Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Prescriptions / Mail pick-up / Beer and Comfort Food Panic Buying

I needed to go pick up my medications as I waited until the last minute last month just before they were going to return them to their stock.  H-E-B has a drive-up pharmacy window and even though it is always busy decided that it was the best route in these trying times.


Drove around the front of the store and while there were a lot of cars in the parking lot the line was not that long. The city recently revised the number of people that can be inside the store from 50 to 75 at a time...the same holds true for Walmart.

I had NO intention of going inside the store so headed to the post office to pick up the mail. Unlike the last time, I was here my P.O. Box was full so I was glad I came.

It was already close to 4:00 p.m. and I really did not need anything as I am good as far as food goes for a while.  Drove by "little HEB" just out of curiosity and saw that the line was not that long so thought...Beer and Comfort Food Panic Buying!


 It took 6 minutes to get inside the store and it went by fast as I was taking pictures.






As soon as I entered the store I saw a bargain I could not pass up a package of carrots for .12 cents. So, of course, I had to buy a five-pound bag of potatoes to go with it.


This time they had an ample supply of eggs but since I do not know how to cook...I boiled the ones I had and used them on my salads.

A carton consisting of less than 30 eggs
Limit 2 per transaction


Cartons consisting of 30 or more eggs
Limit 1 per transaction

They had toilet paper and paper towels considering it was late in the day



They smartly had plenty of toilet paper but in another aisle that apparently went unnoticed by the public. I have plenty so I passed.


The last time I was here they did not have a limit on canned meats but today they did. I bought some ravioli, chili, diced tomatoes and a can of tuna.


They had plenty of water but I did not need any.


Then headed to the beer aisle and bought the last 30-pack of Natural Light in the cooler along with a 15-pack. It is cheaper to buy a 30-pack as it only costs $16.98 versus two 15-packs ($9.48 x 2) for $18.96Added a 16 oz six-pack and a box of Franzia Cabernet Sauvignon as an extra measure in case the government pulls a fast one on us as the Mexican government did on its citizens by declaring beer brewing as a "non-essential" business and shut them down triggering beer panic buying in Mexico...I did a post on this recently.


I also bought cookies, pre-packaged salads, chips, yogurt, bananas, strawberries, raisins, and cat food for my boys and Katie.


The going price for regular unleaded gasoline at HEB was $1.759 per gallon.

We had a low of 65 a high of 91 with a heat index of 96 degrees.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was $2.36 here in Washington state last week.

      Delete
    2. Wow, Bigfoot that is a GREAT price!

      Delete
    3. Rob, you always manage to travel to areas with high gasoline prices.

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to stock up on the essentials without too much of a problem.
    Strange that the ordinance is allowing more people in the store when the scientist are still saying to practice Social Distancing. The more people = less distance.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Isolation.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The size of the store counts too.

      Delete
    2. The online edition of our local newspaper will only let me read the first paragraph if I want to read more I have to pay. I presume either HEB and Walmart thought they could fit more customers in their stores, the citizens complained about the long lines or a combination of both.

      HEB and Super Walmart are very large stores. Little HEB is small.

      Delete
  3. That was a heck of deal on carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you were able to get your prescriptions and do some stocking up. I think we will be happy on down the road that we squirreled away all we could. Plus I think products will be much more expensive as we go along.
    I think you are correct about this going on for much longer than a couple of months. So many will gather for Easter and send the numbers to the moon again. I think they should lock all the religious idiots who gather into their churches and just not let them out for three or four weeks. Cure that problem.
    Stay safe and keep us posted on Command Central news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitively think prices will be more expensive in the future plus it never hurts to have a little food stashed away for a rainy day.

      Don't even get me started on those religious fanatic ministers who are defying local quarantine mandates and the number of people who can safely be in one location at a time (10 people in my locality). These idiots are everywhere and are endangering the lives of their congregation.

      Command Central has been put on hold until I can clear some weeds. We are expecting strong storms this evening and rains this weekend.

      Delete
  5. Ha. Glad you were able to stock up. I haven't been inside a store in so long (well, OK only three weeks) that I've forgotten what they look like. Curbside pickup available in my little town, but a week out for getting it. I DID do Whataburger pickup with online ordering today. Cool. But without green chiles. Not so cool. So thanks for your photos of what the grocery store looks like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me smile when you mention you have not been inside of a store in so long...though it feels like we have been quarantining at home for months not weeks!

      My mouth is drooling at the thought of eating a Whataburger it has been a LONG time since I have had one...darn my high cholesterol :-(

      Delete
  6. You sure found some great bargains on your quick shopping and all good things.
    You know Auntie Acid is right on LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, I enjoy finding bargains I was not even looking for :-)
      I loved this particular Aunty Acid it certainly applies to many hoarders out there.

      Delete
  7. I buy beer by the case and it is about time to get another one! I also have scotch as well as gin. My lifelong friend has a birthday on May 2nd, so we have a plan to talk long distance and drink martinis. She makes a dynamite martini and I hope mine will be ok. With all the alcoholic beverages I don't really have much desire to drink, so now and then I have a beer. I love wine but it's too sociable a drink to imbibe in while alone, so I'm waiting for my daughter to join me for Moscato. We've both been isolating for the past 3 weeks and I sure hope to see her soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will your store deliver beer? I wish I liked liquor but it is much too strong for my system. While I like wine (weighs less as I have a bad back) my favorite is beer :D

      I hope you have a great long-distance birthday celebration with your lifelong friend and that you get to see your daughter soon.

      Delete
  8. Have a happy Easter MsBelinda. I restocked on beer and prune juice. I’m good now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a Happy Easter as well RedEyeMule. Glad you were able to restock.

      Delete
  9. I honestly don't know what the limit of people is at the HEB in Lytle, TX, but I did have to stand in line for upwards of five minutes. I h ave to say, inside I bet it was actually less than 50 people. HEB really has their act together and I think have done a great job in all this mess.

    The few times I've been recently, everything is stocked up but the toilet paper. I honestly haven't seen TP in a store since this whole thing started. Thankfully, my wife has always been a stockpiler of the stuff, and I think we could go another month or so without concern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you Dave...both of our HEB's have done an exemplary job handling this pandemic.

      While I have to go to the main HEB to get my medications I prefer to shop at the smaller one and was surprised that they had so much toilet paper in stock that late in the day.

      I am like your wife I stockpile on paper goods something I have always done as in my prior life in Houston, Target encouraged me to do so with their $5.00 store cards for multiple purchases.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.