Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Trip to the Dentist

I can not believe it took me all weekend to get over my trip to México. I was exhausted and did not get to do my other chores.

I had mentioned that I was on a waiting list if there was a cancellation at my dentist's. I just had this feeling they would be calling me Monday and sure enough they did.  It was the only time I was glad I had my cell phone turned ON.

Incredibly, I got up very early Monday morning and was able to get to the things I had neglected over the weekend. Gassed up for $2.45 per gallon. Went by the post office, the bank and stopped to buy two breakfast tacos at Stripes where they KNOW how to make tacos!

My appointment was at noon so left at 11:17 a.m. Made sure to write down the mileage, it was 5 miles from mother's house to the dental office and took me 20 minutes.


I got a tooth filled for $58.00 dollars and had my teeth cleaned for $45.00 for a total of $103.00 USD. I usually pay in Mexican Pesos but chose to pay in dollars today.

Went to run a couple more errands before heading to the Amistad Dam Port of Entry.  Since I was not in a hurry I stopped at the dividing line where the Eagles are located and took some pictures. I also added some to the prior post.



From here you can get a great view of Lake Amistad.


 As well as of the Rio Grande River. México to the right and USA to the left.


Joined the line to cross the border at 3:30 p.m.  On a prior post I had said it was a 10-mile drive from downtown Ciudad Acuña to the Amistad Dam Port of Entry but I was wrong it is a 17-mile drive.


 After a few minutes, more had joined the line behind me.


I reached the ICE agent at 5:17 p.m. It took me 1 hour 47 minutes to cross the borderThen had to drive another 17 miles to get home but at least I can tick off another thing off my To Do List.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


NBA Corner

Last night I was going to watch the game between the Clippers and the Golden State Warriors, but it was so boring and obviously the GSW were ahead by a lot so changed channels. This morning I woke up to find the Clippers made an unbelievable comeback and  I missed it...grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

10 comments:

  1. 5 miles from your house to the dentist in Mexico and a lot farther to get home... Was going home that way still faster than the direct way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was Rob. In ordinary circumstances it should have been a simple 10 mile round trip but the lines to cross back are very slow.

      Friday, I was able to use the Border Wait Times app because I was at Bodegas Aurrera and could tap in to their WiFi. The Dentist office does not have WiFi and my cell phone does not work in Mexico so I do not know what the wait time was at the Main International Bridge but trust me it had to have been a very long wait for all these people to drive an additional 17 miles and depending on what part of Del Rio they live in 10 to 17 miles to drive back to town.

      If you will recall Friday the line was not that long and I only waited 25 minutes to cross into the USA. Yesterday being Monday I did not think the lines would be that long but I was wrong.

      Delete
    2. Everybody in read your blog about saving that time... you're a victim of your own success!
      :-)

      Delete
    3. I used to have a reader in Del Rio but I do not think he follows me anymore. The closest reader is in Uvalde who wrote me wanting more information about my vet in Acuña.

      During Easter or any holiday for that matter the lines to cross the border are long. This weekend it was 3 hours long per the Border Wait Times website so 1 hour and 47 minutes at this other Port of Entry by comparison is not so bad.

      Delete
  2. Nice to get those things taken care of n Mexico , enjoyed your pictures, too bad the border crossing takes so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dental work is certainly cheaper in Mexico in particular if you do not have insurance like me.

      Wish I had a nice camera like yours but for now will have to do using my cell phone.

      Delete
  3. Such a gorgeous picture of the borderline eagles on the Amistad Dam. After all the awful border wall pictures we've endured recently, it's wonderful to see something that reminds us with dignity and grace that we're really one people, even if two nations. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Hachita!

      While difficult for people that do not live along the border to grasp, we have always valued and respected our neighbor to the south. There is a reason why we are called Twin Cities.

      I wish those in position of making decisions and enacting legislation would actually visit the border and talk to the citizens whose lives are being directly impacted by the decisions being made hundreds of miles away from the border.

      Delete
  4. You sure have been a busy lady but you are ticking things off your to do list. I know I always feel good when I get things done. Nice pictures. Didn't you recently buy a new camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like yourself, I also feel good when my To Do List gets smaller.

      I bought a new camera during Black Friday. Then I misplaced it, found it and starting reading reviews about it (I know I should have done that prior to me purchasing it but had to pull the trigger before they ran out).

      Barney of "OFM Adventures" bought a nicer version of mine and ultimately ended up returning it. I figure if he who has more experience than I do with camera equipment could not figure it out what chance did I have?

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.