Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Why no Beer Coupons?

It is no secret to my readers or to old time bloggers whose blogs are a daily read for me that I enjoy a good bargain and if it involves clipping coupons…well I will clip those too!

For a good while now I have been wondering why I have never seen any beer coupons in all the years that I have been clipping them (which are considerable).  I do not smoke but I remember clipping coupons for my friends who do for two or three dollars off of a carton of cigarettes.

I try not to be judgmental but if I had to choose the lesser of two evils I think I would rather drink beer, but then again that is only my opinion and has no bearing on what other people do with their lives…that is not the purpose of this post or any past or future post.

What I want to know is why I have never seen any beer coupons?  Anyone have an idea?  I bring this up because as you know Labor Day weekend is right around the corner and it is the last holiday before the Chili Cook-off when typically beer goes on special and I tend to stack up specifically for this event.

These past couple of years beer prices have been through the roof and even after the barley shortage of a couple of years back, they have never gone back down in prices.  Instead they have tried to fool us by bringing out 18 and 20 can packages for what we used to pay for a 24 pack…I don’t like that!!!

I guess greedy beer companies know that us beer drinkers are going to pay for their product anyway so they make no effort to bring prices down and instead offer innovations like the mountains in a particular beer brand turning blue so the consumer knows that it is cold!  Excuse me…but has that ever been a problem that a beer drinker even a very drunk one is not going to be able to tell if their beer is cold enough?

Tip to first time Terlingua Chili Cook-off goers…buy your beer this Labor Day weekend holiday when it is on special…beer prices in the desert will sober you up real fast, it is bad enough what you will have to pay to ice it down!

Want to welcome Deb C. to the blog roll. Thank you for your readership, it is very much appreciated!

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

11 comments:

  1. You talk'n bout "greedy beer companies know that us beer drinkers are going to pay for their product anyway", kind of reminds me on the greedy oil companys. Just struck me kind of funny.

    Now bout them coupons.....the way I see it "us beer drinkers are going to pay for their product anyway"....coupons or not. But they do provide very good discounts....probly what you would expect from a coupon. Paperwork dear one, paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should know all about greedy oil companies after all I worked for an oil company for 25 years.

      Beer companies do not offer the good discounts they used to years back. I still remember paying $12.88 for a Miller High Life 30 pack...no chance I will ever find a bargain price like that anymore!

      Delete
  2. thank you very much for your post filled with sanity and good humor. I have been a little crazy lately and reading some common sense helps. Bet you didn't know you play a intricate part in my mental health therapy? did ya? thanks. the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Rat if I play an intricate part of your mental therapy...then I think you are in trouble!

      Always good to hear from you :)

      Delete
  3. Some kind of beer is usually on sale in bigger places and bigger stores, but I don't think the remaining stores down here know what on Sale, discount or coupons are. I do think I've seen beer coupons somewhere back in my past life though. I haven't given it much thought though. Beer has expiration dates like all other canned stuff, but I guess its usually sold before that happens?

    I usually stock up on everything before the chili cook off not because its on sale, but because I don't want to have to drive south and put up with the DPS, Sheriff's deputies and all the other heat down there. Maybe one of these days I'll make it to a cook off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been an avid coupon clipper for a long long time but I do not recall ever having seen some for beer. They have coupons for everything else from adult diapers to hair dye...so why not beer?

      I need to do a post for first time goers warning them about the heat. After Wednesday I do not leave the CASI campgrounds for that exact same reason.

      You can come visit before Wednesday without a fee. They start charging on Wednesday $30.00 but in comparison to what they charge at Burningman, the cook-off is a real bargain!

      Delete
  4. Beer coupons are illegal in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not know if beer coupons are illegal in Texas or not. I do know that cigarrete coupons (that I do remember clipping) have dissappeared as well.

      Maybe they both have become illegal as has their advertisement(well at least for cigarretes).

      Delete
    2. 16 TAC 45.101(b) prohibits coupons or rebates for the purchase or discount of an alcoholic beverage. Further, 108.02 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code prohibits the advertisement of alcohol by flyer distributed on a public street.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.