Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, July 9, 2022

Ran errands all over town

It is such a pain to have to pick up our mail in one post office and then drive to the other one across town just to mail payments because they have a way of getting lost if I don't. The heat has been unrelenting even at 6:40 a.m. it is way too warm and muggy and I have to tend to the cats and the plants. Thursday time got away from me so I postponed my errands, deciding to go early Friday morning but not so early because HEB Drive-thru Pharmacy does not open until 8:00 a.m.


Even though there was only this car in front of me it took a good 8 minutes to make it to the window.  It would have been faster to have gone inside but I knew if I did, I would get distracted and I was on a mission.

The gas pumps are to the right of the pharmacy and show the price for unleaded gasoline to be $4.169 a gallon, and $4.989 for Diesel. I apologize because my camera does not like this pixeled HEB sign and it is hard to determine the price after I snap the picture.


Found a new place to buy ice now that Dollar Tree has upped their price for an 8-pound bag to $1.25. Golden Chick has a much better option for a 20 lbs bag for only $1.69 and is also available as of 8:00 a.m.


Went to my regular bank and being that it was early I beat the Friday crowd...it does not happen very often! Loaded up on quarters for the car wash and laundromat.

Stopped at another store where I had not seen a sign that it was going out of business until this week, I will write a separate blog about it in the coming days.

Have I mentioned how disappointed I am to have joined a local credit union?  It is the largest in town but that does not make it the best. The waiting times are long, they do not explain things correctly, and the customer service rep was doubling up as a receptionist today.  

They want you to sign up for their App and they push e-statements. I don't do apps I prefer a webpage and after I feel comfortable with it then we can talk about e-statements. I had no idea how much they had charged me for their checks...found out it was too much...I could have ordered them on my own from a private vendor like I do for my other bank. When I asked for a check register and a checkbook cover...she told me those were extra and would have to be ordered separately. My bank gives them to me FREE!

I was there for a good 30 minutes when I came out I took this picture showing that at 10:22 a.m. it was already 86 degrees.


Midnight (my car) had not had a bath in I don't know how long so I broke open my roll of quarters. There were lots of people washing their cars.


I lucked out as they had replaced their wands and it had plenty of pressure making it easier to wash the dirt off.


A clean Midnight...


Stripes now 7-Eleven is not far away so purchased some lunch plates that have now gone up to $6.49 each. I wanted a Chile Relleno but they had not started making them yet. I don't know if Jeelbare still reads this blog or not but I took this picture just for him.


Today Saturday, July 9th has been hot all over the State of Texas. 



Temperatures are not expected to come down anytime soon. Today's Aunty Acid is a repeat of one I posted last year but it is very fitting for this day!

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid


7 comments:

  1. Strange how we all try to get our errands done before the heat builds in the Summer but wait for it to build in the Winter.
    Lots of errands and no wasting time.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your AC.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summers in Del Rio are unforgiving and you have to take care of business early in the morning. However, our winters are mild with the freak exception of the Great Texas Freeze of February 2021.

      Delete
  2. I'm watching the grid. ERCOT actually has a site where you can watch how it's doing in real time. You have to dig a bit, QUITE a bit, to find some numbers to go with their graphs, but I did that. So now I know. So far, so good. With the grid. I am in summer doldrums. Doing like you. And actually, I washed my car for the first time in about a year yesterday. Haha. It does sit under a carport, but boy was it dusty. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know I am not good at doing research. I can't even find the Covid numbers for the county which are usually inaccurate now that most people test at home and seldom report it to the appropriate health authorities.

      I figure if the grid is going to go down there is nothing I can do about it and watching it would only add to my stress level and high blood pressure.

      Our cars (except for dad's old car) sit in a garage/carport and are just caked in dust but since they don't run I can not take them to the car wash and I am too lazy to hand wash them :-(

      Delete
    2. I once heard an antiques preservation expert say that dust can actually act as a preservative. You could go with that opinion and not worry about it anymore.

      Delete
  3. You know I posted that I leave my house before 7 am to go shopping the only time it is 8 is when the pharmacy opens at 8 am but I ready at the counter LOL. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate SUMMER!!!
    Yes Auntie Acid I would love to hug that man myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you go early as your temperatures run much higher than ours. Both HEB and Walmart open at 6:00 a.m. but I have to wait until there is daylight as I have poor night vision.

      I hate summer as well that is why I am following very closely where the vandwellers go to escape the heat before finally making it back to Flagstaff, AZ. for the winter.

      Either I am getting too old, or the heat keeps getting worse with each passing year.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.