Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Mesquite Pods

Hi guys!  Had not been able to post since I have been busy raking and picking up the hundreds and hundreds of mesquite pods in Mom’s yard.  Seems that as soon as I think I am done…more fall and I have to start all over.


Got a funny e-mail from Ariana? Sorry if I messed up your name I am working from memory and you all know how bad mine is.  She was wondering if I was honeymooning with Charlie, jajajajajaja :D



I have been getting up at 6:30 a.m. to beat the heat and wacking weeds right and left.  I made the mistake of trimming two pecan trees and killed them in the process.  Who knew pecan trees should not be pruned in August?  I felt bad so I have been giving them plenty of water hoping they come back.



With that experience under my hat but knowing fully well it would not work on those horrible mesquite trees, I took to the task of pruning them as well hoping they would die!  Have I mentioned how much I detest mesquite trees? 


Did you know mesquite trees ooze reddish brown sap when you prune them?  They made my pruners sticky and NO they have not died off (sad face).

When the water meter sprung a leak it made the weeds on the street side of the fence grow so with weed eater in hand I decided to rectify that.  I did such a good job, I decided to do the whole fence.  Hopefully with the lack of rain and the temperature in the 100’s it wont soon grow back.


Before

AFTER
Mother has lots of trees spread over three lots and it takes me about an hour and a half to water them all.  I have been going out after the evening news when most of the neighbors are in bed or at least inside their house and watering her trees and plants.  By the time I come in, I take a shower and go to bed…too tired to go online.

I have been leaving for Houston since this past Monday but something always comes up.  As a matter of fact I was supposed to be on my way today, hopefully I will be able to leave soon.  I can only imagine the jungle I am going to find when I get there :-(

8 comments:

  1. Why don't you come by my place, I have lots of cutting and trimming to do (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get some stump killer for the mesquites, cut them off close to the ground and drill holes in the stumps. Pour the stump killer in the drilled holes and that should do them in. Then of course grub them up below ground and fill the holes with dirt to keep the stumps from getting revenge by tripping you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave I do not know have nor do I know how to use a chain saw. With my luck I would cut the darn tree and it would fall on me!

      I don't have nor know how to use a drill either :-(

      Delete
  3. Heck, cut around it with a hand saw,,cut thru the bark. And,,gotta ask,,why are you raking up the seed pods? And,,where is Walter? Any news on him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cut with a hand saw? That is just too much trouble!

      If you do not pick up the pods they will germinate and create even more horrible mesquite trees.

      Update on Walter on tonights post.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.