Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Smorgasbord of medical tests as well as lunch dishes

I barely slept Sunday night fearing that I would not wake up in time to make it to my early morning appointment at the Del Rio Civic Center where Life Line Screening had set up shop.  If you recall last year I miss out on registering and was told there was a Texas law that prevented them from doing so within a 21 hour period (why not 24 hours?). Now I believe the person I spoke with must of been a new uninformed employee. The lady I spoke with today said walk-ins have always been welcomed.

Arrived earlier even though on their e-mail they said that was not required I would be called at my appointed hour. Glad I did because they were having problems with their internet connection and their tablets were not working adequately.

If you are new to my blog you must know that it also doubles as my Cyber Journal as I do not have the best memory and if I document it here then I have easy access to it. I do not have medical insurance so at least in my case, I find the tests provided by Life Line Screening in particular if you bundle them up to be affordable.

These were all the tests I had today:
  1. Stroke Risk Carotid Artery Plaque Build up
  2. Peripheral Arterial Disease Screening
  3. Osteoporosis Risk
  4. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening
  5. Atrial Fibrillation Screening
  6. Kidney and Liver Function Screening
  7. C-Reactive Protein Screening
  8. A1C Test

I had to be fasting for all these tests and my last meal of the day had to be half of what I normally eat.  So I ate half a bowl of cereal at 11:00 p,m.  Needless to say, I was starving by the time my tests were completed.


Felt that I needed to treat myself so I headed to Sirloin Stockade for the lunch buffet.  Please do not be judgemental as I mentioned before all I had to eat Sunday was cereal for breakfast, no lunch and half a bowl of cereal for a late dinner.

Here are some of the selections I indulged in...remember NO food shaming!

Lasagna, zucchini, and cabbage

Baked tilapia, cabbage, zucchini. and
garlic bread (was not very good)

A hamburger patty, green beans, mashed potatoes
and more zucchini

Breaded pork chop (too salty), mashed potato, and cabbage
Went home to work off my lunch by doing yard work.  I was pleasantly surprised when all of a sudden we had a five-minute rain shower.  Unfortunately, the humidity became unbearable so I had to go inside.

Later in the afternoon, I went for an hour walk since I had missed my walk on Sunday and Monday morning.  In case you are wondering I have not eaten since lunch yesterday, in fact, I am not even hungry.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

12 comments:

  1. I am sure you know you are not alone. We all have our crosses to bear. Trouble is, I have to go back and do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing everything I can to get ahead of future medical problems that can rear their ugly head down the road.

      You are lucky to have your family to take care of you and drive you to appointments. Not all of us are as fortunate.

      Delete
  2. I'm still laughing, as I had to go back and check what you wrote to see if you actually had all that food in one sitting! It looks to be very healthy food for the most part. As far as those tests go, I probably could eliminate the A1C test, but the others are either probable or a question mark. I' rather not take any tests as long as I can keep moving. I get such bad side effects from almost all meds, so I' be out of luck if i had to start taking any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been a hearty eater. As a child my mother even took me to the doctor because since she eats like a bird she thought there was something wrong with me :D

      The doctor told her...Ma'am do you know how many parents bring me their children because they do NOT want to eat? Be glad yours does...jajajajajaja!

      When I was younger I worked it off by going dancing now I have to limit my intake and make sure I accompany it with lots of vegetables. I was very stressed out about the tests so I felt I needed a reward. This does not happen very often :)

      Delete
  3. Don't worry about what others think about what you eat! Eating is a very personal thing...

    With that said I don't see how people can eat cabbage like that! :-)
    Coleslaw or not at all... preferably on some pulled pork on a bun!
    I hope your tests come out ok...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some food shamers out there...

      I would have to agree with you that has not always been my favorite way to eat cabbage. As a kid that is how my mother cooked it and forced me to eat it and a bunch of other vegetables.

      As a young adult I quit eating vegetables and it wasn't until about twelve years ago that I started eating them again due to health reasons.

      Delete
  4. Glad that you got the tests all done and why not treat yourself to a feast, it all loos amazing. Don;t feel guilty you deserved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting all those tests out of the way was a great relief. I even decided to forego making a post last night and went to bed early as I was so sleepy after not being able to get some shut-eye the night before.

      Every night after reading your blog I go to bed even hungrier after seeing the great meals you whip up nightly for Suzie and yourself.

      I do not feel even the least bit guilty after having indulged on some almost as good as home cooking since the "culinary gene" in my case skipped a generation.

      Delete
  5. So glad you were able to get these tests done and are taking good care of yourself. It must be terribly stressful being the sole caregiver for your Mother so hope you are also taking a good vitamin B complex, as well as B12. I can also recommend zinc and magnesium on top of a good "one pill with all vitamins". When will you get your results?
    And food shamers can go take a flyer! I LOVE seeing what everyone eats, so keep on with the pics.I was disappointed you didn't polish off some pie ala mode! There is always some idiot who wants to criticize. I say "Bah!!" Like the old song says, "You can't please everyone so you might as well please yourself." Too bad about the garlic bread, though.
    I made chicken and dumplings with cornbread the first day It snowed. Creamy, dreamy, yummy. Wish you could have joined me. Also made carrot cake and slathered it with cream cheese frosting. Take that, food shamers.
    I have been reading about Jose Jose and the family fight going on. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the commercial would say getting these tests out of the way "was priceless".

      I am not so much worried about dying...as I am of having a heart attack or a stroke...then ending up in a nursing home since I do not have any family in Del Rio (obviously my mother would not be able to take care of me) and even if they lived here there is no guarantee they would be willing to look after me.

      My father suffered three strokes in his life and my mother a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) so my family medical history does not bode well for me.

      It has been a very, very long time since I had chicken and dumplings or cornbread for that matter. If I was in a snowstorm like the one you experienced recently I think I too would have enjoyed cooking up something warm to fill my belly and warm up my house.

      The reason I did not polish off a pie was that my sugar levels must have been stable. Even as a child I never liked deserts or candy...another thing my mother found ODD about me since she loved them.

      The feud between José José and his children from different marriages had escalated. Tonight they reached an agreement after a three-hour meeting in the Mexican Consulate in Miami.

      Hopefully, they have ironed out their differences because up to three o'clock this afternoon per "Al Rojo Vivo" on Telemundo his children from his second marriage were talking about suing Sarita, their step-sister from his third and last marriage.

      Delete
  6. Wishing all good results on your test.

    Your food looked quite healthy to me mostly all veggies and hamburger patty without bread, the breaded pork chop was to salty so I don't know if your ate it your portions weren't that large so I think you did really well and ate smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes JO. I too hope they come out OK.

      I made sure I had a lot of vegetables to go with the not so healthy choices such as a hamburger and breaded pork chop.

      I was taught as a child not to waste food so I scraped off the breaded part and then drowned it with mashed potatoes, cabbage and Tabasco sauce.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.