Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, July 28, 2022

Two long established businesses close their doors in Del Rio

Earlier this month I noticed a "Going Out of Business" banner as I drove down our main drag Veterans Blvd. For those that are not familiar with Del Rio, this was the former location of the second HEB store after Little HEB clearly became too small for the fast-growing population and before they built their large flagship store.


There are two businesses at this location and I was not sure which one was the affected one but as soon as I drove into the parking lot it became clear.


Unfortunately, it was Fallas, a store where I buy my camping clothes...you might recall my $5.00 blue jean duster as well as two of my $5.00 Terlingua coats. They sell surplus, factory irregulars, and overstock items from other vendors and manufacturers. I have purchased several pet beds for my cats at discount prices. This was the first store to bring Betty Boop merchandise to Del Rio of which I am a huge fan.




I was surprised they had so much inventory. One of their employees told me that all their Texas stores were closing and they had sent their merchandise to their Border Stores which are their top sellers.


They were liquidating everything including their clothing racks, fixtures, and equipment.


I will miss this store in particular during Chili Cook-off time when I could purchase clothing items for a mere $1.99 or less.



We are also saying goodbye to our local Sears store. This is the only store that will deliver an appliance and bring it into your home. When we bought our last refrigerator we found a better price at Home Depot but the deal breaker was that they would only deliver it to your door...you had to bring it in yourself...yeah, right with my bad back! 😒

Both stores will be missed by both Del Rioans as well as Ciudad Acuña residents.

Good night. May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid




4 comments:

  1. It's always the good stores that close. Now the stores they were getting their stock from will have to have their own sales but the prices will never be as good.
    You might have to plan ahead and shop now for later.
    That must have been one of the last Sears stores still operating in the US. All the ones in Canada are closed.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly miss both stores even though I shopped more at Fallas.

      You posed a good question so I Googled to see how many Sears stores are still left in the USA and there are six.

      Delete
  2. Fallas, stores closed here a few years ago they took over another store Factory 2 U so someone bought it out and that was called Factory 2 u again, I think it is still open but they sell some really terrible stuff. Sears here in Tucson are gone since 2018. I never heard about Home Depot not delivering into the house, well I haven't shopped in there in years for something to be delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall that Fallas, Factory 2 U, and Anna's Linens were at one time-related. I believe Fallas bought them out when they filed for bankruptcy and took over their storefronts but as Fallas.

      When we bought our last washing machine I had to go talk to the store manager at Home Depot so he could authorize his delivery guy to place it not on the sidewalk but on the back patio (Mom has a huge yard so it was no problem if he drove the truck in). My parents had to move the connections outside after a hose busted and flooded the laundry room and kitchen.

      I do not know where our neighbors Mr. and Mrs. Joe bought their refrigerator after they remodeled their house but it sat in their front yard all day until he came home and got his noisy neighbor and his worthless stepson to bring it in. Maybe it is just a Del Rio store policy?

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.