Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Last 2012 Trip to Ciudad Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico

You would not know it from looking at my skinny cousin, but he can and does eat like a horse :-)  In a week he ate us out of groceries that last mother and I for a month. Had been wanting to go back to Mexico to re-stock for a couple of days now but I had been feeling a little under the weather until today. Been fighting a cough and sniffles with aspirin and NyQuil and hopefully I wont come down with a cold.

I get an e-mail at least once a week asking me if Ciudad Acuna is safe to visit.  I guess it all depends on what your perception of safe is.  My parents, friends and relatives were horrified when I announced 30 plus years ago that I was moving to Houston, Texas.  They considered it to be a very dangerous city and thought I had lost my mind.  Many people still wonder why I continue to live there.  Is Houston safe?  It is all a matter of perception...the same applies to Ciudad Acuna.


All I can tell you is that it is the safest border in Texas and that is not just me saying it, but many other sources, do a google search.  One thing for certain if it was not safe I would never take my mother with me or put myself in harms way.


I figured with Christmas over and done with, there would not be that many shopper out and about...but I was wrong.  There were tons of people and happy to say many American tourists in the bunch :)  Even ran into the guy that runs the computer system at the Val Verde County Library in Del Rio.  He was surprised to see me in Aurrera and asked if I shopped there often, told him I did and he said his family and him did as well.

Aurrera is located inside of Plaza Bella mall

With so many people shopping at Aurrera they were out of a lot of fruits and vegetables which are my mother's favorites so we also paid a visit to Merco.



Both Aurrera and Merco are located along Libramiento Emilio Mendoza Cisneros which is a fast growing section in Ciudad Acuna close to the Maquiladoras and to the new housing sub-divisions called Colonias for the maquiladora employees.  Even El Palacio Municipal (the equivalent of our City Hall) built state of the art installations and moved out of the central downtown area to this new location.

El Palacio Municipal de Ciudad Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico.
They have free internet within their perimeters.
Guess I am so busy driving I had never noticed El Palacio Municipal had so many palm trees

If anyone is looking for a pinata for their New Year's party there are plenty to be had here.

The exchange rates have fallen some from last week.  The going rate today was 12.40 pesos to buy dollars, 12.95 pesos to sell them.




Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have a pass port. Is one required to visit boarder towns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After 9/11 you now have to have a passport or a passcard in order to cross the border back into the United States even if you only crossed to shop at a nearby border town.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.