Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

More bad weather on the way

I have been getting caught up on local news by reading Ciudad Acuña's El Zócalo Texas section Found out that due to the inclement weather we are under a curfew and one could be subjected to a $500 fine for violating it. HEB was not open until noon on Monday and Walmart closed early because there was no power. Other businesses including restaurants and fast food establishments did the same.



Our Civic Center has been converted into a shelter.  Most of the town is shut down.  This evening we expect a hard freeze and tomorrow night more snow is on the way.


San Antonio is about to break a record of the longest period below freezing that is 108 hours set back in 1951.



Only a few San Antonio area HEB stores are open and there are long lines to get in with up to an hour wait in the freezing cold.



I do not see any social distancing in play here.


There are limits on different items depending on the store's location.



They were interviewing people as they exited the store and many said there was hardly anything on the store shelves. It boggles my mind that after a year into Covid people do not have the foresight to have food and water in case of an emergency.  It is not like they did not have any warnings, the San Antonio media (where we get our channels from) warned us of the severity of the event.

I was charging my phone when they gave the snow forecast expected on Wednesday evening/Thursday morning so I could not snap a picture...it was between 2 to 5 inches...I think that is an exaggeration but we will see :-(

The rowdy/drunk and his family came back to his parent's house.  His grandmother told me that they were renting an apartment.  I suppose his power and water went out?

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have had power through this ordeal. I hope your good luck continues.
    I am surprised they have put a curfew in place. I do think it is a wise decision because of so many idiots wanting to be out and about. Wrecked vehicles and injured drivers use a lot of resources better directed in other directions.
    Like you, I am flabbergasted at the people who are clueless about taking steps to be prepared for emergencies. Or inform themselves how to survive these events. I have seen so many posts saying there was no warning. Uh, yes, there was plenty of warning.
    Abbott blaming AOC is just beyond pathetic trump finger pointing and name calling. They need to bring him back to Yellowstone for another leg dipping. ( are you familiar with this story from a few years back? He had severe burns up to his knees...said he burned them in a shower. )
    I bet people are also surprised the shelves can empty quick.
    Sorry to hear junior is back at his parent's house.
    Stay safe and snug my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know how we got so lucky to have only had power spikes lasting just seconds and not the hours-long power outages we are accustomed to even in normal weather. Just two more frigid nights and hopefully this nightmare will be over.

      I think they took into account the idiots that go out just to gawk and then end up in accidents themselves when they issued the curfew. We had several wrecks. I just learned that the local hospital is operating with industrial-type generators that use diesel.

      I am not able to see channels on any of our TVs only on my computer or cellphone. I normally use the TVs like a radio so I can hear them in different parts of the house and stop if it is something important. I can not do that now as I have too much to do during the day to sit at the computer. I only heard Abbott was blaming the Green New Deal which is something AOC and Bernie Sanders support but that is it. Maybe Rachel Maddow will go into detail in her show tonight.

      I remember he allegedly burnt his legs in the shower but I think that was just around the time they were going to nominate "the now-disgraced twice impeached one-term former president" and I did not pay much attention to the story.

      More stories of people standing in long lines at grocery stores and at Academy to purchase camping gear and winter clothing.

      You stay safe and warm as well amiga.

      Delete
  2. Glad your power is holding out.
    It seems like you are getting hit harder than we are for the snow but your Lows are our Highs.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad the power is holding up too. All the friends I have been able to contact in San Antonio, Houston, Eagle Pass, and Amarillo do not have power and or water.

      Two arctic fronts accompanied by two snowstorms in one week is unheard of and I hope I never have to experience this again in my lifetime!

      Delete
  3. Good to hear you still had power at the time of this post and continue to do so. This is brutal weather for so many and people are dying everywhere. But like you said this was not just a hit no one new about they had been announcing the front for over a week and still people weren't prepared!. Why stand in line to get in a store when nothing is left anyway. I always have a case of water in my closet and my fridge has 1/2 case at all time. I have prepared meals in the pantry that can easily be opened with a hand held can opener and of I have propane for my camping stoves. But not everyone is a camper so they really don't have these items. But if I new this was happening I would have gone out right away and bought them. Of course not everyone had a prepare attitude and many think it's stupid. I'm not one who is a doomsday out look but I have enough sense to know you should be ready for bad weather or other natural disasters. I know you are pretty much of that mind also to stock up when you hear warnings. Stay safe and warm as possible. I'm keeping you and your mom in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have truly been fortunate JO as this is not the type of climate senior citizens or other vulnerable populations should have to face without electricity, heat, and water.

      It has not only affected our state but the four Mexican states that share a border with Texas...Coahuila, Chihuahua, Nuevo Leon, and Tamaulipas. They buy gas from the US to power their grid and without it many people that can not pay the higher prices are dying from carbon monoxide poisoning using other methods to keep warm.

      As much as people are attached to their cellphones I do not know how they did not Google how to stay warm and survive a winter storm without heat.

      Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.