Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, February 15, 2021

Winter Storm Uri

Last night the snow began falling in earnest around 7:17 p.m. I could see it from the kitchen window as I glanced at the corner street light. Then the wind gusts began and the power spikes started that is when I retreated to my room to work on my blog.

If you read me regularly you know I sometimes tend to give long answers in particular if it has something to do with politics or a current national event. I lost my comment three times due to power spikes so I gave up. Then the Internet went out followed by the cable but I was able to use my cellphone to leave a comment not as MsBelinda but as TerlinguaDreams.

I was glad the power grid held up and that we had a toasty house to sleep in. Today I read that the power went out in South Del Rio and while we also live in the southern part of the county it is not within Del Rio city limits. That area has many old mansions including the Brinkley Mansion so their power outage was not long-lived.

Today was the first day that we finally saw the sun and I was able to charge my solar lights since it had not made an appearance in days. This morning the cable was messed up and the only channel I was able to get was Channel 1 which is Spectrum Texas News...hmmm...how convenient!!

This afternoon the only way I could watch television was through my computer.  If I tried to cast it to my Smart TV it would not let me. Did not want to call them as I know they were probably busy and was glad that at least I had access to TV channels.

I was disappointed that I did not know the actual temperatures recorded in Del Rio last night or the snow totals as it appears the local weather station was having issues and could not report them even this afternoon.




The strong winds blew snow up to the kitchen door an area where Bonnie Mae and Mauricio's cucha is located. I had to shovel snow so I would not slip and fall when I went outside to feed them. I will write more about that in Walter's blog when I have time.

My rain catchment tubs and containers were frozen solid but I have three other 32-gallon containers filled with Del Rio tap water.




Even the cars in the garage/carport were covered with snow due to the strong winds. This afternoon I started my car and let it warm up for a long while. The last thing I need is to have a dead battery though I have no plans to leave the house.

I hope all the people that are able to read me did not suffer too many inconveniences due to winter storm Uri.  It definitively was a PITA for us Texans.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




Header Picture



13 comments:

  1. Glad you did not lose your power.
    Even on cloudy days the solar will charge things up.
    Drifting is a common problem.
    Don't slip on the ice or that will be a PITA.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the seclusion.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleasantly surprised that we did not lose our power but we still have two more cold days to go...I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear you are successfully dealing with the nasty cold and serious service issues. living in So Cal so we are avoiding the impacts of the polar vortex.
    One of my daughters is living near Austin so shes in the middle of dealing with the results of this inclement weather.
    Stay Safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This storm took many by surprise no one was expecting the harsh bitter cold and the consequences it would bring.

      Hope your daughter is doing well in Austin and you can be glad knowing that you are far away from it all enjoying the So Cal weather.

      Delete
  3. I've been wondering how you were doing all day. This weather front is a bad one and has covered many states. Just happy you are still doing well and have not lost power to keep warm. Good to know you were able to charge you solar lights. Take care and be safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my Houston friends and neighbors have cellphones so I have not wanted to call them since they have no power and I do not want to drain their phones. Only texted with two and they are not happy with the electric companies response.

      Thank you for thinking of me I can not believe we have both water and electricity when others in Del Rio do not. We still have two cold nights ahead so being able to fully charge my solar lights eased my mind a bit.

      Delete
  4. Whew. Glad you are OK and in contact. Yes. This one is a biggie.
    Lots of problems with the big 3 - electricity, water, and heat.
    By the way, I cannot find a translation of cucha. I am not familiar with that one. And the translations I found didn't sound like what you were talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering how you and your city were doing with the big three. You being further north your temperatures are usually much colder. Hope everything is well with you and yours.

      Cucha is a homemade shelter you make for your pet. It can also be a store-bought one. I have a lot of pictures in my other blog of the cat shelters I have made out of cardboard boxes, pillows, warm clothing, towels, and old blankets.

      Delete
  5. While the snow can be pretty, the ice sure isn't. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that any more. Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I enjoy seeing pictures and videos of snow but ice can be and often is deadly like that huge accident that took place in a Dallas/Fort Worth freeway last week that killed six people.

      Everyone knows Texas is hot so we do not know how to deal with ice, snow, arctic temperatures, and now like Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said; a winter storm the equivalent of a hurricane Harvey.

      Delete
    2. I froze my butt off 14 degrees and no power for 22 hours.

      Delete
    3. I’m too old to be freezing. Folks will think I’m already dead.

      Delete
    4. Long time no hearing from you Mr. RedEyeMule but glad you checked in to let us know you are still alive and kicking! I know you live in Texas but I do not know what part of the state. At least your power came back on and hopefully will continue to stay on.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.