Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, April 19, 2019

Camping at area parks / Mr. Joe / Killer hail

Even though I went to bed late I was wide awake by 7:00 a.m.  Last night since it was Spurs game night I did not have time to eat dinner as I was trying to finish my other chores. I had a small bag of chips at half-time to squelch my hunger.

Decided to treat myself to some breakfast tacos this morning. Leilani would be proud of me, I did not wear a lick of make-up, put on my cowboy hat and sunglasses and no one was the wiser.

For some reason, I kept on thinking today was Thursday instead of Good Friday.  This morning after 10:00 a.m. the city parks along the banks of San Felipe Creek were open to the public for camping during the Easter weekend.

Mother's nice neighbor once again mowed the grass along the outside fence line...thank you, Mr. Joe!  Now if I could just muster the will to take care of what is inside the fence :-(

I mentioned on my last post that Ciudad Acuña and surrounding "rancherias"...little ranches in nearby towns...had suffered the brunt of the baseball size hail.  I found the story on the Mexican newspaper El Zocalo but instead of showing pictures of the hail they chose to show pictures of dead sheep, goats and other animals that were killed by said hail.  I do not have the heart to post the picture on my blog.  If you want to read the story here it is  http://www.zocalo.com.mx/new_site/articulo/mata-la-granizada-a-ganado-en-jimenez

I was a little bummed out because today is not the first, second, third but fourth time within the past four weeks that someone I know passes away and I do not have any knowledge of it. Many people are choosing not to be listed in the local newspaper because apart from the cost hardly no one reads it. Such was the case with the lady that was laid to rest this morning. I had to go to the funeral home's webpage to learn of her passing.

I think I have managed to write a "downer post" without meaning to but what can I say, this is what I have to work with.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


20 comments:

  1. Not downer but just how things are. Up and down. Thanks SO much to you and others (like Barney – OFM, John Wells - TFL) for such astute insights and amazing alternative to fear-mongering corporate main stream media. You folks are the Walter Cronkites of our age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Hachita. While Barney and John Wells are deserving of high praise I do not think the same applies to my blog.

      There is no way I could possibly even be mentioned in the same breath as Mr. Walter Cronkite a true American icon.

      Delete
    2. Ms Belinda, you show us a small slice of America that is generally pleasant and is always real.

      Delete
  2. So sad about that killer hail glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt sorry for the baby sheep and goats who did not have a chance. The killer hail fell in the outskirts of Ciudad Acuña and surrounding Mexican ranches. While Del Rio had some hail it was only pea size.

      Delete
  3. Maybe the Sunshine of Easter will help brighten your day.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were right, today I feel much better after having walked along the banks of San Felipe Creek in the warmth and sunshine taking pictures for the blog.

      Delete
  4. If that hail was large enough to kill sheep, it sure must have done considerable damage to building, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The damage was in the Mexican side of the border Dizzy. The article says there was damage done to buildings and automobiles apart from the livestock lost but it has not been quantified yet.

      Delete
  5. Atta girl, Ms. B. And tomorrow you can wear your Easter Bonnet with your shades to breakfast!

    We've been enjoying amazing Chamber of Commerce weather over this way, I hope your weekend is just as glorious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Leilani I do not believe I have ever owned an Easter Bonnet in my life...jajajajajaja!!

      Ditto on the wonderful weather. Sunny skies with a high of 88 degrees and wind gust in the 16 to 20 mph range to aid in making it feel cooler.

      Delete
  6. Grrr SPURS Grrrrr!

    Guaranteed W Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling they were going to lose. Are your guarantees like those made by Charles Barkley?

      Delete
  7. I didn't see him, I watched FSSW with Sean and Bill. He's too smart for me. Plus he disses them big ol' SA gals and I love 'em! And what the hell is a churro? This weddo never had one. Viva Fiesta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was not on TV today but he has a history of guaranteeing games that dates back to his days in college where he bet heavily on Hakeem Olajuwon who was then playing at the University of Houston to win a game and lost.

      Just before game 3 he "guaranteed" that the Denver Nuggets would beat our Spurs. Afterwards the guys as well as the audience made fun of him and said that if Charles went with one team people should bet the opposite. It was actually quite funny.

      Have a good time at Fiesta, glad I went when I younger.

      Delete
    2. Sorry I missed that.

      I don't do Fiesta any longer. Not for years. When I worked at Joskes downtown I went every nite to NIOSA. That was like 40 years ago! Hard to get around that crowd in my scooter or walker now.

      Delete
    3. "Hard to get around that crowd in my scooter or walker now"...jajajajajaja :D

      It has been years since I hear "Joske's" being mentioned. Loved to shop their "basement" when I was a teenager. It was the only department we could afford to purchase something at.

      I am watching the Rockets vs Jazz game and enjoying it throughly. Only hope the Jazz keep on playing like they have the first three quarters or face a sweep.

      Delete
  8. Things are not always great and life does throw bad things in the mix.
    But you didn't wear make-up to get breakfast now thats not a downer.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of feel silly now but not wearing make-up actually saved me fifteen minutes.

      Happy Easter to you as well JO.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.