Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, December 23, 2019

Pleasant temperatures / Grandma's Saying

These past three days have been a carbon copy of each other. Lows in the lower 30's and highs in the low to mid 70's. Today we had a high of 76 degrees. I have been cracking open the windows in the afternoon to air out the house but closing them before the sun goes down as the temperatures drop quickly after that.

Saturday around 10:30 a.m. Pollito's sidekick saw me outside taking pictures and stopped to let me know that he had gone by the house of the man that is fixing his lawnmower but he wasn't there. He asked if I wanted him to bag my leaves but I told him that what I really wanted was for the baby mesquites to be cut down on the southern lot and for him to mow along the street side of the fence. He didn't seem to like that idea and told me he would be back after Christmas if he had a chance.

That reminded me of a saying my grandmother liked to use "Buscan trabajo y ruegan a Dios no encontrarlo"...which literally translates to..."They look for work but pray to God not to find any". While I barely knew my grandmother and never heard her say anything both my mother and uncle always give her credit for that saying. I must admit it applies perfectly to those two.

This whole weekend I have spent looking for a document to no avail. Found other things I had given up on ever locating including my original social security card that was actually filled out using a typewriter...that makes me feel old...:-(

I came across a lot of coins but have no idea what their worth might be as they are Mexican coins and I do not know if they lose their value like their paper currency. Glad our coins and paper currency do the opposite.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Saying of the Day


8 comments:

  1. Your Grandmother's saying is very true of many.
    Most times Currencies in good condition increase in value. Simply go through Google Search and you can find their values.
    Wishing you a Safe and Merry Christmas Season.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I hope to set aside some time to research these coins though I doubt they are worth much.

      Happy Holidays to you and Kathy.

      Delete
  2. Don't you have a new lawn mower still in the box? Tell him if he puts it together he can use it to cut down your weeds LOL

    Wishing you a Merry Christmas MsBelinda and your mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, JO! Actually, I took it out of the box but never put it together. It is a small electric mower that would probably come apart after mowing down the first weed.

      It was intended to replace the other electric mower that I used to use to cut my postage stamp size Houston yard but decided to hire a lawn guy instead. That young man has a better work ethic than these two dinosaurs put together.

      Merry Christmas to you and your family.

      Delete
  3. Feliz Navidad, Ss!

    Don't eat too many tamales.

    GSG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feliz Navidad, Sb!

      Too late while you were leaving this comment I was out buying more tamales :D

      Delete
  4. That saying is so funny. Yeah, I don't think hard work agrees with him.
    We have had a heavy snow storm here all day, although it is not all that cold, so a very picturesque Christmas Eve.
    I have discovered a drink called 'The Magic Potion'...Bailey's and eggnog. I think it is the best I have ever tasted.
    Tamales tomorrow! I hope your Christmas is filled with many tasty treats, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many funny sayings wish I could incorporate them all probably won't live long enough to do so but that one really cracked me up!

      You got yourself a White Christmas something a lot of people wish for. This is the first year I did not have my egg nog and Kahlua so enjoy your Magic Potion and have a sip for me :-(

      May you have a great Christmas as well.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.