Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Hot kitchen / Low flow at San Felipe Creek

First thing yesterday (Tuesday) even though they had not opened yet, I called the A/C company where I purchased the unit so they could come to check it out. The owner's wife would later call me back only to inform me that they could not get to me until Friday and would put me on the list...I was 53rd!

She went over some things I could do in the meantime to determine if it was the compressor or the blower? She said if it was the compressor it would take longer to fix as they would have to order it. One of her suggestions was to turn off the unit for 6 HOURS!!! Is this lady crazy? Yesterday we had another 108-degree day.


Thanks to YouTube and the local news (from San Antonio) found out it was perfectly fine if it does not shut off after the temperature outside is 20 degrees higher. YouTube had some suggestions like washing down the unit but our unit is on the roof and I suffer from vertigo so that was a no-go.

I was very worried about the kitchen since that was a later addition and the A/C does not cool as well there. It needs a small a/c or a mini-split that was not yet invented when the kitchen was added. This was the temperature in the kitchen even though I had three windows open that face north, south, and east. Where were the wind gusts when you needed them?


My main concern was the refrigerator breaking down trying to keep the contents cool when it was 104 degrees in the kitchen. Thankfully, I am the proud owner of ice chests of all sizes which I refer to as "My Terlingua Boys". Got out all the things I needed from the fridge. Good thing I keep frozen water bottles so did not even have to go buy ice.

This morning the temperature had come down to 80 degrees so I closed all the windows placed aluminum foil on them and opened the air vents.


The "830 Times" website said that if needed they would open the Del Rio Civic Center as a cooling center but I do not know if they did. Everyone in Del Rio knows that our unofficial cooling center is the Val Verde County Library where you need a light jacket in the summer. I needed to make copies this morning but there were a lot of cars there so I passed. I do believe some people might have been there for the cold A/C.


Drove by San Felipe Lions Park to see how the drought was affecting the flow of San Felipe Creek.




The flow has definitively been slowed...




Little HEB is close by so went to stock up on salads, bread, ham, and milk as there is no chance of me warming up anything in the kitchen.






I don't usually drink sodas but I saw this was Caffeine Free, was on sale for $1.00 so decided to give it a try.


Gasoline was selling for $4.089 for regular unleaded and $4.919 for diesel at Walmart.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid


4 comments:

  1. This heat is affecting everyone. Hopefully you are keeping comfortable.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat is affecting many states in the south. ERCOT who manages our power grid in Texas states that we are breaking usage levels daily. They are the ones responsible for the power outages we suffered during the Texas Freeze of February 2021...hope the grid holds up!

      Delete
  2. If you don't have a kitchen door to close it off from the the A/C part of the house do not open windows that will put an even bigger strain on your unit. Like I mentioned in your previous post I use box fans, but if your vents are above use fans on stands to help push the air around. I feel for you with this horrible heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a kitchen door that I closed off from the rest of the air-conditioned house. I closed both the door and the kitchen vents and then opened the windows.

      I did read what you said about you using fans for air circulation but we do not have any fans...unfortunately, all of mine are in Houston.

      After running around today I was too tired to make it to Ollie's or Walmart to check out their fan prices. Just hope the grid does not go down or we will be screwed.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.