Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, July 31, 2020

More yard work / Old Blogger Format

Wednesday I was able to fill another 55-gallon trash bag with newly fallen leaves. On Thursday I decided to tackle the area where I have my "command post" on the southern part of the property close to what was once Walter's corral and is now home to Juliet.


I gave my Terlingua rock rake a good work out along with my shovel. The shovel I use is not the traditional type but rectangular...I am able to clear a larger area to free it from weeds and prickly plants (some of them).


Yesterday I started out early...I managed to clear a path so I can drag the tree limbs to the curb without having to drag them to the main gate. I spent most of the morning doing that and then raking the debris into piles.

 
Needless to say, I was beat last night and actually went to bed early and slept soundly. We are expecting rains and wind this weekend so I needed to bag more yard debris. I was at it by 7:10 a.m. for the second day in a row beat the school bus that comes to deliver breakfast for school-age children and I was still at it when it came back with lunch.

The southern part is where most of the mature, as well as now two-year-old baby mesquites, are more prevalent. When we had the hail storm earlier this year a lot of limbs fell as well as twigs.  After I filled my second 55-gallon trash bag I realized that I needed to have used contractor bags because the twigs poked holes all over them.

I then moved to the area by the garage where I cleared and raked cactus and older leaves. All those trees will have to be cut as the very hot past three summers along with an ant infestation have managed to kill them.


I do not know if it is because today is the last day that I am able to use the old blogger format even though they said it would still be available for a limited time but it is only allowing me to upload one picture at a time and it is taking me forever. Now several of my pictures do not appear in my picture folder and this computer has slowed to a crawl.............grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I was disappointed that the 10:00 p.m. news showed that the storm that was headed for Del Rio had bypassed us and was headed to Brackettville instead.  I could hear the rumblings but that was about it.

We had a low of 79 a high of 101 with a heat index of 107 degrees.

As I am typing this it is 1:14 a.m CSD and all of a sudden it is raining not hard but raining nonetheless. :-)

Good night. May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



                             

8 comments:

  1. Hello MsB. Congratulations to you and Del Rio! According to the National Weather Service, you (Del Rio) had 29 out of 31 days in July of 100 F or more. Your “grade” is 29/31 = 93.5 %. Maybe you can try harder in August and make it 31 out of 31 days of 100 F or more to make it 100%. You missed 100 F on July 26 (95 F) and July 30 (96 F). Your high for July was 112 F on July 13. Good luck and stay hydrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Flyingdj for compiling that information for me. I lost track of how many triple-digit days we had around the 14th or 16th day...don't recall...CRS :-(

      For the next two weeks, we have nothing but temperatures in the 100-degree range or more. Who knows we might make it 100 percent in August.

      Sadly, it is too late for many of Mom's shade trees even though I water them early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Why can't those hideous mesquite trees suffer the same fate?

      Heard your area got some good rain yesterday...I am envious :-(

      Delete
  2. Isn't that the way it always happens. The Weeds survive while the good shrubs and trees dry up and die.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, that is how it plays out. I think JO is right when she said that "those darn mesquites would survive a thousand-year drought". :-(

      Delete
  3. Aieee. I am impressed with your labors in this weather. Even if only in the AM. A biologist friend of mine once told me mesquites seem to LOVE stress. Of course, she was a herpetologist and loved snakes, but that information was alleged to be straight from a botanist who specialized in mesquites. I guess we all kind of knew that. it does make excellent firewood.Glad you had a bit of rain in the late night, or I guess it was very very early morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to strike while the iron is hot JudithK...if I don't I know I will revert to my usual procrastinating ways...then it will never get done.

      IMHO mesquites are only good for firewood though I know Native Americans revered it calling it the tree of life. They used every part of it for food or medicinal purposes.

      Every time I look at one it brings to mind hours of raking its pods and as you know I hate yard work.

      The shower only lasted three minutes and I had about an inch of rain in my water catchment barrel.

      Delete
  4. That is a huge yard! But you are making good progress on getting it raked and bagged. Hope you had some good rain. We just get a tease after the one big rain that lasted almost 2 days.

    I got hold of the neighbor and asked him to please cut that stinkin tree back. Yesterday it was cut now for me to go out and rake up those stinkin pods and left over junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big yard...that is why I have always said that if I ever won the lottery (hard to do since I do not play it) the first thing I would do would be to hire a competent gardener.

      Unfortunately, it was a very short-lived shower had I not heard it rain I would not have been able to tell.

      I am so glad your neighbor finally cut back that mesquite tree it was about time! Hopefully, this will be the last time you have to rake those darn pods.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.