Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, December 27, 2019

A scary high pitch sound in the middle of the night

Yesterday we had a gray, foggy and humid day.  If you were looking out the window you would have thought that it was also cold outside but that was not the case.


It was so foggy you could not see the horses in Walter's corral. Both yesterday and today our high for the day was in the 70-degree range.  Not complaining though as the weather in other parts of the nation was downright frigid.  I still can not believe all the snow California received.


Last night I fell asleep watching television in the living room.  For once I was not upset that the cable box turned itself off because at 2:53 a.m. I heard this horrible high pitch sound and something rubbing itself against the outside wall.  Immediately all the neighborhood dogs began to bark but with a different kind of bark...like they were afraid.

I tried to get up but did so very fast that it made my head spin and I had to sit back down because I became dizzy. The first thing that came to mind was that it was that darn raccoon trying to eat one of my boys (cats).  But I did not hear any cat sounds or any other familiar sound.

I then recalled a blogger from Terlingua that once told me that during the night she would lock up her dogs to protect them from coyotes.  She heard a terrible sound late one evening but did not go outside until morning when she found that a rattlesnake had bitten and killed one of her dogs.

Needless to say, I could not go back to sleep. As soon as daylight broke I went outside to check on the boys and both Paquito and Katie were in their cuchas but I could not find Nico. That is not surprising because he goes off somewhere at night...still have not figured out where. Walked around the property calling out his name as well as looking to see if I found a victim.  Lucky for me he came over the fence from Walter's corral and was safe and sound.

Right now we are having pretty strong winds hopefully the Internet does not go out before I finish this post.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day







14 comments:

  1. Mountain Lions, Cougars, Pumas or whatever label you hang on them will give off a shrill growl when they feel they are being threatened but not sure if there are any in your area.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While we live in the county this has become a sub-division making it harder for the more fierce animals to wonder into due to dogs, noise and the fact that the new trash containers are not as easy to flip if they are looking for food.

      That is not to say they are not around as I have documented on prior posts that both mountain lions and bears have made their way out to this part of the county.

      The shrill was just petrifying and scared me to death even more so when I heard the thump against the outer wall.

      Delete
  2. Oh how scary! My first thought was it might have been a bobcat or mountain lion. Maybe that big raccoon was being chased? I am glad your cats were okay. It is always possible to get all manner of wildlife when you live in the country. I keep my 12ga loaded and handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know Ms. Penny, it could have been anything but not a cat or a dog. I have my gun handy but I was not about to go outside to find out. Not in the middle of the night with my bad eyesight and feeling dizzy.

      Delete
  3. Aunty Acid gave me a big chuckle! When I leave the house I ALWAYS tell Rocky, "I'll be back."

    Fortunately I don't hear any strange sounds in the middle of the night, and Rocky would hear them before I do. My entire side and back yard is fenced, which I hope would keep big predators out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I'm glad I am not the only one that tells her pets that. When I saw her saying I just had to incorporate it into the blog :)

      You are right Rocky would hear the predator before you and he would start barking and scare them.

      Delete
  4. I, too, always tell my dogs to be good and I will be back home as soon as I can. We had a mountain lion scream just outside the bedroom window. Sure puts a chill up your spine and yes, I am sure that is what it was because one of my son's game cameras got a couple of picture of it. And I only live about 30 miles north of Houston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you know for sure that it was a mountain lion...I still have no idea what in the world it was.

      I have been looking for my game cam for a long time now to monitor who comes to eat my boys food and what other creatures might pay a visit during the night. I have yet to find it.

      That makes three of us who tell our pets we will be back soon...is somebody else out there in the blogosphere holding out on us?

      Delete
  5. Ummm... Errrr... Maybe. I mean, I want him to know he will see me again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Shadowmoss thanks for joining the crowd :D

      Delete
  6. A coupla weeks back I was sleeping with the windows open and at 3:30 AM I heard the bloodcurdling scream of 2 coyotes right outside. THEN, they started in perfect pitch and timing with a siren going by nearby. Very unsettling and didn't get back to sleep til after 5:00. So I know your experience! Not a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would have scared me worst had I had the windows open thank goodness it was cold outside. Though after that encounter with the possum and the raccoon I no longer open them.

      For some reason, I thought you lived in the city limits.

      Delete
    2. I do. But the golf courses, greenbelts and parks are pretty much all connected and are habitats for the skunks, raccoons, possums, deer and coyotes I regularly encounter. Just like you country folk. Thank God no mountain lions, cougars, pumas or bears!

      Delete
    3. I am surprised I remembered that...have not lost all my marbles yet :D

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.