Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Hail Storm

The weather forecasters have been saying we were going to have heavy rains. strong winds, and the possibility of hail since Thursday but it did not happen until late this afternoon.

I had fed the boys and forced them to remain in the mudroom and since both overate they soon fell asleep. I sat down to watch the 5:00 p.m. news. I was so tired I soon fell asleep until I was awakened by a very loud noise as if someone had thrown a rock or heavy object against the wall.

It happened again so I went to check on the boys. Paquito was sound asleep but Nico looked frightened and ran to the screen door wanting to be let in. I opened the door and he rushed in. Then all hell broke loose as the roof, windows, and walls were pelleted by the hail. It even woke and startled Paquito but he did not seem frightened.

I got away from the windows though there was no doubt in my mind we were right in the middle of a hail storm. The first thing that crossed my mind was...how am I going to fix the window panes if they get broken?

The sound was terrible and I could see the neighbor across the street moving his truck...are you kidding me?  He could have gotten hit in the head by one!  This went on for what seemed like forever but it was probably just for about four minutes.





When it calmed down I opened the front door to look outside and there was a car who had parked across the street by the neighbor's fence and tree hoping to seek shelter for his vehicle? I grabbed the phone and took a picture but it did not come out as the phone is terrible when it comes to night or even day photographs.





Now the cats wanted to go outside to go explore when they usually beg to come inside! One by one the neighbors started to come out with their flashlights to inspect the damage. I grabbed my broom and began to sweep away all the leaves and small branches the hail knocked down and was blocking the path to the front door.





Paquito was licking the hail balls!  It was dark...darker than usual...that is when I looked up at the security light and saw that the lid was about to fall off and Nico just happened to be under it as he was exploring the area by the pomegranate tree where he and the other cats hide and take naps.


I went to check on dad's old car as it is the only vehicle that is not in the garage/carport area but it was too dark. I am not worried though as it is a very solid vehicle and this is not its first rodeo. Once again the picture I took did not come out clear.

I am having a heck of a time making this post as either Blogger or a program that I decided not to download left me some malware or a worm. The photos are not loading properly either and I only have a few minutes before the date changes as my blog is set to Pacific time.

We had a low of 65 and a high of 86 degrees. We are supposed to receive strong storms in a couple of hours.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



12 comments:

  1. Those pieces of Hail could have been deadly. Glad you are Safe and hopefully you didn't suffer too much property damage.
    Be Safe and Enjoy Easter.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hail we received in this part of the county is "mild" in comparison to what the northern part of the city got.

      Delete
  2. I hope that come daylight things are all right for you on the Easter morn!

    A Long ass year indeed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider myself lucky because we only had minimal damage.

      Delete
  3. I have never experienced anything like that, and hope it isn't a sign of what is to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This part of Texas is not a stranger to hail. Unfortunately, we have seen it before and even worst. The car was six months old when it got pelted pretty good and we didn't even have a warning or I would have put it in the garage.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I am glad you and your cats are okay. I saw several videos on Twitter from Del Rio showing the hail storm and the hail stones were the size of baseballs and larger!
    We have had some hail storms here in the past and I have seen hail stones the size you show. I was in my truck for the last one and thought the windshield would break. It's scary!
    I do think the severe weather is going to a new level and will get worse as we go along. I keep a big roll of heavy plastic, staples and staple gun and duct tape at hand, just in case. Also have a big box of 3ml contractor's bags. At least it would be a temporary fix and keep the weather and critters out until I could get repairs.
    Hope you are having a nice Easter. I made meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans and glazed carrots. Apple crisp for dessert. Best of all is great leftovers for tomorrow so I won't have to cook.
    We had snow. Poor Easter Bunny had to wear his MukLuks. Stay safe, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night on the 10:00 p.m. news I saw a bunch of pictures that Del Rioans sent to the TV stations in San Antonio. One had a piece of hail next to a softball and another a baseball...those things were huge! We were lucky by comparison.

      It is only in times like this that I wish I was into social media but then I get over it and realize I am much better off being in the dark.

      Sounds like you made a delicious dinner. Have to admit I had to Google---> MukLuks...had no idea what it was :)

      Delete
  5. When there is big hail, I always feel as if GOD (I'm not a traditional believer) is coming to get me. I did have my kitchen window busted one time. But I'm still here. I'm glad you are too. And the cats. And hope no big stuff followed...maybe the Weather tired itself out. I hope so.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an atheist so those thoughts never crossed my mind. I was only concerned with the windows being busted and water coming in but I decided I have enough cardboard boxes that I could cut a few to size and then duck tape them to the broken window panes.

      With the threat of severe storms, I could not go to sleep but thankfully those rains never materialized.

      Delete
  6. That is some crazy looking hail. Before read the post and only saw the hail I thought maybe it had rained into some small containers and froze. That must have very loud. Hope you didn't have any damage.
    Woke up to 36 degrees this morning, of course I just had the furnace turned off last week, so happy for my electric heaters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, it was only after I uploaded the photos that I realized that the hail looked like it came from a frozen small gelatine container. It was much too hot yesterday for anything to freeze I was surprised the temperatures did not go down after the storm and today was another warm day.

      Isn't 36 degrees cold for this time of year in your area? Enjoy because the heat will be upon us soon.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.