Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Jenni Rivera 1969-2012

Yesterday I finally bit the bullet and set-up my Kodiak Canvas tent in the backyard in order to clean it out after my trip to Terlingua.  It took me 40 minutes to pound in the stakes but I used the heavy duty ones that came with the tent...in the desert I only use four of the heavy duty ones in the corners. Then I cheat and use the regular metal ones and even doing that it takes me between two to three hours to pound them in, in the heavy rock area where I camp.

I got it set up too late to be able to clean it out last night, so this afternoon as I was sweeping the tent I noticed little black specks.  Upon further examination it turned out to be the darn pesky flies that invaded the area and who Tffnguy had warned us about before our departure. Swept and mopped it real good but the bending over did a number on my back so I decided to quit while I was ahead and go online instead.

A note on Yahoo caught my attention regarding a missing plane with Jenni Rivera on board.  You might ask yourself, who is Jenni Rivera?  Unless you are Hispanic, Latino, Chicano or Mexican-American you  probably have never heard of this well known singer, composer, author,  business woman and  entrepreneur from California.


I knew of the one forum where I could get reliable and up the minute information and that is where I got to see pictures and video before it was broadcasted in the regular media.  Unfortunately  the news was not good.  After her sold out concert in Monterrey last night she and her entourage boarded a private chartered plane en route to Toluca, Mexico.  The radio tower lost communications after only 10 minutes of flight time.

Last known picture of Jenni aboard the plane that ultimately lead to her death
I became glued to the forum and then to the Spanish speaking networks that were frantically trying to beat each other to the tragic news.  Telemundo broadcasted live for four hours and Univision got caught with its pants down and did not chime till later with coverage until midnight.  I had never seen this extensive coverage since the death of another well known Mexican-American singer Selena back in 1995.

While not a fan of her music...I was a great admirer of Jenni the woman, mother, daughter, sister and over all great human being that she was.  Will not go into specifics on this post but I am sure if you care to Google it, you will agree with me that this woman overcame a lot of adversity in her life.  I know of no one in my circle of friends, relatives or acquaintances that has faced the kind of trials and tribulations this lady had to face in her lifetime and yet come out triumphant.

May you rest in peace Jenni!

2 comments:

  1. It's always horrible when this happens, and especially at this time of year. I saw this when i first went online today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad when one goes before their time and specially when she was having the type of success that she was.

    I am concerned for her mother and her young son who are not taking the news well.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.