Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, July 11, 2022

Another thunderstorm / 108 degree day

Late Sunday afternoon we were surprised by a strong thunderstorm that like previous before it also came with thunder, lightning, and power surges. I disconnected my computer and TV and upped the thermostat so the A/C would not come on during the storm. I sat on the recliner waiting for the storm to pass and incredibly managed to fall asleep.

Thanks to the rain I did not get up early to water the trees and plants. I did not even get upset that the pesky mesquite pods had gotten wet before I was able to pick them up or that thanks to the storm I now had, even more, scattered around. It is highway robbery what they want to charge me to cut down five trees but I may just have to pay what they want if just only for my peace of mind.

It was so hot today that I had to put on one of dad's long sleeve cotton shirts over my tank top every time I went outside to keep from roasting in the sun. The poor cats were panting so I kept on taking them cool water.

This afternoon I noticed that the A/C was not turning off it just kept on going, so once again I turned up the thermostat to make it stop. It wasn't until the ten o'clock news that I found out that we had a high of 108 degrees today and no telling what the heat index might have been.



This summer the new break-out hot spots have been Pearsall and Cotulla, Texas. They have been beating out Laredo consistently.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



8 comments:

  1. What is a mosquito pod? Also Debbie died, that cancer finally got her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was refering to a "mesquite pod" from our horrible mesquite trees that I always have to rake.

      Now I know who you are, I had you mistaken for another person. I am sorry to hear that Debi passed away, I have often wondered what became of her...may she rest in peace.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully you can stay Safe even if you have to Enjoy your day before it gets too hot.
    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These infernal temperatures can certainly become lethal so I have to begin my day early even though I am not a morning person.

      Delete
  3. So glad the thunderstorm didn't do anything worse than get things wet, and that you got some sleep in, regardless!!! Not a happy day here either yesterday, and there was no thunderstorm to bring any relief...well, not true, there were little ones, so we actually ended up having a high of 100. Silly me - it felt better when I went out on the porch. Well, I guess it's just what you get used to, and today was better. Here's hoping we all get a break soon......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid for a minute that we might have hail...glad that did not come to pass. Read on the "830 Times" webpage (our online newspaper) that South Del Rio lost power that afternoon but does not go into detail (it never does).

      I unsuccessfully try to remember how I put up with this heat in my youth as we did not have central A/C just a swamp cooler and a window unit we turned on at night.

      Delete
  4. 110 yesterday. Once it reaches high 90's I close all the blinds. My vents are in the floor so I bought some fans that sit on the floor and placed them near the vents and they keep the house cooler. I have been keeping my A/C on 81 during the day unless like yesterday I put on 79, at night I put it down to 77 with a fan running can't sleep when it's warm. Is it almost WINTER???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday (Tuesday) we had a repeat of 108 degrees. It was 95 degrees at 10:20 p.m.

      I wish it was winter already as well :-(

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.