Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Early to rise / Menudo / Barbacoa / Comparison Price Shopping

I was wide awake by 6:00 a.m. and since I could not go back to sleep turned on the TV so I could catch up on all the shows I have recorded on my DVR and hopefully delete a few.  I have been sleeping with my windows partially open as at least at nights it gets down to the very comfortable '60s.

My boys (my stray cats) were having none of that and came to sit by the window ledge and whine until I finally gave up and went outside to feed them.  Walked to the front gate to see if Mr. Joe's step-son's vehicle was there as I suspect he and his family no longer live there...me doing my happy dance!  Only to see that more litterbugs had dumped trash along the fence line.

Lined my five-gallon bucket, put on my plastic gloves and started picking up trash at 7:00 a.m.  The only person that came out was the nosy neighbor's son as he made his way to town I presume to buy breakfast.

Hum....breakfast?  Yeah, I can go for that.  I allow myself one day a week to eat whatever I want. The only problem is that it is Sunday and my favorite "menudo" selling restaurant now closes on Sundays.  If I want to partake in their delicious dish I have to buy it the day before.

Headed to HEB where they make a version of "light menudo" and "lower fat barbacoa" though they would not get a five-star rating from me...it was "eatable".  

It was so good not to have to encounter any crowds at the store that I took my time and went to price compare some items I have posted that I buy in Mexico.

Comparison Price Shopping


Garnier Nutrisse Hair Color sells at HEB for $6.97


The same item in Mexico sells for 39.00 Mexican Pesos divided by an exchange rate of $17.30 for the equivalent of $2.25 USD. That is a savings of $4.72 each which will more than pay for the $4.00 USD in tolls to cross to Ciudad Acuña.


I purchased a Garnier Fructis shampoo 650 ml for $39.60 Mexican pesos divided by an exchange rate of $17.30 for the equivalent of $2. 29 USD.


That same item was selling at HEB in Del Rio for $4.94 saving you $2.65 per shampoo bottle more than paying for the tolls to cross back to the USA which depending on the exchange rate range from $1.60 to no more than $1.80 USD.


While I still had 3/4 of a tank full I decided to top my tank as it is only a matter of time for prices to go up as high as they have in California where they are almost $5.00 a gallon.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Spurs Corner

I have often said that if I did not write it down whether in my Personal Journal or my Blog...then it did not happen...tonight I will subscribe to that philosophy...tomorrow it might be a different story.

14 comments:

  1. Why must people be so nasty and throw trash everywhere.
    Those are great savings on your items. And you are paying .20 less for gas. Yep it will be over $3. soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why people choose to litter but I wish they would stop. I have even seen senior citizens throwing fast food wrappers out their window...sad!

      We will be crossing that $3.00 mark shortly.

      Delete
  2. It is nice to compare costs and so close to the boarder it is sure worth your while to shop in Mexico those fuel prices are still over a dollar a gallon less than ours here in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly worth my while to shop in Ciudad Acuña in particular for personal care items such as these that you can stock up on to use later on down the road.

      Even having to pay over a dollar more for gasoline in Canada I would gladly pay it in exchange for free health care.

      Delete
  3. On your Oct 9th post we both expressed we had no expectations for the (now) past season. In retrospect our team had a lot better season than I thought possible. Looking forward to offseason additions and subtractions. I like Poeltl a lot but he is not a "starting" center. There are a couple of strong free agents out there. I don't think we need to decimate the team to pick up a big name like Durant or Davis, but there is some real talent out there that I think would buy into the "system". Without Dejounte's injury we may have never opened up the door for Derrick White to become a cornerstone. Now that we know what he can bring, there is a whole new base to build upon with him, Dj and Forbes. Keep LA but Demar, to me, is expendable to package for a strong talent. I fear Rudy Gay proved himself worthy to be courted by many teams so he will have to be replaced and those are big shoes to fill. All in all, will be an interesting summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you serious Andy...October 9, 2018...I barely remember what I said yesterday!

      Had to go back and read my own comment to recall what I wrote :D

      I agree with your summation of our prior season except for the following:

      "Keep LA but Demar, to me, is expendable to package for a strong talent."

      I am not forgetting that LaMarcus carried the team while Kawhi sat the 2017-2018 season out. The guy is a veteran and as such I can not believe he did not foul on those precious seconds of Game 7.

      Would we have won? Probably not but stranger things have happened. I was never in favor of him joining the Spurs to begin with and I know I wrote about it...but I am not going to go looking for it... :)

      I like DeMar and in some ways he reminds me a little of Kawhi. I think the Toronto Raptors did him wrong. In the end it is all a business venture and the fans have no input. I am looking forward to what the future brings.

      Delete
    2. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't shed one tear if LA was gone. He was brought in to complement the traitor. Just think if KL was still here and where we'd be. But that ain't the way the world works. I would be Ok if we did nothing but sign Rudy to a new lucrative contact (if he wants to stay).

      Delete
    3. Rudy is a good player and worthy of a lucrative contract. I just hope the Spurs do not try to match the offer and in the process mess up a good deal like they did for Jonathan Simmons (Yes, I am still mad about that).

      Two other players that have showcased their talents well after the injury to Dejounte are Derrick White and Bryn Forbes who might also see a couple of suitors courting them.

      Delete
    4. Off topic how was your trip to PINS?

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had a good morning, I really couldn't ask more! $2.55 is a good price compared to gas here in north Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Cross-Border Shopping in the early 90's when buying in the U.S. was cheaper then in Canada. Nice that shopping in Mexico is cheaper for you.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know a lot about Canada but through your blog and many others that I have started following I am slowly learning what it is like to live there.

      I would have never thought Canadians would have found it cheaper to cross border shop in the U.S. in the 90's. Is that no longer the case?

      For us shopping in Mexico certainly helps stretch the budget and that trend continues to be true since moving to Del Rio from Austin, Texas in the 60's.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.