Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Vet / Cats / Shopping without buying

Monday when I was in Ciudad Acuña I took the opportunity to set up an appointment for Paquito (My One-Eyed Jack) to be neutered.  His vet has a lot of customers mainly from the USA.  The earliest appointment they could give me was Thursday, March 28th.  I guess the receptionist saw my disappointment and asked if I wanted to be put in a waiting list in case there was a cancellation, of course, I said yes.

They called me late yesterday afternoon to see if I could make it this morning.  I only have one cat carrier and it has been outside for a while so I had to clean it.  Paquito was right next to me when I was doing that even going inside it unprompted.  I was happy because he had obviously gotten over the drama or perhaps trauma involved in our prior trips to the vet.

This morning he was a no show.  I looked everywhere for him and thought the worst because if you do not follow my other blog...I recently lost my other cat Rudy Gay :-(

Not wanting to lose my appointment I grabbed Nico LaHood (Paquito and Rudy's brother) and off we went to Ciudad Acuña.  Being that tolls have gone up and me being a centavera (Spanish for penny pincher) I did not want to have to pay $5.60 twice...$4.00 to cross to Acuña...$1.60 to cross back to the USA.

Decided to kill six hours by going shopping but not actually buying anything.  This is when I wished that Terlita my camping van was still drivable.  It was a cloudy day in the '70s so I could have taken a nap in my van if I had it.

I ate at the food court of Plaza Bella, the only mall in this border town.  It made me sleepy so I had to go walk it off at Aurrera (owned by Walmart).

Could not help but notice that in every store I walked into that had automatic tellers there were long lines.  I asked one of the security officers why and he said that maquiladora workers get paid on Thursdays. Their paychecks are automatically deposited into whatever bank their employers work with and they go and withdraw it.

Went to pick up Nico and noticed that in his new official paperwork his name was listed as Niko, not Nico...oh well...I was too tired to argue.

Unlike Monday this time I got lost trying to find the International Bridge. They have changed the traffic flow of a lot of streets and made many one way. Had to go around and around until I finally found my way.

This time I only had a 15-minute wait to cross back to the USA.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a long day but you did nit get Paquito taken care of yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was disappointing as he is the one that needs it the most. Hopefully I will be able to rectify that situation soon.

      Delete
  2. Maybe Your One-Eyed Jack knew what was coming & thought he'd lost enough already? :-)
    I'm sure he'll turn up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was funny Rob! Wonder if animals have deep thoughts like we do?

      Paquito finally showed up at 7:00 p.m. last night. While I was happy to see him, I wanted to strangle him for all the worry he put me through.

      Delete
  3. Maybe he found himself a girl friend in heat. Maybe you can still get that 28th appt for him. Little rascal. But at least you did get one done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid you might be right JO, I so wanted to get him fixed so as not to add to the already large cat stray population :-(

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.