Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Fireworks / Strawberry Moon / Hot Temperatures

I can not tell you how glad I am that the 4th of July celebrations are over and done with though I know tonight more firecrackers will be popped and just like it happened on New Year's they continued for almost a week...certainly hope that is not the case for this holiday.

If you are new to my blog I hope you do not think I am being unpatriotic...nothing could be further from the truth...I just dislike indiscriminate use of fireworks in Val Verde County when we are in a severe drought. Had to water all the weeds near the house both during the morning and in the afternoon.

Yesterday we had a high of 107 with a heat index of 110 degrees that worked favorably to postpone the celebration until it cooled down somewhat. It was not as bad as some previous years as I suppose people value buying groceries more than fireworks which I am told can be expensive. With that said the last ones were fired at 1:30 a.m.

If you were outside last night you no doubt caught the beautiful Strawberry Moon.  I tried photographing it but did not do it justice. If you missed it you can see it in all its glory this evening and tomorrow night.

I watched on television firework displays from different parts of the country while keeping a watchful eye on what was going on outside.

As I am writing this it is 109 degrees will wait a while before I go water the darn weeds for Fourth of July - Part 2 this evening.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



8 comments:

  1. I hope you have plenty of ice cream to cool you down after all those heat related chores.
    The neighbors shot off fireworks until well after midnight here. I hate fireworks and I do not consider them to be patriotic. I have PTSD and it is an ordeal to get through. There was less this year, but still it is like being shot at all over again. I haven't heard anymore tonight. So far, so good. I do hope they go easier on you tonight.
    We had about eight drops of rain today. I spent most of the day watering my lawn.
    The tomatoes are loving our little heat wave and have really been growing fast with the little tomatoes getting fatter. I'm as excited as a kid. The corn is doing well but the basil looks terrible.
    Glad you had some laughs from Vivian Swift's blog. She has about ten cats, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea you had served in the armed forces thank you for your service to our nation! It is understandable suffering from PTSD how traumatic the sound of popping fireworks would be.

      Thankfully Part 2 was not as bad and not on our street.

      I am glad to hear that your tomatoes are growing by leaps and bounds as well as the corn.

      I only saw two cats on the post I read but anyone that likes cats has a soft spot in my heart. Need to make her a daily read for her jabs at the liar-in-chief and perhaps some cat advise :)

      Delete
  2. I can't believe that in this drout and all the fires we have had and are still having they even allowed them to be sold. I heard there were stands everywhere selling those damn things. The dog nice door was going crazy, for once I felt sorry for the thing as it barks all the time, but this bark was different is was scared. My dog could care less about the noise and they at least stopped around 10:30.
    Same temps here and now we also have the humidity. Is it almost winter yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I am truly surprised that with all the fires you have been having they would allow their sale. Who makes these decisions in your state...the governor or local authorities?

      Poor dog like most animals the noise scares them. I brought in both Nico and Paquito but Nico wanted out. The noise does not seem to bother Paquito just like it does not bother your Fred.

      Hopefully, in three months we might see some relief?

      Delete
  3. Lots of people don't think about safety for others and would be wondering how their Fireworks started a Fire.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the AC.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad part is that three years ago they started a fire that did burn down a house on our street. I suppose that is ancient history to these inconsiderate folks.

      You and Kathy stay safe as well.

      Delete
  4. I have not served in the armed forces. I was shot at in Texas.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.