Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, July 10, 2020

Heat Wave / Power Outage

It has been incredibly hot lately. Thank goodness for the breeze and wind gusts. If I am not outside by 8:00 a.m. it gets too hot to water all the trees. The heat has done a number on them and with the wind, they are shedding their leaves as though it was fall.

Today was the first time in a long time that there has been low water pressure. The water coming out of the faucet was also warm even though it was on the cold setting. It remained that way until late in the afternoon.

I have been cleaning my 32-gallon rain catchment barrels (trash cans) as soon as I empty one I fill them up with Del Rio City Water whose source is San Felipe Springs. We are very fortunate to have this true gem as our border city neighbor to the south...Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila - México has to rely on the Rio Grande for their drinking water.

San Antonio is already under Stage 1 - water restrictions as many other Texas towns so we are lucky in that respect.

With this heat wave, I have been doing some yard work but just a little at a time. The only plus to being in a severe drought is that it has kept the weeds at bay. If only it would also kill those darn mesquite trees!!!

I had just taken a shower and had sat down to watch the 4:00 p.m. news. The nice cold A/C was blowing in my face and I started to doze off when the power went out at 4:16 p.m. I could not believe it! Why did I not lower the A/C earlier so the house could stay colder longer in case of that eventuality?

After I while I went outside and I heard someone's window unit running. Mr. Joe's wife was watering her lawn so I asked her from my side of the street if her power had gone out. She said she did not know but would go check...it had gone out. Though it seemed that the neighbors in the back of her house (the next street over) still had their electricity on...that is why we could hear the window units still operating.

Our landline telephones are electric so I could not use them to report the outage. When I found my cellphone it only had a 20 percent charge plus I did not have the number to report it to. Instead found my solar lights and took them outside to charge. One of those lights has the ability to also charge cellphones and tablets.

Power outages are common in southern Val Verde County the last one was just a couple of days ago and lasted six hours. We were fortunate that the power came back on at 5:09 p.m. after only 53 minutes.

We had a low of 81 a high of 108 with a heat index of 115 degrees. This weekend is going to be extremely hot in the Southern States. Stay inside and be safe.

Good night. May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



14 comments:

  1. Glad you got your power back within a reasonable amount of time but when it is that HOT what is reasonable.
    If you have a corded landline the phone will work unless it has an Answering System attached. Time to add the Power Company's phone Number to your cell phone's Contact List.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the AC.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised but happy that the power came back on in less than an hour as that is usually never the case. Had already made a mental plan for us to spend the night at a local hotel.

      One of my corded telephones has an answering system so it was not going to work. Somewhere in one of my many boxes, I brought down from Houston I have a plain jane corded phone.

      Delete
  2. Love all your pictures of the beautiful San Felipe Springs. They make me feel cooler just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the pictures Martha. Looking at the photos has the same cooling effect on me.

      Delete
  3. I feel you pain. We are having brown outs and it affected my a/c and I had to turn it off. I turned on the swamp cooler but at 110 and high humidty it reached 95 in the house. I finally couldn't take it anymore and turned the a/c back on and thankfully it was working again but it sure had to struggle to cool down the house. Still having a few brown outs hit and a big storm rolled in. Didn't cool anything down just made it worse. Hope you electric stays on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure am glad to hear that the brownout did not damage your new A/C that would have been tragic in the heat you are experiencing.

      Thought of you this evening when I saw the high temperature in your city on the 10:00 p.m. news. At least you got some rain. Be safe.

      Delete
  4. Sacramento weather has been weird - I need to turn the a/c on by 9am whereas the temps normally stay cool until noon. It usually cools down around 6 or 7 pm, but not these days! I hate to think of what my next electric bill will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is getting weird Gypsy with so much going on I had totally forgotten about climate change. I too am dreading the electric bill :-(

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I have no idea why you would be having this problem. I have even avoided changing over to the new blog platform.

      Are you perhaps hitting the PREVIEW button before you post? Sometimes your comment will disappear but if you hit the back arrow <-- it will once again reappear and then you can hit PUBLISH.

      Is anyone else having this problem? My usual commenters are on this post.

      Delete
  6. Glad you are surviving so far. This week is going to continue to be a hot one all over Texas. Hope the electric grid holds up...And especially yours! Geez. So far, so good here.
    I do like today's Aunty Acid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The A/C is having to work harder than usual but without it, I would NOT be able to survive. I had to lower it five degrees than customary just in case the grid failed but luckily it held up!

      Glad you have a good electric grid where you reside...unlike us Del Rio's red-headed step-children...living in southern Val Verde County.

      When I saw this Aunty Acid I had to post it as it described my mood completely on that particular day.

      Delete
  7. Del Rio made it to the "Cheapest places to live in Texas" list on a youtube video. #7 at the 4:31 mark, he says good things about the town.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9dVYpzwWSI&t=334s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed the video but because of the ads had to go back to the 4:31 mark after watching the whole thing as it somehow skipped it or perhaps it was user error :-(

      Glad he also featured Bracketville, Texas 30 miles west of Del Rio that is also a nice small town with affordable housing but not too much to do. Thanks!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.