Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

It started out cold (45 degrees) but slowly warmed up to a high of 77 this afternoon. It was warmer outside than inside the house. I needed to run several errands so headed on out. I have been carrying my laundry in the trunk of my car waiting for a lull in the crowds at the laundromat but today was not that day.


HEB was packed as it was closing at 8:00 p.m. and not reopening until December 26th at 6:00 a.m.  Their gas pumps were all full as drivers heading to México made their last gasoline fill-up in the States.  A gallon of unleaded gasoline was going for $2.159.


As I drove down Veterans Memorial I decided to stop at the place that sells homemade tamales. This time the lady that makes them was there along with more family members. The girl in the green sweater was a client that bought seven dozen tamales...that is 84 tamales!  Forgot to mention they also sell buñuelos, sopapillas and other Mexican pastries. You can click on the following picture to enlarge it and see the variety of items they sell.


This time they had a large selection of tamales. I wanted to buy the bean with cheese and jalapeños but they had run out so I chose just beans and jalapeños. I suppose it was fate as people with high cholesterol levels such as myself should not eat cheese.


I spotted chicken with green chili and decided to buy them as well. I asked the lady if I could take a picture of her tamale stand and she gave me permission and then decided she would put it on her Facebook page as well. I asked her what the name of her business was and she said she did not have one she was posting to her personal account. She told me her name but with my CRS I do not recall what it was...:-(

HEB is on Gibbs Street and if you keep on heading south you will reach the International Bridge to cross into México. As I was taking pictures across the street from the HEB gas pumps I saw an RV heading fast towards the bridge but thought nothing of it. I too headed towards the bridge just to see how long the lines to cross into Mexico were as I had been watching the live feed on my computer and yesterday they were quite long.

This live feed is from the toll booths going to Mexico. The cars on the top right corner have just cleared Customs and are returning to the USA.

https://g1.ipcamlive.com/player/player.php?alias=5da4899f1d893&fbclid=IwAR1IhiAyv7IAIUV8Cov4KdUHpllqo8dQMezH4jKWM0Fmh2zmt8Cu-gQVUYI

I suppose he realized at the last minute that he was headed into México and not Stripes where they have gasoline pumps for 18 wheelers and large RV's as this is the only truck stop in Del Rio and made a U-turn.


I caught up to him at the light and noticed he had Alaskan license plates and was a younger guy (no wonder he was driving fast).  Since I too was headed to Stripes but in my case, for some unsweetened tea, to go with my tamales... I noticed he pulled in for gasoline.


The lady that makes the tamales told me that since they have been so successful this past year they have decided to sell them on weekends as well this coming 2020...that is great news!  In case you are wondering I ate in moderation and froze the rest.

I want to wish all my readers a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying



12 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas MsBelinda! Enjoy the tamales....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and yours including Larry :)

      Delete

  2. Merry Christmas o y; all as well.Got your tamales supply always good for a naughty girl. Thanks fir the Christmas wishes I an happy and loved enjoying a wonderful Christmas day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George may you and Suzie enjoy a wonderful Christmas Day.

      Delete
  3. Wishing you Safe and Merry Christmas. Enjoy the Tamales.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May you both enjoy a Safe and Merry Christmas as well.

      Delete
  4. I bet that woman will have plenty of happy customers for her tamales. I would be one if I were there.
    I spent all day digging out from our three day snowstorm. Hopefully, I burned a few calories. The temperature has been dropping all day and we are @ 10* now. I am wrapped up in double pajamas by the fire and watching 'Lonesome Dove'. I understand part of it was filmed by Del Rio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy for her as jobs are not easy to come by in these parts. Not only does she have a job but now her own small successful family business.

      A three-day snowstorm? Oh my...and then to have to dig out of it? It would have to be a life or death situation for me to get out there to shovel snow.

      It is a good thing you have a fireplace because at ten degrees I would be freezing to death as I would not be able to afford the electric bill.

      Would you believe I have never seen Lonesome Dove? A couple of years ago one of my readers was the one who informed me that it was filmed at a nearby ranch.

      Delete
  5. I would give anything for a fresh home-made tamale! I tried making them years ago - I made about 75 of them and they were pretty good. I had to go out and when I returned several hours later there were 3 tamales left! My young son and his friend couldn't stop eating them. After all the work of making them and ending up with three, I never tried it again. But they were oh, so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have cried after all my hard work to be left with only three tamales :-(

      They must have paid for that dearly as that is a LOT of tamales to be consumed in a few hours particularly when you are a kid.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.