Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

An attempt at yard work

The rains began at 2:19 a.m. Wednesday morning. I was catching up on e-mails and watching TV.  I could not help but think that if I still had that god awful DISH my internet, as well as TV signal, would have gone out. I did lose the picture but not the sound but only for seconds every now and then but never my internet signal.

Around 3:15 a.m. I started getting all these e-mails from my power company in Houston to let me know they were working on a power outage in my area.  Received the last one at 6:00 a.m. to let me know the issue had been resolved.  Was going to call my Houston neighbor but never got around to it.

With the rain, we received last night all my water catchment barrels are now full. Today was trash day and I had put ours in the garage because of the high winds and tornado we were expecting.  As I went to retrieve it and roll it out to the gate I noticed how easily the weeds were bending under its weight.

Went to grab my Sally hoe and shovel and started tackling the weeds.  It would have gone faster if Paquito and Nico (my stray cats) had not wanted to attack the hoe. They finally got tired and went to take a nap.

The sun came out, we had beautiful blue skies and it reached 85 degrees.  I am going to let it dry some and attempt to weed it or mow the front and back yard, the other two lots will have to wait.

Pollito's son went by and I know he saw me pulling weeds (he lives down the road from me).  A short time later Pollito went by slowly eyeing the yard but I was inside Terlita (my camping van) looking for my machete so he did not see me see him.

This evening even though I did wear a back brace my back is sore so I had to pop a couple of aspirins. Forgot to mention the darn mosquitoes also bit me, who knew they were already around?

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


15 comments:

  1. Getting a bit of yard work done would be nice but don't hurt yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is that I have a bad back. I knew if I stopped I would never get back to it, so I over did it.

      Delete
  2. I like that wooden TV tray table in the header picture, that's what I used inside the van as my "table". It's still in storage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe that is the most popular wooden TV tray ever!

      Seriously, I love it and almost everyone I know that goes camping owns one.

      Delete
  3. I have Dish and have had no trouble with it. If a storm has thick enough clouds, it will go off for a very short time. Check to make sure that the dish is pointing in the proper direction and that there are no obstructions between it and the sky. I live just north of Houston, so am not that far north of you. I used to carry a portable Dish with me on my travels and had no trouble in the Terlinqua area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dizzy, I think you misunderstood me...I stated that IF I still had DISH, it would have gone out due to the rain and wind.

      I thankfully "dumped" DISH after putting up with it for two and a half years. It is no mistake that the local DISH dealer went out of business in the Del Rio area.

      I never had DISH when I lived in Houston, actually I never had satellite/cable at all while I lived there. There were too many free channels to warrant me having to pay for channels I did not have the time to watch.

      Delete
  4. I should take a picture of my weeds and grass after all the rain we've had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do Gypsy, so I can feel like I am not the only one having to put up with this nuisance :-(

      Delete
  5. If you have an aloe vera plant and get stung by a mosquito, wasp, bee or fire ant, take a small piece and squeeze out the clear goo inside and put it on the bite asap. It will NEVER swell or itch. Even a yellowjacket or red wasp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I do have an aloe vera plant. Will have to look into it as I have never cut off a piece of it, had no idea there was a clear goo inside of it.

      Delete
    2. It works. I knew a guy in New Braunfels that had terminal stomach cancer - doctor gave him 6 weeks to 6 months. A friend told him of a miracle healer/curandera in Harlingen. He went down and she told him to eat that goo every day - a lot of it. Completely cured him with no evidence of cancer found. That was 12 years ago and he's still around today with no symptoms. Could be some kind of mind over matter or the body/mind/spirit phenomenon but who's to say? Meanwhile, OUR Spurs kickin' A and should have #8 inaro tonite. Also on another note , I bet you're excited about Beto - it's gonna be down to BBB on the left side - Bernie, Biden or Beto. Mark my word. Not a big stretch based on their competition. Sorry, I promise no more politics but was excitis for you.

      Delete
    3. I do not doubt that the aloe vera plant cured him. Curanderos in particular those that are of Native-American origin have passed down their knowledge for generations. Glad he is still with us.

      I do hope we win tonight for some reason we always end up losing to the worst teams in the league. I get confused which New York team is the bad one if not both.

      Don't worry about politics I think everyone that reads my blog knows my political leanings. I agree it will be down to the three B's.

      However, I am not excitis (just for Billy Bob though I doubt he reads me anymore). I wanted Beto to be Senator for six years or run for Governor. The last thing I wanted was for him to run for President. Not because I do not think he would make a formidable one but because I am AFRAID for him at least in this current political climate.

      Just look at what the President said yesterday, look all those nut jobs who follow him and have hit lists of journalitsts, politicians and institutions that he dislikes. Then the murder of so many Muslims last night in New Zealand by a white supremacist.

      I do not want Beto to run, I wish he had waited until 2024 but with that said I will support him though I have the same horrible feeling I did when Robert Kennedy threw his hat in the ring.

      Delete
    4. Wow, that's pretty heavy, Ss. Meanwhile I just enjoyed our little brothers beatin' up NY's little brothers in garbage time. Payback. GSG with my apologies - it was only a measly 7 in a row. Hottest team in NBA right now.(((((yawn)))))

      Delete
  6. Pollito should feel bad that you are doing your own yard work and get his butt over there and finish what he started last year and get going on this year. My yard is full of weeds again to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness he did finish even though it took him three months to complete a 2 to 3 day job.

      Last month he came by to see if I wanted his little wino sidekick to come mow the weeds and I said yes, but I knew he would not be coming around any time soon.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.