Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Exchange Rate Alley has switched locations

The new state of the art Mexican Customs Building has brought many changes to this sleepy Border Town.  I am in awe of it, I had no idea how taking over the plaza at the entrance of Ciudad Acuña would make these new facilities massive.


While driving in México...any part of México...I would leave picture taking duties to your co-pilot...do NOT under any circumstances try to do it on your own while driving.  Not being judgemental but Mexicans drive like maniacs, they do not believe in using turn signals, they enjoy cutting in front of you in particular taxi drivers, and they love to blow their horn.  In essence, pay attention to your surroundings or you will wind up in a wreck.

Another look at the now sealed area to the North

The back view of the new Mexican Customs building

Many vehicular accidents involve an American automobile with a taxi, there was a serious one yesterday in the tourist area.  It is for this reason that I have no pictures of the new entrance into Mexican Customs  (even though it is still a work in progress).  On a positive note, it allows the line to move faster because there is only one entity making the decision to let you advance or send you for second revision.

For some reason, more Currency Exchange locations have popped up due to the change of vehicular flow. With streets becoming one-way and others now two-way it gives these businesses an opportunity to expand to other locations...mainly closer to the new International Bridge.



For those new to my blog, in México there is the official Peso to Dollar rate if you go to a bank and there is the rate offered at Exchange houses which is lower and where the majority of people go to buy or sell their dollars.



I personally coined the area where they were located as Exchange Rate Alley. Now that area has relocated because of the vehicular circulation close to the new Mexican Customs Building.


Streets that once had very little vehicular circulation are now main thoroughfares...I feel for the owners.


After getting lost in my past visits, I decided to park my car and go for a walk so I could take in all the changes and I am glad I did.  I do not think I will get lost finding the International Bridge in the future.

Heading to the new toll booths going back to the USA.
Note how expansive the area is now.

The new area for 18 wheelers entering and leaving México.
It is now as large or perhaps larger than the one
on our side of the border.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

19 comments:

  1. A nice report! I really enjoy these...

    ReplyDelete

  2. Your car registration is due in July, Ss.

    hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly goose!

      How disappointing was last night loss? That game as well as the one against Houston were winnable. While I never had high hopes for this season it still hurts in particular when we have lost games that we should have won. Being in the 8th spot sucks!

      Delete
    2. Well, MY Spurs are doing the best they can. I guess maybe the fair weather fans could be disappointed.

      hahahahahaha - got you back from after the road trip comment

      Manu tribute manana - hope they show the whole thing

      Delete
    3. Touché...

      On the evening news KENS5 said they were going to cover it tomorrow. They said the price of tickets were in the $300 plus dollar range and the cheapest $144...don't quote me on that as with my CRS I can't remember the actual price :-(

      Delete
    4. FAKE NEWS ALERT! FAKE NEWS ALERT!
      No Manu on KENS 5 and its 7:30! All of your followers are being misled. Luckily if they follow my twit, they will know its on FSSW.

      Delete
    5. I NEVER said the game was going to be on KENS5...the sports guy (I do not know his name as I usually watch KSAT12) said "the retiring of the jersey ceremony" would be covered by their station.

      What followers? The only fellow Spurs fan and reader is YOU :D

      Delete
    6. Was just foolin' with ya. CH 5 will show it sometime - just not live. And I don't twit anyway. GSG

      Delete
    7. Whew! Close one. Celebration live on FSSW following the game. TYL

      Delete
    8. KENS5 did carry the jersey retirement ceremony. They delayed their nightly news as well as The Late Show With Stephen Colbert which was the reason why I was watching this station last night.

      It was a close one, for a minute there I thought we were not going to pull a win for Manu.

      Delete
  3. Interesting. I wouldn't even think of driving there, but I wish I could get there somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some border towns Eagle Pass, Texas comes to mind where it is a short walk to the other side Del Rio is not one of them. It is probably about a mile and if you bought stuff and it's hot I certainly would not want to walk.

      For people that go eat and shop and do the tourist stuff within the downtown area they could walk or take an American taxi.

      I go to the other side of town where the large grocery stores are located so I definitively need my car to get there.

      Delete
  4. Those drivers sound like the ones here. That's why I don't drive much in this town and stay on my own side and that's bad enough. But nice improvements for the town

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traffic has gotten progressively worst in Del Rio as well or perhaps I am just now noticing it.

      Having to commute daily in Houston's rush hour traffic perhaps made me immune to it but after being away for so many years I am not used to crazy driving anymore.

      Delete
  5. I have been to Canada but never Mexico. The closest I have been was the Big Bend area. BTW, do you need a passport to go to Mexico?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do NOT need a passport to go to Mexico but you NEED one to return to the United States.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.