Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, October 14, 2019

Fake Cold Front / Associates Appreciation Day / Harbor Freight

The cold front was a dud. Yesterday we had a high of 77 and a low of 67 degrees.  Today we had a high of 90 a low of 71 with a heat index of 95 degrees.

I never turned the A/C off I just set it on 80 degrees...when I heard it turn on this afternoon...I knew we were back to our summer temperatures.  I was going to drive into town but changed my mind and decided to do laundry instead after finally tightening up the clothesline.

If you look online it will tell you that Val Verde County got some rain showers both yesterday and today but they mainly fell in the northwestern part of the County out by the lake.

The last time I went to Dollar Tree they gave me a coupon for 10% off if I bought more than $10.00 worth of merchandise on Sunday, October 13th...they called it Associates Appreciation Day.  Being a dollar store that means any item in their store cost .90 cents after the discount.  While not a lot it saved me $1.50 and when you are on a budget every penny counts.

I had considered buying these Egglettes after seeing them on "As seen on TV" last year but I did not like the price.  You may ask yourself...why would you want these Belinda?  Unless you are new to my blog you know that cooking does not come easy for me. 

Whenever I go camping one of my go-to items is hard-boiled eggs but when you remove the shell it stinks and it keeps on stinking unless you immediately put them in the trash.  That is easier said than done when you are partying all day in the desert and you don't want to have to walk all the way to the trash dumpsters.  Did I mention there are rats, snakes, and coyotes in Terlingua?



So what was my surprise but to find them at the bargain price of .90 cents...I could not pass it up!  So if you are considering going camping today or in the future head to Dollar Tree before they are all gone.

Harbor Freight is coming along.  When I got there this afternoon they were putting up the sign.

Before

When I left they had the sign up.  Yeah, progress!  I really need some tarps and I do not have the time or desire to drive to San Antonio or to pay extra for shipping and handling to have them mail to me.

After

I had high hopes for an afternoon shower but if they fell it was in the northwestern part of the county.





Headed to DD's to see what I could score...it was my lucky day...I found a Baggallini purse for the incredible price of $4.99.  It will make a great camping purse when I head to the band stage, small and lightweight.



Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




24 comments:

  1. Nice that you go shopping and save some cash as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love shopping and I love bargains and when they come together bring a smile to my face as well as my wallet :)

      Delete
  2. Hard boiled eggs that you don't have to peel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read several reviews on the Egglettes. I will be interested in what your experience will offer. I would just put shells in a zip lock. And I notice you did not mention SCORPIONS in your critter list. Or fire ants or centipedes. I remember and shudder.
    So I take it you are planning to go this year? If so, I hope you have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the Egglettes do not work out at least I will only be out a dollar (.90 cents plus tax).

      I suppose I did not express myself correctly. The reason why I only mentioned rats, snakes, and coyotes is because rats can smell the trash...snakes can smell the rats...and coyotes can smell food from miles away and could make their way to my tent.

      I used to stay a couple of days after the cook-off when most everyone had gone home. One of the people in my camp started tossing the food she did not eat down the ravine and that night we had a very close call with coyotes who came to eat the leftovers.

      I am not afraid of scorpions, fire ants or centipedes. Have you been to Terlingua before?

      I always make plans to attend but I won't know until we are closer to the date if I can actually go.

      Delete
  4. P.S. Love the purse! What a great score!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally bought a portable generator from HF last Friday during their 3 day sale. Been procrastinating since March. Just heard thunder - hope I don't need it tonite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! Besides power outages, it will come in handy when you go camping at PINS.

      Still waiting for the rain that was supposed to start at 7:00 p.m. we really need it. I hope you receive your fair share tonight.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I have been to Terlingua a few times. A long time ago before it became what it is now. I have been all over that country. I once faced off a rabid coyote in a very close call. Also survived three stings by black scorpions. Bad business, that. I can even remember when Marfa was a sleepy old cowtown. I was raised in Van Horn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about being a tough lady! I do not know if I could face off a rabid coyote or survive the sting of black scorpions. How did you manage to ward him off but the better question is how did you get yourself in such a pickle?

      I have fond memories of Marfa I always liked it better than Alpine. Remember my friends and I going there on the weekends to their drive-in. We used to pack a bunch of us so we could share the gasoline and cost of the movie.

      Van Horn is a nice little town even though if Billy Bob is reading this...he probably would not share my sentiments :D

      Delete
  7. Andy V I bought the Cen-tech 4-1 last week I'm going to take it back it really won't handle what I wanted for my camping needs. It doesn't have a very long lasting battery and you can't charge it off your vehicle battery. I guess I will have to spend big on a Jackery.

    Love the purse. And I will be interested to hear how your egglettes work out. Had put cancel my trip this week as my dog was really sick. First thing vet asked was do you have mesquite pods in your yard? He's much better and now I really have to keep and eye on those darn things they can kill a dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame the Cen-tech 4-1 did not work out for you JO.

      I love my other two Baggallini's they are well made and thought out purses NEVER did I think I could land one at this price.

      I am so sorry to hear Fred got sick but even angrier that it was caused by mesquite pods that are your neighbor's not even yours.

      I remember one of my readers said his horse died due to ingesting mesquite pods. Glad Fred is feeling better.

      Delete
    2. I got a Predator 2000. Hope it works for my simple needs. Need to fire it up within 90 days to make sure it works and if not I can return it. Extended warranty was too expensive.

      Delete
    3. Andy V I tried it out with the Road pro coffee maker and just one small pot full and I had to charge the battery so yes 90 days and yes the extended warranty was way over priced.

      Delete
  8. The coyote was in Addison, Tx. North Dallas. I had stopped to salvage architectural pieces when they were bulldozing all the old homes there. I had a pistol in my running truck, door open. Stood there across a pile of rubble from the coyote for about a lifetime then it kind of ambled and I made a run for the truck and dove in and slammed the door. Grace of God. Scorpion stings happened in Whitsett. Almost died from that. Van Horn is as horrible as rabid coyote and black scorpions. No fond memories, don't miss one person from there. And I am a tough old broad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for recounting your scary encounter with the coyote. Sometimes the comments end up being better than the post itself. That is why I treasure the comments readers take the time to leave and try to make a point of answering each and every one of them.

      Delete
  9. That's some rough country down there in Whitsett! Rattlesnakes, scorpions, javelinas and coyotes could ruin one's day quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until Penelope mentioned it I had never even heard of Whitsett, Texas. After your corroborating testimony, I do not think I ever want to go there.

      Delete
  10. Eggshells no problem for here. I crush and scatter them among my plants: coffee grounds also great to nourish the soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caddie!

      I do not eat many eggs while at home but I do when I go camping in the form of boiled eggs since they last longer and even if I run out of ice they do not go bad.

      The shells tend to smell and if I put them in my ice chest for disposal later the smell permeates the other things I have there. That and the fact that I am lazy I do not always walk to the trash bins they set up for the Chili-heads.

      I do not drink coffee unless I have to drive a long distance to keep me awake but I buy it already made at the convenience stores on the way.

      Like you mention I have read both eggshells and coffee grounds are good for nourishing the soil but I do not have plants that could benefit from it.

      Delete
  11. What an interesting thread! Love your journal. You are all tougher than me -- I stay away from Terlingua area during the cook off, I hate traffic. But I think the partyers that go there are interesting people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha!

      I think as women we underestimate our strength and when we are confronted by a dangerous situation our survival instinct takes over and we are capable of doing things we never thought we were capable of.

      I too hate traffic that is why I like to arrive early to secure my favorite camping spot and leave a couple of days after it ends. I do not leave the campground after Wednesday as there are too many police entities ready to pull you over for the smallest infraction.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.