plain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot you use your phone to connect to the internet. For those that use computers they can see an enlarged version of the Texas plaque that I use as a header.

      I used to follow several vandweller blogs of people who owned Westfalia camper vans and they always made mention of the clutch cable problem. Too bad all of the ones I followed either quit living in their van or sold it off.

      Looked up the Frontera green chili enchilada sauce and it sounds delicious but you forgot the most important thing...I do not know how to cook!

      Delete
    2. I remembered you don't cook so that is why I wanted to tell you about this. Corn tortilla, shredded chicken (canned would do). Put the sauce in a bowl and microwave it. Dip the chicken wrapped tortilla in the sauce and voila'! Oh, and add a few shakes of Tabasco to the sauce. You can do this!

      Delete
    3. I laughed so hard reading your comment. I suppose I had never thought of enjoying an enchilada by using a method that even I could follow :)

      I am used to seeing my friends going to great lengths to make theirs including grinding the New Mexico Hatch chiles to make the sauce, cooking the chicken, shredding it, etc. etc. I am already tired just from writing about it!

      Two of my friends are from the El Paso area and their enchiladas are different from the way most people think an enchilada should be made. They stack theirs up like if they were pancakes and put a sunnyside egg on top...I was speechless...but grateful for the food so I ate it.

      Delete
  5. MsB, if you want a closer look at that VW Westfalia Camper Van you have been discussing, try this:

    1. Go to Google Maps

    2. Input this address: 201 E Academy St, Del Rio, TX

    3. Zoom in (by selecting the “+” sign a few times).

    4. Drag the street view character (Pegman) a little to the right of the intersection of Academy and Pecan but put it on Academy.

    5. You should see a June 2019 photo of it. You can move to both sides of it and also zoom in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never had much success using Google Maps in the past and though I still struggled today I can see the dark green Westfalia camper van being prepped for an outing. Thanks, Flyingdj!

      Delete
  6. Love the pictures of the water and that old building must be grand inside. The grounds are beautiful,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To think that when I was growing up this was an eyesore and about ready to cave in. I am glad they rescued it and brought it back to its old glory and preserved its history.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.