Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Washing my camping bedding / Harbor Freight Tarp

If you ever have the opportunity to attend the Chili Cook-off one of the first things I would recommend is for you to protect your upholstery.  There is a lot of dust, people will spill beer others will throw up or worse.

I place a flannel sheet on the back seats then a plastic sheet protector followed by a comforter, then lined with flattened cardboard beer containers and thick cardboard boxes to keep the ice chest from sweating onto the seats.  To further protect it I bought a thick canvas pet-friendly liner...and if that was not protection enough I further cover it with the big cardboard that they use to separate the different levels of drinking water bottles at the store.


Yesterday all that had to come out to be washed and or replaced.  Headed to the nearby washateria this morning where there was only one other customer who was about done and a guy who was repairing the washer and driers.

This laundromat always decorates for each holiday.
 They have newer machines and it is a well maintained and clean laundromat.


While they have raised their prices due to the increase in water rates they are still reasonable.  A little secret only known to regulars...one of their $4.00 machines only charges $2.75 and I was able to save a little money.


Washed my sleeping bag, comforter, flannel sheets and towels in a calm and child-free environment.


I was prepared to use the largest of their washing machines to wash my sleeping bag and comforter for $6.00 but as I mentioned was able to use the customer reward machine for $2.75...you know how I love bargains!


Went I got home I covered my front and passenger seats with long and thick freshly laundered towels and after putting everything back in the back seat...it gave the car a nice clean fresh smell.

I know a couple of you have been wondering why I want a Harbor Freight heavy-duty tarp.  Here is your answer...



First of all, it is big 11.4 feet 4 inches times 18 feet 6 inches for $18.99 which in itself is a super bargain in comparison to other stores.  Add to that a 20 percent off coupon.


That brings the price down to $15.19.  The one I have has lasted 4 years in the unrelenting Texas heat, sun and exposed to the elements.

Good news...I do not have to purchase a tarp after all...found three today!

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



Camping Saying of the Day


14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are about ready to go and have too much fun. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ready to go have fun George.

      For some reason it has been difficult to get all my gear ready this year.

      Delete
  2. So glad the tarp drama is past. Hee

    Go My SPURS Go !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let the "MY SPURS" comment slide only because it's late at night and I am so tired...only wish I was also sleepy :-(

      I had the TV on but only listened to it. I sat down for the last five minutes or so to watch them pull their first win of the season.

      I asked you a while back what were your thoughts about Tim Duncan being named coach of The Spurs. You told me at the time that you had not had a chance to mull over it.

      I almost died laughing when I heard the Red Mamba mention that he was curious about what he would wear this evening since he was not a "suit type of person".

      When I would walk by and they focused on Pop and Becky I never saw him until the very end when he went to congratulate I forgot who and saw him dressed in business casual attire.

      Delete
    2. I've been in Houston last few days and didn't get to watch.
      ASTROS really looking bad. Good luck on your trip!

      Delete
    3. I am not that much into baseball...for my friends that are...they are not very happy with their performance.

      Thank you for your good wishes.

      Delete
  3. That is a nice laundromat. Wish we had one as nice here. There are two, one has half the machines with out of order signs, the other with ancient machines.
    Glad you found your tarps. That is a savings. I put my storage stuff in colored plastic bins to identify the contents.
    Looks as though you are getting well organized for your trip. Should be a great time for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when they built such a nice laundromat out here in the county. At the time it became the nicest one in town. The one I used to frequent was like the one you describe yours to be. Even the people that live in Del Rio city limits would drive all the way out here.

      Seeing their success the owners built one in Del Rio as equally nice but with higher prices.

      When storage bins first came out they were usually blue, or gray. I considered them to be a great invention and bought quite a few. So color coding would not work for me in this case.

      Getting organized has been difficult for me this year but I plan to make it out there this year even if it kills me!

      Delete
  4. I sure am looking forward to lots and lots of photos from this event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the plan Gypsy but this morning the phone gave me a scare when it refused to take pictures. I had to turn in on and off several times and then just turned it off altogether for a few hours.

      When I went to Walmart on Monday I wanted to look at their cameras only to find that they no longer carry them in the store...they have to be ordered online.

      Delete
  5. HA, the desired tarps appeared! I am so glad to hear you are actually going this year. Yea. Hope you can post while you're there for the us stay-at-homes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a lot of time, effort and muscle to move boxes, containers, and ice chests to finally find them. The last time I was in attendance back in 2016 I "car camped" and only used a small tarp for my tent shower.

      As you know I am "technologically challenged" and I do not have a clue how to blog using a cellphone or a tablet. It is also difficult to get an internet signal at the event or at least that was the case on my last visit.

      Delete
  6. That would have been a great bargain if the store was opened already. But even better is you found yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would have JO...to bad it is not opened already. I still need to replace the one I have had for four years.

      It would have also been handy today since there are other items I failed to find...the most important being a hammer :-(

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.