Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, March 18, 2019

Unplanned trip to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila - México - UPDATED

One of my mother's close friends is an elderly widow that does not drive. She has an older sister who is not in good health and lives in Ciudad Acuña (across the border from Del Rio, Texas). She called me Sunday night to ask if I could drive her to Acuña today as her sister has once again been hospitalized. I have no problem taking her.

Hard to believe that I have not been to México in six months, my last trip was in September 2018. My goodness, there has been so much progress since then. On my last visit, they were building a new Mexican Customs building. It is now complete and very nice. I wish I had been able to take pictures but my camera broke a while ago and I am not sold on using my cellphone as a substitute camera.

I had to be vigilant as they have changed the traffic direction of many streets to ease the flow of incoming traffic which now offers several alternatives to different parts of the city. I drove her to the hospital her sister was at and thought how lucky we were to find a parking space up front.

When we got to the entrance it was locked and there was a sign on the door saying they were only receiving ER patients. Soon the guard opened the door to tell us the same thing but upon informing him her sister was hospitalized there he allowed us to come in.

You might ask yourself why a hospital would lock their doors?  This is not a public hospital, it is only for federal government workers.  Her sister is a former school teacher and in México they are considered federal employees. It falls under the ISSSTE whereas non-government employees are under the auspices of El Seguro Social and have a separate hospital and health system.

It turns out it was a national holiday in México. The actual holiday is on March 21st to honor Benito Juarez the "Benedict of the Americas" and one of the best President's México has ever had. Following the footsteps of many countries, they decided to celebrate it today so Mexicans could have a three-day weekend.

If you have been reading me for a while you know that my favorite day of the week to go to Acuña is on Tuesday, also known as "Martes de Cosecha"...translation..."Harvest Tuesday" where they have excellent prices on produce.

Since it was Monday, I headed to Soriana where they have good quality produce any day of the week as I will not be able to return tomorrow. Stocked up on celery, cabbage, chayote, and onions (for a future soup).  Was disappointed they did not have serranos and while I could have bought jalapeños I have found that the spicy consistency varies.

I also bought Nutrisse (hair color) and Johnson's Baby Oil at a fraction of the cost we pay in the USA. Nutrisse because it is manufactured in México and Johnson & Johnson is made in Colombia.

Bought several bottles of hot sauce and one of guacamole dip and got a free mole. Went by their food courtyard and found a special on rotisserie chicken. One sold for $79.00 pesos ( $4.22 USD) at an exchange rate of $18.70 but if you bought two you got it for $119.00  (6.36 USD).

When we were heading to Mexico the lines to cross to the USA were long (At the time I had no idea it was a holiday and everybody was headed to Del Rio to shop). Was hoping that by now those lines had shrunk but unfortunately that was not the case. It took me 1 hour 7 minutes to cross the border back to Del Rio.

There were a lot of vendors on the bridge selling their wares, I was interested in buying a cowboy hat but no one was selling those today. I would much rather buy it from these individuals than from stores that exploit them and pay low prices for their handmade goods.


I am going to go on a mini-rant (Yes, another one)... I do not know where tourists got the idea that these people enjoy haggling for their goods...they DO NOT!  Please do not try to negotiate a lower price as they are barely making a profit as it is. Consider yourself fortunate that you can pay the asking price and a dollar or two will not make you or break you, yet the same can not be said for them. If they can make a decent profit in their country they would not feel the need to migrate to ours...end of rant!

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Spurs Corner

I can not say enough about OUR Spurs.  The game this evening against the champion Golden State Warriors was a thing of beauty.  We played defense, we executed our game plan and we WON.  We are the hottest team in the league with nine wins in a row!

Go Spurs Go!!!

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting day you had and nice too give the friend a ride to the hospital. Always find good deals in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a very nice lady and I see myself in her in a couple of years. Unlike me, she does have grown children and adult grandchildren but none of them live in Del Rio or visit often so she is basically alone.

      I can always find bargains in México and it certainly helps the budget.

      Delete
  2. Do you use an ice chest or some other insulated container for the produce during the hot time of the year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitively, I always carry an ice chest with me no matter the time of the year. I keep it iced down by freezing water bottles that last far longer than regular ice and no ice melt to have to clean.

      Delete
  3. I have been to Canada but never have I been to Mexico even though it borders the state that I live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a long drive for you and you basically have everything they sell in México in Houston.

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize it has been that long since you went to Mexico either. At least you found some good produce to buy. It has been really ugly here and I have to cook it fast to keep from throwing it away which does not make me happy. Like you love the frozen bottles of water. It was nice of you to take the lady to see her sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time sure flies JO, wish it had gone as fast when I was a kid. Spring is already here so hopefully you will be getting nicer produce in your area.

      Delete
  5. "Jew" them down? Man, I haven't heard that in years! You better hope the Politically Correct Police don't read your blog! Jajajaja. If you were in congress you would be headline news for a week. Go SPURS Go. D-Wade farewell tour tonite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted this at 11:55p.m. (actually 1:55 a.m.) so only had five minutes before the date would become Tuesday, March 19th and I wanted to have it post the same day I went to Acuña.

      Perhaps it was not the "best choice of words" but at the time none other came to mind. I apologize if I offended anyone.

      I know it is Dwyane Wade's last game in San Antonio but I still want them to lose.

      GO SPURS GO...lets make it 10 in a row!

      Delete
    2. I have corrected my "faux pas" and updated this post to include other information I had to leave out since I was in a time crunch.

      Delete
  6. I haven't been to Acuna in years. Never had to wait in line before. I am in Midland waiting on a house I bought's paperwork to finish. I wanted to go see bluebonnets in Terlingua and Debi drove down from Leveland and it was a quick trip but lots of fun. Wish you were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there girl, long time no hearing from you!

      Acuña has grown so much in the past couple of years as has Del Rio. Crossing times to both cities in peak holidays like Thanksgiving (actually Black Friday sales that now start on Thursday), Christmas, New Year's, Spring Break, Easter, etc. etc. has made for some hellish long waits.

      Are you flipping houses now? Glad you had a chance to go to Terlingua and meet up with Debi as well as enjoy the official flower of Texas.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.