Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

A foggy, gray, gloomy, humid and HOT day!

This morning it was foggy, gray, gloomy and humid. In the afternoon the sun came out and the temperatures shot up. We had a low of 71 a high of 90 with a heat index of 99 degrees. Tomorrow should be about the same but then rain and a cool front will move in by Thursday.

The weeds are out of control and it seems the baby mesquites have grown two to three feet just since last week.

Weeds :-(

Here are some pictures from April 1st when I set up my Terlingua table and chair grabbed my binoculars and cordless phone as I watched all these people drive-by that should have been hunkering down in their homes.

The picture is not crooked...the ground is unleveled.
Paquito felt the need to join me.

With all this rain and more on the way, I can only imagine how much they will grow.  I was talking to my best friend as well as spying on this school bus (the reason for the binoculars). They come by early to hand out breakfast and at noon with lunch for the school children in the neighborhood.

See how much the pesky mesquites have grown

The first week they did not have as many people as they do now...the need is great in this area.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



6 comments:

  1. At least the mesquites shrubs will give you some privacy and help change the Carbon Dioxide to Oxygen.
    Paquito felt secure sitting by you.
    Aunty Acid has it right today.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Isolation.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the mesquite will provide more privacy and help keep stray dogs out. Of all my cats Paquito is the one that follows me the most and I welcomed his company in case a snake made its presence known...too bad he fell asleep soon after I took this picture.

      Delete
  2. Your command post with guard cat is hilarious. Who says there is no entertainment these days?
    It is so terribly sad to think of how many people, especially children, who are going hungry. I am glad the bus drops off some meals for them. I also wonder if many children are not keeping up their schoolwork and will fall too far behind to catch up.
    You may need to get a machete to hack your way out of there before long. It is amazing how fast mesquite can grow even in a drought.
    Aunty Acid is so right. I am happy to be here but now have to figure out how to do a couple of loads of laundry. I had planned to wash by hand but heavy winter clothes aren't easy to manage. Friend Lilly would do it but I hate asking for favors when she is already so generous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you made me laugh..."your command post with guard cat"...jajajaja!

      Those darn mesquites do not need water that is why they are prevalent in the desert. If they get even a little water they grow like crazy and this is our rainy season.

      This part of the county has many lower-income households. I do not know if they even have access to the internet or if they have computers at home to keep up with their homework.

      My heavy winter clothes and blankets will have to wait until this is over. The good thing is we have lots of towels and sheets to get us through.

      Lilly sounds like a wonderful person to have as a friend.

      Delete
  3. We had more terrible wind today I think this was the worst day yet. They claim the wind will stop over night, and out temps will start to drop again which is fine with me.

    Love you station and your guard cat. At least they are delivering the food here they wait at the door for the kids or whom ever to run up and get there bags of food. So happy they are feeding these kids or some would go hungry for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your wind and bad weather are heading this way and will arrive tomorrow to once again lower our temperatures and that is alright by me as I have not turned on the A/C yet.

      Set up my command post in the shade and where there were fewer weeds that was a week ago so no telling how high the weeds are now.

      I read that the school buses are set up at different locations around the city and county but to get the breakfast and lunches the parents have to drive up with their children.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.