Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, July 2, 2020

Thunderstorms / In the dark for six hours

Why do I even pay attention to the weather forecasters? We had been warned of the possibilities of thunderstorms for days but only for the northwestern parts of the county where the rain usually falls by Lake Amistad.

The ten o'clock news last night was no different warning of the same. I do not usually go online until after midnight when I can make a post if I need to, answer e-mails and read the blogs I follow.

Around 3:10 a.m. it began thundering, we had strong winds, and then miraculously it began to rain... something much needed in this area as we are in an extreme drought. On the rare occasions this happens I will log out and turn off the power to the computer and modem but I was in the middle of answering an important e-mail.

At 3:38 a.m. the power went out and after a few choice words, I had no other alternative but to go to bed. Being that I am an insomniac and with all the thunder and lightning going on, there was no way I was going to fall into a deep slumber.

From past experience when we lose power it is usually for a while. I was more concerned about my ice cream melting even though I had plenty of frozen water and juice bottles in the freezer to keep it from doing so.

The good thing was that as soon as I heard the thundering I lowered the A/C just in case and it certainly helped especially since at midnight we were still registering a temperature of 90 degrees.

Power did not come back on again until 9:25 a.m. having left us without electricity for almost six hours! :-(

Today we had a low of 78 and a high of 103 degrees.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




12 comments:

  1. Back before we had Laptops we used a Battery Backup system on our desktops. I'm planning on using one on our Modem and the other for our CPAPs.
    The advantage is if you are in the middle of a long document, you will be able to save it and publish it later.
    Melatonin works great to get rid of the Insomnia.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the needed moisture.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather turn off my computer and modem and publish my blog or answer e-mails when power is restored. I am sure it would be expensive and would take up valuable space on my desk. Though I can see how it would be beneficial for Kathy and yourself to keep your CPAP's operating during a power outage.

      Delete
  2. I wish you could get better sleep. I feel so rotten on days after I've had trouble falling asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I did not suffer from insomnia as well, but it is what it is, and I refuse to take sleeping pills.

      Delete
  3. That hot weather sounds just miserable. I hope you get rain soon and a cool breeze at night. It has been cool enough here to need a fire in the mornings. And we have had a tiny bit of rain. Hopefully enough to keep the fire hazard down.
    It is so miserable when you can't sleep. I take melatonin every night and a nighttime cold med when I need to. The combo is probably frowned on by doctors, but it works for me. I had a lot of problems sleeping after my accident and still have a lot of pain from all the broken bones. I like a small fan on when it's not too cold. White noise. A little ice cream before bedtime is also good.
    I am incredulous tRump is at Mt Rushmore. Have you ever read Vivian Swift's blog? A lot of good tRump bashing humor.
    I hope the fireworks in your area won't get out of hand this year. I will be glad to hear the last of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed the temperatures have been miserable yesterday 4th of July we had a high of 107 with a heat index of 110 degrees :-(

      How fortunate you are to need a fire in the morning, seldom do we need one even in the winter. The fireplace in both Houston and Del Rio were last used perhaps 25 years ago if not longer.

      I had not heard of Vivian Swift's blog until I read your comment and went to check it out...it was funny and a good read...thank you!

      Delete
  4. We had a good storm yesterday to but ealier than yours and our power stayed on. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you got some precipitation and did not lose power...not fun when that happens :-(

      Been watching the Covid-19 numbers from your state and they are even worst than ours. Stay safe as well JO.

      Delete
  5. I dunno. I've just had a day where I'm tired of everything and just felt like a 2yr old and denied myself any fun to spite the world. I hope to be an adult again tomorrow. And I hope to see a post from you soon, or at least a reply to some comments above. And maybe you have been welcomed into the arms of Morpheus. Not exactly a cowboy, but at lest the god of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the right to act like a child if you like, after all, you are not hurting anyone by it. Yesterday was my day to act like an adult and tackle many outside chores in the hellish heat in case fireworks torched the weeds.

      Morpheus did come visit me on Friday...I was in his arms by eleven o'clock!

      Delete
    2. Bueno! Some sleep for you. More hot days ahead I fear. Even here.....stay safe.

      Delete
    3. Unbelievable temperatures the whole state is going to experience in the coming days JudithK. Read where Amarillo and Lubbock were going to reach 109 degrees on Sunday :-(

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.