Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, April 13, 2019

April 12, 2019 trip to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila - México - Part I

This past Tuesday (April 8th) when I went to take Nico for his post-surgery check-up I was able to land an appointment for Paquito to have the same operation (neutering).  Though I frown on Friday trips to Ciudad Acuña because so many people head out that way, it usually isn't until the afternoon that they start arriving in masses.

Checked my now favorite link  Border Wait Times and there was a 60-minute delay to cross into Del Rio but since I was headed to México it did not matter.  I have tried to find a link to Mexican Border Crossing Wait Times along the Texas-Mexico border but only found some for Baja California and they only list a telephone number.

Had every intention of just dropping Paquito off and returning to Del Rio but when I crossed into México the lines to cross to the USA spilled back to beyond the Mexican toll booths.  It is a good thing that they built this new Mexican Customs facility because it can absorb the long lines that previously would bring traffic to a halt extending up to five streets deep.

Del Rio has another International Bridge located on the road to Amistad Dam.  Its hours of operation are from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and you do not have to pay a toll either way to cross it.


It was a little after 9:00 a.m. and the wait time had risen to 80 minutes on the main International Bridge.  If you have been reading me for a while you know that I dislike waiting in line for ANYTHING.  Decided to run some errands to kill time until they opened up the Amistad Dam Port of Entry. 


Headed to Soriana a large Mexican department store that I would liken to a Target.  It is large, well stocked, clean, has ample parking space and most importantly no crowds.


Before I post pictures of items I want to first post the Exchange Rates for today that have been holding steady for a few weeks.

Compra = Buy -------> they will buy your American Dollar for $17.30
Venta = Sell ----------> they will sell you an American Dollar for $18.70



I had to smile when I saw this new Coca-Cola with no sugar.  If there is something that Americans like is Mexican Coca-Cola that is made with cane sugar and not high fructose corn syrup like in the USA.  The Mexican government has been making strides to lower childhood obesity rate which depending on the study rates them first or second in the world.

29.15 Mexican Pesos divided by 17.30 exchange rate
 equals $1.69 USD for a 2.5-liter bottle

For the ladies or why not also gentlemen, México has very affordable prices on hair dyes because although they are American brands they are manufactured in México.

$39.00 Mexican Pesos divided by 17.30 exchange rate
equals $2.25 USD

These two single burner cooktops are Mexican made and I do not know about you but I rather buy Mexican than low-quality Chinese products.  I do not mean that in a disrespectful way, just facts.

$20.18 and $14.45 USD

For those who happen to be beer lovers like myself, there are always beer bargains but you have to take into account that you have to pay Texas Liquor Taxes when you bring them back to the states. Except at the Amistad Dam Port of Entry because they do NOT have a liquor tax collection booth...but you MUST declare it or you will be subjected to a steep fine.  I personally buy my beer at Stripes in Del Rio much cheaper than at HEB or Walmart.
 
Tecate Light 12 pack $8.67 USD
Soriana also has a Pemex gasoline station on its premises.  I do not know how much it goes for as I never buy gasoline in México.



Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.




Spurs Corner

This evening at 9:30 p.m. Central Time our Spurs will play the Denver Nuggets in the first game in the First Round of the 2019 NBA Playoffs. 

I am a little concerned since we do not play well on the road and Denver is a tough city to play at not necessarily because of the opponents but due to its high altitude.

Go Spurs Go!!!

14 comments:

  1. A fine report! Educational & entertaining!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to the Rio Grande but never across it. The only country I have been to other than the U.S. is Canada.

    Coming back from south Texas, I had to go through a customs pull through. I told them that I was not out of the U.S. They then asked me if I had any firearms. I told them that I sure wouldn't leave them home in an unguarded home. He just laughed and let me through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read in your blog how much your wife and you enjoy Mexican Coca-Cola that you can buy in Houston. For some reason I thought you were going to comment on the new sugar free Coca-Cola.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the great pictures and your always intriguing documentary! You consistently serve up a huge slice of real life on the border. Something so missing from main stream media.

    Amazing tip on the absence of a liquor tax collection booth at the Amistad Dam Port of Entry. Would love to test that out (smile). Love the Tecate mountain.

    Once again, yay Stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best to give my readers an insight into what life is really like along the Texas-Mexico border from a small town point of view.

      The Amistad Dam Port of Entry is considered by Del Rio standards as "far" unless you happen to live close to the lake or on the northern part of the city which is "the nice side of town".

      With the bridge not opening until 10:00 a.m. they are not losing on toll revenue because the people that work in Mexico have to drive to the south part of the city to the main bridge and fork over their $4.00 at the toll booths.

      Except for holidays when the lines to cross are super long and right now with shortage of agents that have been assigned to other ports of entry in the country it does not have a lot of traffic. I suppose that is why it is not cost effective to have a liquor tax collection booth at this location.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, BEER :D

      What no comment on our Spurs?

      Delete
    2. I figure we would split one in Denver I did not think it would be the first game. Good start!

      Delete
  5. What a great exchange report and you at aleast got to walk around until the other port opened. I hate waiting in lines of anykind myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed looking around without being in a rush and getting some much needed walking in as a bonus.

      Delete
  6. Fuel is way too expensive in Mexico these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pemex (Petroleos Mexicanos) has preset prices depending on what part of Mexico you live in. Ciudad Acuña being on the border has a lower price to be able to compete with stations in the USA.

      Honestly, anyone that has a visa and can cross legally into Del Rio fills their tank on the American side of the border. Our gasoline is cheaper and more fuel efficient.

      For me it is hard to wrap my head around the metric system to compare prices. I only fill up in the US side.

      Thank you for dropping by Contessa.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.