Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, December 30, 2019

Why call Pollito when I have Caballito...

It was 35 degrees this morning that is considered COLD for these parts.  The kitchen is the only room that has windows facing north, east and south...lately rather than taking my solar lights outside to charge I have been charging them from the kitchen.

When I opened the blinds I noticed Ramón (not his real name) who used to be Walter's owner throwing things at his horse. I was surprised and upset that he would do that. He then looked towards the house and saw me looking at him from the window and stopped.

I went to grab my phone and the boys food and went outside by then Ramón was no longer there I supposed he had left for work. Then I saw that the horse had crossed the street so I walked to the corner that is when I noticed that his horse was in the corral and that this was a different horse. That is when it dawned on me that he must have been eating his horse's hay so he ran him off.

When the horse saw me he crossed the street and came into our yard.  That is when the girl horse started to neigh loudly and he went to her side and was there for a long time.


I had to drive into town to run errands so I let them be. As I went by HEB I noticed that gasoline had gone up to $2.299 an increase of .12 cents.  When I passed Walmart I was delighted to see that their parking lot was almost empty so stopped to pick up a couple of groceries.



While I would only save .01 cent per gallon decided to fill-up here as well.


When I arrived back home the horse was still here but this time he was grazing...who needs Pollito when I have Caballito (an endearing term for a horse).


It was getting warm especially in the sun so I rewarded him for his hard work by bringing him some water.


I recalled a couple of years ago that a Sheriff's Deputy came to knock at the door to tell us that there were two horses on our property who had been reported missing and that their owner would soon be by to pick them up so to please not run them off...we had no idea they were even here.

I, therefore, felt obliged to call the Sheriff's department to let them know I had a lost horse in our property.  He took down my name, telephone, and address and said he would send a squad car.  I told him the horse was not bothering me and I did not mind that he was here.

Grabbed a chair, my cell and the cordless phone in case they called. Sat outside with the boys in the warm sunshine.  No one came by or called so I went in at 5:00 p.m. to watch the news.


Both cats soon fell asleep but I only got a pic of Nico.


I went back outside at 6:00 p.m. and Romeo (decided to name him that) was still with Juliet and more than likely will spend the night here.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Saying of the Day



10 comments:

  1. A pleasant Monday! Happy New Years Eve MsBelinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasant Monday to you as well Rob!

      I have no idea if it will be a Happy New Years Eve...it all depends on the neighbors and how many fireworks they decide to pop and for how long.

      Wish people would just attend the city sponsored Fireworks Display in town and stop terrorizing the poor cats, dogs, horses and other wildlife here in the county. Not to mention those idiots that fire their guns at midnight.

      New Year's Eve and 4th of July are not my favorite holidays.

      Delete
  2. Ha! When I saw the first picture where the male stray went to the female in your neighbor's corral & looked back at you like "Leave us alone, human!" I was *exactly* reminded of when Romeo came to Juliet's balcony. Their names are perfect! I hope you get to keep him!

    And I hope you, your family & all your friends have a very Happy New Year Ms B! I'll also be very nervous all night. Not only do I have a dog who gets spooked by the noises (one just went off as I wrote that & it's only 3 in the afternoon!) I live in a forest & it's been a while since we've had rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it felt like that was what Romeo was telling me. However, I do not want to keep him, I have enough with the boys food and vet bills in particular Paquito's.

      In this neighborhood they have been popping fireworks since Sunday afternoon. On New Year's Eve they started at 5:15 p.m. but not on this street but the street behind Mr. Joe's house (mom's nice neighbor)...all his chickens went crazy lucky it did not last long.

      May you and yours also have a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year 2020!

      Delete
  3. Nice horse, good way to get your yard cleaned up.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Romeo is no longer around...maybe his owner came to pick him up? He sure did help me though and left me plenty of fertilizer, lol :)

      Happy New Year to you as well JO.

      Delete
  4. I still have about 45 minutes to go before I ring in the new year (PST). So far I haven't heard any noise, but I don't know what midnight will bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you do not own a television set where you can learn what is permitted or not. Though you do live in a big city where more than likely fireworks are banned and subject to big fines if they do not follow the law.

      Both in Del Rio and Houston I happen to live in the county where they are allowed. Saw on the news where this lady nurse in Houston was outside of her house popping fireworks with her family at midnight when all of the sudden she screamed that she had been shot.

      Sure enough someone had fired their gun in the air at midnight and that bullet hit her. Reports say that the bullet could of come from blocks away. Such a senseless death!

      Delete
  5. It is good to know people like you who are concerned about animals and go out of their way to help. Thank you, MsBelinda! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anyone would give a lost horse water especially after all the weed eating he did.

      Happy New Year Martha Graham to you as well!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.