Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Who says the economy is in bad shape?

Ross (the discount retailer) had been running commercials about their purses being on sale. When I went into town last Wednesday I decided to stop and take a look. All I found was barren shelves in that department. The sales lady told me trucks arrive every day with merchandise but they have not been able to keep them in stock, they sell out daily.

The Ross in Del Rio is located at the corner of the mall so you don't have to go inside the mall or I would have skipped it. Have I mentioned that I don't go shopping in the month of December if I can help it? However the discounted prices lured me...you know how I love bargains!

The mall parking lot was jammed packed and there were no shopping carts to be had. Noticed a lot of license plates from all over Mexico. From what I have read their economy is in worst shape than ours but you would not known it from their purchases at the mall.

While I did not find a purse to my liking, I was people watching. These four girls apparently sisters picked out like 20 purses. I discreetly took out my camera to document the event only for the darn camera to display "card locked" now what in the dickens does that mean? Turned it off and on, took out the card but it still kept on saying the same thing. Maybe instead of a purse I need a new camera? Too bad it is not in the budget.

A well dressed Mexican man was on his cell telling someone that they decided to skip shopping in San Antonio this year and drove to Del Rio instead and went on about the virtues of our little city. Said they were staying in a Del Rio hotel to avoid the long lines to cross the border and would drive back to Monterrey on Tuesday or until his wife maxed out their credit cards :D

Kind of glad I did not find anything because the lines were long and people had stuff piled sky high on their shopping carts. Who says the economy is in bad shape?

Good night. May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. There is a slide button on your memory card that needs to be slid to the other side of the slot to unlock the card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have cheap prices, but I sure hate the long lines and all the people. Some times the Cottonwood store gets real bad though. I guess that's what comes with only having one store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long lines and a lot of people just don't go with me either.

      How are the prices at the Terlingua store?

      Delete
  3. Don't know about the Terlingua store? I've never bought anything there. I don't think its much of a store though. Maybe I'll investigate next time I'm around there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not gone to the Terlingua store in a while. However this year due to the high temperatures they ran out of ice at CASI.

      The guys camp could not find ice in Lajitas or Study Butte only the Terlingua store had it, of course they went up in their prices.

      Delete
  4. The old store in Study Butte across the road from Cottonwood grocery had closed when I was there a week ago. I was told that both of the owners had died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I heard in other blogs and that the daughter could not make a go of it because she was a minor and could not keep the liquor license for the store.

      Delete
  5. MsB, its the granddaughter that wound up with the store and she is a minor. The grandmother got killed in an auto accident and the granddad died of natural causes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification Tffnguy...that is how rumors get started!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.