Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Thunder, lightning, heavy winds, rain and hail

We were warned by the weather stations in San Antonio that we were under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch beginning at 9:00 p.m.  Had to once again go outside to put away anything that might become a projectile.

I wanted to watch the Houston Rockets game but the lightning show followed by thunder and heavy winds made me turn it off and disconnect most everything. With my WiFi turned off found out how slow my cell phone really is without it.

Could not watch TV, could not go online...what is a gal to do?  Take a nap of course.  At first, I was unable to do so but then I fell into a deep sleep.  I could hear the thunder and lightning but it was like I was in a deep trance or heavily sedated.

It was 11:03 p.m. when Paquito snapped me out of my deep sleep state when he started fighting with another cat (a stray) and I had to go outside to yell at him. I do not know why he always picks on this cat while not on other strays when he comes over to eat or drink water.

Turned on the TV and by now the storm was reaching Uvalde with hail and heavy winds. That is when I found out that Ciudad Acuña had taken the brunt of the storm. They had received golf size hail which people were sending pictures of to various San Antonio news outlets.

This morning I woke up early and headed to HEB to get a jump on the crowds and very glad I did. I was home by 9:30 a.m.

There was no damage at mother's house and today turned out to be a beautiful sunny day with a high of 84 much better than the 91 degrees we had yesterday.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

12 comments:

  1. That's TWICE in a week the local stations instill fear of apocalyptic storms gonna annihilate the area. I had a nice 1" rain from midnight til 2. Not bad. Are you sure that cat isn't a "she". It sounds like fighting but.....they ain't fightin',honey!

    Go SPURS Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always better to be safe than sorry. The city emergency system called several times but I did not receive the messages because I had turned off the telephone that is electric.

      Paquito is a male that I just had fixed this past Friday.

      I do not know what the sex of that other cat is but "it" is a scary cat that Paquito likes to bully and wont let near the food when he lets other strays eat without attacking them.

      There is no other "funny stuff" going on.

      Delete
    2. OK OK OK - I get it and I knew Paquito is a male otherwise he'd be Paquita

      Big win tonite

      Delete
    3. That just proves that you are a San Antonian otherwise you would not have known about Paquita :)

      Great win tonight! How about the impressive performance by Derrick White...remarkable!!

      Delete
  2. We're getting rain right now with the thunderstorm watch weather due in a bit but it will pass by 2am or.... Oh ya, this is northern Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably the same system that passed through here last night. Stay safe.

      Delete
  3. We had some rain last night but it wasn't much no puddles this morning. Sounds like you had a good one. I love big storms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been having quite of bit of rain JO, is this common for your area?

      We needed the rain and my rain catchment system is once again full. What I do not need is the weeds growing even taller...oh where is my Tall Weather Cowboy who enjoys doing yard work? :-(

      Delete
  4. We just had rain and 35 mph wind gusts all day, no major storm warnings. We have had tornadoes in this area, through rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure after spending the fall and winter in the Southwest you must be missing the warm and dry weather.

      We also had 35 mph wind gusts which helped in the temperatures not feeling so warm.

      Delete
  5. Your picture makes me want to go fishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frann! Long time no hearing from you. I had forgotten that you liked to fish.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.