Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Trip to the post office / grocery run / bare shelves

Yesterday Wednesday, April 1st on Day 18th of my self-isolation and April Fools Day at that I had no other choice but to drive to the post office to pick-up my mail. Coronavirus or not bills do not stop.

I went early in the morning to avoid the crowds. As I passed HEB on the way there I pulled into the parking lot to take a picture of the falling gasoline prices but I forgot my cellphone. The parking lot was full and there was a long line wrapped around the store. Everyone was keeping their distance and there appeared to be red markers so you knew where you had to stand.

At the post office, there was only one other person and he was reading his mail as he sat in his truck. I was surprised I did not have as much mail as I thought I would but then again bills arrive in the early and not the latter part of the month.

I have consumed two and a half weeks of my grocery stash so I gave careful thought as to whether or not I wanted to wait in line as there is no assurance how long this is going to last and my goal is to try to have a six month supply on hand...so I headed to "little HEB".

There was also a line wrapped around the store but this is a small store and with the six feet of separation it made it look longer. I was surprised most people were wearing masks and had brought with them their own cleaning stash much like myself. That is a good sign that at least my little town is taking this seriously.

They did not have containers of pre-washed packaged salad or spinach so bought lettuce instead.  Stocked up on serranos, garlic, onions, and bananas. I arrived at the store at 8:10 a.m. and it took about 10 minutes to be let in. The people who were exiting the store were mostly buying water, large bags of dog food, sodas, eggs, and paper products (there was a limit of 1) so either they bought out the meat and chicken section in those twenty minutes or their shipment had not arrived.

Equally bare was the milk and egg section. I still have a dozen eggs I bought the last time I was here two and a half weeks ago. They had toilet paper and paper towels and even though I have enough, for the time being, I bought a package of toilet paper just in case. Apart from that, I loaded up on canned goods.

I have not been sleeping well but yesterday I felt like I had a heavyweight lifted off my shoulders after picking up my correspondence and mailing a payment. I slept great last night.

We had a low of 70 this morning with a high of 84 and a heat index of 89 degrees.

Good night. May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day


12 comments:

  1. I think you were wise to make a run and stock up a bit more. I read a helpful hint about eggs..turn them fat side up to keep them fresh longer.
    I spoke with my neighbor who works at Safeway and things are looking from. No flour,sugar, oil, baking supplies,and many more things not there and not coming. I have hired a lady to make a run for me tomorrow and see if I can't get a few more things to add to my stash.
    She says a few people are wearing masks. Of course, they aren't the ones that stop the virus. Few wear gloves.
    We had more snow today. Looks like more on the way. Oh the joy...:(

    Really like Auntie Acid.
    I have been unable to catch my radio show until today. Think that big earthquake damaged the towers. I was glad to call in and also to hear the show to see how they are doing. It is not good in Louisiana.
    Haven't listened to the idiot in the white house more than I can help. We are so screwed.
    Stay safe, my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a very good decision on your part to hire someone to do your shopping the less exposure the better. A clerk that works at Dollar Tree told me to shop on Saturday mornings since their clients from Mexico expected to find it well stocked. Even with the border closed I think that still holds true not just for Dollar Tree but for the other stores that still remain open.

      With any luck this might also be your last snow of the season? I had meant to ask if the earthquake had caused any damage in your area.

      I no longer listen to the liar-in-chief just catch clips of his shenanigans on my nightly cable news shows which tonight Rachel Maddow was outstanding hope to catch the repeat tomorrow... it was that good!

      Be well my friend.

      Delete
  2. things are looking grim...dang phone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understood what you were trying to say. I make typos all the time but I can't blame my phone for mine. BTW thank you for the egg tip will try it tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Glad you got some supplies in and VERY glad to hear you've seen some evidence people are taking it seriously. Currently, (even though as an old person, I've been doing it for more than two weeks) I am in self isolation as I was briefly in my neighborhood grocery where an employee tested positive. (I had on gloves and wiped down what I brought home as a matter of habit.) The grocery was closed for one day for serious cleaning.
    No clue what they do, but it is now open. Meanwhile, health department has said all those who were in on the 3 days of concern were to stay inside for 2 weeks. About what I would be doing anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How scary to have been in the store when that employee tested positive, a situation that I believe will be repeating itself in many towns in the nation.

      Stay positive and I am glad you are sheltering-in-place.

      Delete
  4. I wonder what to do about mail. I just automatically reach into the mailbox and pull out the bills and advertisements. I could use disposable gloves, but then would I have to wait 3 yrs to open anything? I haven't become that paranoid yet, but maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely they spray the mail at the post office for their own protection? When all this is over I will have to ask our neighbor who works at the post office.

      Delete
  5. I did a large order from Walmart to be delivered tomorrow. I'll empty the bags outside as I wipe everything down and put it on the washer. Of course wearing gloves and using alcohol wipes that I made. When I get my mail I wipe it down with an alcohol wipe, at least using rags for this works ok since I can through them in the washer and reuse. There is a mask that can be made with out having to sew it. Take a bandana or something similar in size, fold each side to the middle then turn over and fold again to the middle, for the ear parts you can use hair ties or cut off the tops of old knee high or ankle stockings or socks.pull each end threw the band and just fold left over material in to the mask it is thicker than most face masks so it will hold back more germ. If you have pantie liners or sanitery napkins you can add that to the inside of the mask. Hope this makes sense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are fortunate to live in a big town that does home delivery. We only have curve side pick-up at HEB, Walmart and CVS. Not complaining it is better than having nothing.

      I watch so many channels so I can not say with any accuracy in which one I saw a guy making a face mask using socks and a sanitary napkin. It never occured to me that it would make a great filter until I saw that. Thank you for your input I am sure other readers could find it useful as well.

      Delete
  6. Just an update here on the grocery store business. The health department completed their investigation and said only those persons who had been at the deli should self quarantine. So they are staying on it and I am glad to hear it. I'm really pretty pleased with our little county health department. As for the mask business, even our Surgeon General has gone low tech with rubber bands and a table napkin or bandanna or something. He did leave out washing the thing after each time you wear it, or maybe he didn't. I didn't watch the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you this afternoon when an H-E-B in San Antonio announced that one of their employees had tested positive for COVIS-19.

      They had the store deep cleaned and sent workers who had close contact with that person home to self-quarantine.

      I did not watch the CoronaVirus Briefing today.

      I'm glad your county health department is an efficient one. That certainly brings peace of mind in these trying times.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.