Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, March 10, 2019

The calm before the storm

These past couple of days we have had wonderful temperatures in the low to high 80's.  However, the weather is going to take a sharp turn both in temperatures as in severity starting this evening.  We are expecting high winds, severe thunderstorms, one-inch hail and a slight possibility of tornados.

In the insomnia front, it has taken another strange turn. I am used to going online after midnight, making my posts as well as reading the blogs I follow until four or five in the morning.  Lately, I am falling asleep watching the ten o'clock news and barely making it to eleven o'clock. On the downside, I am wide awake by four or five o'clock in the morning.

George, if you are reading me (Our Awesome Travels)...as unbelievable as it might seem I am getting up earlier than you!  Of course, I do not accomplish as much as you do in a day...will have to work on that.

HEB does not open until 6:00 a.m. so I took the opportunity and headed out early to stock up on larger size salad (they do not have that at little HEB) and basically have a much better selection as you would expect the larger size store to have.

The only bad thing is that being Sunday in Texas you can not buy beer until noon.  That is a silly law enacted decades ago to make Sunday a day of rest and going to church.  In Texas, the outdated "Blue Laws" does not allow for residents to buy hard liquor or a car on Sunday. Now, how silly is that? Ran several more errands so I will not have to be out and about in bad weather.

Telemundo has a daily segment in their newscast that gives the wait times to cross back to the USA both for Eagle Pass as well as Del Rio, Texas.  Yesterday at 5:00 p.m. it was 2 hours 15 minutes and today it was 1 hour and 15 minutes.  That is another reason why I chose to stock up today as I had forgotten all about Spring Break and the havoc it wreaks.  My grocery run to Mexico will have to be put on hold.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



Spurs Corner

The first quarter did not look promising but somehow we pulled another win tonight.

I love how the bats take the attention away from the game by making their grand entrance in the middle of the action :)


14 comments:

  1. I only sleep for around 6 hrs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prior to this fluke weather I would sleep three to four hours nightly and not necessarily continuously.

      Delete
    2. That's too bad... I hope whatever is allowing you more sleep keeps up happening!

      Delete
  2. Great game against a formidable, but tired team.

    I do my weekly grocery shopping at the HEB Saturdays sometime between 7-9 AM. Gotta maneuver around some shelf stockers and only a couple of registers open but me and the other bobosos there appreciate it. I didn't get it in yesterday and had to go today around 2 and it was a zoo.

    I hope we can keep Derrick, Dejounte and Bryn around to build future championship contenders with LA and some wiley veterans here and there to round it out. I don't think Demar will be part of the mix but if he stays then that's good too. R.C. and Pop have a way with finding talent and are the best at it.

    GSG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not necessarily refer to early Saturday morning shoppers like yourself as "babosos" but it brought a smile to my face :)

      I think the way Derrick White is playing he could garner big bucks and offers, with that said I hope he remains a Spurs.

      Why do you think DeMar DeRozan will depart? I think after what the Raptors did to him after promising him he would be a Raptor for life, he would ever go back to them because obviously Kawhi is going to make a beeline to the Clippers or Lakers.

      R.C. and Pop are geniuses at spotting un-scouted talent...like Manu and Kawhi among the many others that come to mind.

      Delete
    2. Just an initiation, er intonation, uh imitation, no INTUITION on DeMar.

      Delete
  3. Usually I sleep about 6 hours, yesterday was actually 3:30 I was up , this morning 4.
    Some of those old laws need to be removed. Back home we cannot buy beer or liquor until 10 am and noon on Sunday not the in special stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George you beat me again :(

      Glad we are not the only ones with outdated silly laws. I should be glad that Val Verde County is not "dry". Of the 254 counties in the state 74 are dry.

      Not to be able to purchase a car on Sunday is just plain ridiculous!

      Delete
  4. Don't know how I missed your post last night. Hope the weather wasn't as bad as they called for. They are calling for bad weather here to but they said it would start around 8 pm well it's past that and nothing seems to be happening yet. Hope your sleeping continues to get better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it has only been high winds and rain this morning. This evening or rather early tomorrow morning between midnight and 3:00 a.m. we are supposed to get strong thunderstorms.

      Delete
  5. I remember those laws about buying beer on Sunday from when I lived in Cincinnati. We could only buy a much lower alcohol content beer after Noon on Sunday. No liquor at all. They've probably changed it by now. I've lived several different places in the US and think CA has the most reasonable laws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am willing to bet the laws in Cincinnati have not changed, most bad laws stay in the books for years.

      When my friend moved to Florida she loved their liquor laws, you can buy any day of the week with no restrictive hours. During the Chili Cook-off we went to Mexico to buy liquor and because she had a Florida license she was able to bring back more bottles (I can't recall how many) to my ONE with a Texas driver's license.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.